Churches of Fulton County
~ Mayfield ~
Mayfield Presbyterian Church
~~~ Past & Present ~~~
* The Baptist Church
Located on the Nine Mile Tree Road, built of logs in 1792. This was also the site of the town's first board meeting. The church continued services at this location until a new one was erected in the village of Broadalbin.
Broadalbin/Mayfield Baptist Church History, (off-site link)
* A Christian Church
Once was located on Jackson Summit, organized about 1868. Members were: Elders Evans and Brown, Daniel Templeton, Josiah and John Dunning, David D. Bishop, and Philip Kring. The society was dissolved before 1877.
* Friends Meeting House
or the Quaker Church. Located about a mile West of the village on a farm owned by W. D. Woodworth. Some early members were: Welcome Capron, Orion Capron, Daniel Mead, Levi, Hardy and Martin Seymour, Mr. Simmons, Abraham Cole, Benjamin Anthony and Jonathan Brown. Meetings were held until 1840, at which time the building was sold to John Servis and used for other purposes.
* A German M. E. Evangelical Association
Was located on Jackson Summit in 1855. Some early members: Jacob Lairch, sen., Jacob Lairch, jr., Barney Lairch, John Yost, John Behlen, John Bruce and Jacob Rivers. This church was still operating in 1877.
The Low Dutch Reformed Church was organized in 1793 with Rev. Conradt Ten Eyck. A church was built where the present "old cemetery" (left) section of the village is located off School Street. Served from 1793-1826. Early members: Resolvent Van Houten and wife, Abraham Romeyn, Abraham Wells, Lucas Brinkerhoff, Peter Snyder, David Becker, Elizabeth Ternuer and Mary Van Buren. See Mayfield Presbyterian Church below.
* Mayfield Presbyterian Church
20 North Main Street, Mayfield, New York 12117
In 1826 the Low Dutch Reformed Church was reorganized under the name of Central Presbyterian Church by Rev. Jeremiah Wood and in 1828 work started on the present church.
* Mayfield United Methodist Church
W. Main Street, Mayfield, New York 12117
Originally organized as the Methodist Episcopal Church, it was first formed between 1800-1805. In 1825 Selah and Rebecca Woodworth presented to the trustees of the church (Paris G. Clark, William McConnell, Samuel Woodworth, John Cozzens and Jacob Woodworth) a land deed upon which they built a church. In 1877, Rev. F. R. Sherwood was pastor.
Return to Fulton County NYGenWeb
Copyrightę1999 - 2003 Jeanette Shiel
All Rights Reserved.
Last updated Tuesday, 13-May-2008 13:25:02 PDT