Transcribed by Joanne Murray. Contributed by Lisa Slaski.
POSTMASTERS. - The post-office was established in Guilford in 1838, and Erastus Dickinson was the first postmaster. He held
the office till 1841, when Dr. John Clark was appointed. He was succeeded in 1845, by Daniel P. Cable, who held it till his removal to New York,
about 1849. Dr. John Clark was again appointed June 22, 1849, and probably held it till 1853. John Hall, Jr., next held it till 1861, when Nathan
W. Cady was appointed and held it till his death in Dec. 1875. Geo. W. Dexter, the present postmaster, was next appointed in January 1876.
PHYSICIANS. - Guilford was supplied at an early day by two physicians who had located at the Center, which was then the largest
village of the two. John Clark, M.D., was, we believe, the first physician who located here and he occupied the field till his death, March 15,
1874, at the age of 61 years, and exclusively with the exception of his son, Richard M., and Dr. Spencer, both of whom are still practicing here.
Dr. John Clark was born in Mayfield, Fulton County, N.Y., Dec. 10, 1812. He studied medicine with Dr. Charles Chambers of
Broadalbin, N.Y., and was graduated at Fairfield Medical College in 1832, shortly before he had gained his majority. He removed to Guilford
in April 1833, and practiced his profession here till his death. Feb. 6, 1843, he married Lucia Ann, daughter of Samuel A. Smith, by whom he had
three children, John who is a lawyer in Ithaca, and Paris G., and Richard M., twins, both of whom are practicing physicians, the former in
Rochester and the latter in Guilford. His widow is still living in Guilford.
Dr. Richard M. Clark was born in Guilford, Oct. 17, 1845, and studied medicine there with his father Dr. John Clark. He entered
Bellevue Hospital Medical College, New York, in 1866, and was graduated there March 1, 1868. He commenced practice that month and year with his
father in Guilford and was thus associated till the death of the latter in 1874. In that year, with his brother Paris G., who also studied medicine
with his father and was graduated at the same time and place as himself, removed from Rochester, where he had been practicing, and formed a
co-partnership with him, which continued two years. Paris G., then returned to Rochester, where he is still practicing.
Source: Smith, James H. History of Chenango And Madison Counties, New York. Pp. 237-238. Syracuse, NY. D. Mason