Churches of Fulton County
~ Bleecker ~
Churches of the Past
* A "Christian" denomination existed in 1878, but owned no property. Services were held at the school house of district No. 1, at Lindley's Corners. Rev. Mr. Styles served at that time.
* Evangelical Methodist Church
was the oldest, organized in 1850, located some three miles north of Bleecker village, on the old plank road. The society was composed of Germans.
* The Lutheran Church
Located two miles northwest of Bleecker, on the old plank road. It was built in 1862 and services were also monthly.
*A Presbyterian Church
Built in 1855 at Bleecker village, Rev. Abijah Green was pastor. After struggling for nineteen years against obstacles and discouragements, the society, in 1874, leased the church property to Hiram Vandeburgh for a term of ninety-nine years, and for the sum of one dollar ; it was soon turned over to and occupied by the Methodist Episcopal Society. The early pastors of the new Methodist society were: Rev. Edwin Genge followed by Revs. Messrs. Coons, Powell, and Taylor. In 1878 the pastor was Amos Osborn.
* St. Joseph's Roman Catholic Church
Existed four miles northwest of Bleecker. It was built in 1858. Services were held monthly.
Present churches in Bleecker
* Bleecker Community Church
Bleecker, New York; Records since 1945
* Bleecker United Methodist Church
Mailing Address: PO Box #203, Mayfield NY 12117-0203
Physical Address: Co. Route 112, Bleecker, NY 12078
Return to Fulton County Page
New York GenWeb
Copyrightę1999 - 2003 Jeanette Shiel
All Rights Reserved.
Last updated Tuesday, 13-May-2008 13:24:44 PDT