Tryon County: Part III
Johnstown, N. Y.
September 8 and 9, 1922
Commemorative Service at Cross In The Colonial Cemetery--
Site of the First Episcopal Church Edifice, Erected 1760, In Charge of
St. John's Parish, to be held Friday afternoon at 5 P. M.
Program will include addresses by the Rev. Edward T. Carroll, D. D., rector of St. Ann's Episcopal church of Amsterdam, and the Rev. Harry H. Hall, rector of Trinity Episcopal church of Gloversville.
Vested choir of St. John's church will march in a procession to the Colonial Cemetery and will sing "O God, Our Help in Ages Past."
Memorial Service at Grave of Sir William Johnson,
under direction of St. Patrick's Lodge, No. 4, F. & A. M.
St. John's Episcopal church showing grave
of Sir William Johnson in lower left-hand
corner; (insert) church built by Sir William
in 1770, destroyed by fire in 1836; stood on
the site of present edifice facing north,
grave of Sir William was under chancel.
Church in insert succeeded original
church in Colonial cemetery built in 1760,
first church edifice north of Mohawk
Procession at 5:15 sharp from Masonic Temple to grave of Sir William Johnson in churchyard of St. John's Episcopal church
Invocation.............................................Rev. Charles McKenzie, D. D.
"O God, Our Help in Ages Past".......St. Patrick's Lodge Quartette
Introductory Remarks........................Lee Bradley, Master St. Patrick's Lodge
Placing of Memorial Wreath............Max M. Wilms, Past Master;
T. Cuthell Calderwood, Past Master
"Sir William Johnson"....................Rt. Wor. Alfred D. Dennison, Past District Deputy Grand Master
"Some Masonic References to the Builders of This Republic".........Col. John
W. Vrooman, 33d Degree, Past Grand Master of Masons
of the Grand Lodge of New York and honorary President
of the Mohawk Valley Historical Society
Selection -- "Pleyel's Hymn".......Quartette
Reproduction of First Court of General Quarter Sessions of the Peace,
September 8, 1772, to be held Saturday Morning, September 9, 1922
at 10 o'clock by BAR Associations of Johnstown and Gloversville
Fulton County Court House, built by Sir William
Johnson, dedicated Sept. 8, 1772, at that time the
only Court House nad only brick building between
Albany and the Pacific Ocean; (insert) original
Tryon County Court House and county clerk's
Chief Judge..............Judge William C. Mills
Judges........................Judge William S. Cassedy, McIntyre Fraser, Jr.
Assistant Judges......Wesley H. Maider, Hon. Theodore R. Haviland, Judge
Clarence W. Smith, Judge T. Cuthell Calderwood, Sir John Johnson,
Justices.......................James D. Rogers, Herbert M. Vosburgh, Bernard F. Kearney, Arthur L. Graff,
Alfred D. Dennison, J. William Titcomb
Sheriff..........................John T. Morrison
County Clerk............Fayette E. Moyer
County Clerk............Edward Mohanan
Court Crier................Judge Jeremiah Keck
Bailiffs..........................Alanson C. Haughton, Jeremiah Wood, Gordon P. Young, William E. Walsh
The court room scene will include a historical sketch by Judge William C. Mills of Gloversville and an address by a Supreme Court Judge.
This will be followed by outdoor exercises in front of the Court House including a musical program and an address by William Pierrepont White of Utica, president of the Mohawk Valley Historical Association.
YOUNG PEOPLE WHO TAKE PART IN MINUET
During "Pageant of Dances"
Host and Hostess, Capt. and Mrs. Jelles Fonda...............Mr. and Mrs. Max M. Wilms
Johnstown -- Misses Marion Baker, Mary Jane Dawes, Elizabeth Evans, Helen Ireland, Eleanore Kennedy, Mary Mead, Margaret Northrup and Arlene Veghte, John M. Carroll, Sidney Dorn, Campbell Doubleday, John Evans, Kenneth Lyke, Frank A. Prindle, Jr., Edwin Vosburgh and Frederick Vosburgh.
Gloversville -- Misses Frances Simmons, Ashley Burton, Eloise Barclay, Elise Sowles, Edith Lenz, Marion Sjicer, Dorothy Sayre and Dorothy Dempster, Grant Patterson, Willard Dann, Roger Haviland, Edward Wood, John Wood, Robert Scribner, Leslie Houck and Franklin Brown.
COMMITTEE OF JOHNSTOWN AND GLOVERSVILLE WOMEN
WHO WILL ASSIST MRS. EDWARD WELLS AND MRS. WILLIAM C. MILLS
IN WELCOMING GUESTS AT THE COLONIAL CLUB.
THE WOMEN WILL BE AT THE CLUB FRIDAY AND SATURDAY
FROM 10 A. M. UNTIL 6 P.M. AND MEMBERS OF THE COMMITTEE
WILL SERVE TWO HOURS AT A TIME.
Mrs. T. Cuthell Calderwood, Mrs. John W. Uhlinger, Mrs. William T. Briggs, Mrs. Hiram Argersinger, Mrs. William M. Grant, Mrs. Donald Fraser, Mrs. William C. Hutchens, Mrs. Godfrey Hillabrandt, Miss Jennie Haring, Mrs. David Ireland, Mrs. John W. Hagadorn, Mrs. James A. Northrup, Mrs. A. J. Baker, Miss Mary Argersinger.
Mrs. McIntyre Fraser, Jr., Mrs. Arthur B. Wassung, Mrs. John L. Potter, Mrs. Luella Mosher, Mrs. David Hays, Mrs. Sidney Argersinger, Mrs. Everett M. Kennedy, Mrs. James M. Evans, Mrs. James S. Ireland, Mrs. Ella Dennison, Miss Anna Younglove, Mrs. Fred Linus Carroll, Mrs. Albert M. Banker, Mrs. Caroline Evans, Mrs. McIntyre Fraser, Sr., Mrs. Frank J. Palmer, Mrs. George C. Potter and Mrs. William C. Hackney.
Visitor's Guide to Places of Historical Interest in and About the City of Johnstown, Arranged by the Historical Society.
For the visitor to follow a continuous route, commence at the Grave of Sir William Johnson in the church yard of St. John's Episcopal Church on North Market Street, just north of Main Street; the grave is marked by a marble slab and four corner stones. This grave was originally under the chancel of the church which faced north; the church was destroyed by fire and when rebuilt was faced on North Market Street leaving the grave outside of the walls.
Passing through Church Street westerly we come out in front of the Court House, built by Sir William Johnson in 1772, being the oldest, and when built, the most westerly Court House in the United States. In the cupola is the Triangle used to announce the sessions of court since September 8, 1772. In this venerable Temple of Justice Sir William presided during his life, and it has since been honored by the professional presence of such jurists as Daniel Cady, Alexander Hamilton, Aaron Burr, Abraham Van Vechten, Elisha Williams, Joshua A. Spencer, Nicholas Hill and other eminent men.
Passing north on North William Street to Green Street (formerly Old Sacandaga Street) is the Drumm House built in 1763 by Sir William Johnson and for some time occupied by the school master who taught his children in the First Free School in the State of New York.
Just east of this facing on Green Street and extending to North Market Street is the Colonial Cemetery containing the graves of Major Richard Dodge, his wife (Anna Sarah Irving) sister of Washington Irving, Colonel Archibald McIntyre, Colonel James Livingston, Major John Little, Captain Amaziah Rust, Captain Henry Pawling, Surgeon William Reid, Lieutenant William Wallace, Samuel Kennedy, Captain Clement Sadlier, Surgeon Thomas Reid, Soldiers of the Revolution and the War of 1812. Here are also graves of other persons of note in their day, including John Baptist Vaumane de Fon Claire, Captain under Louis XVI, and Talmadge Edwards, who started the Glove Industry in this country. At the west end of the Cemetery, now marked by a granite cross, was the site of St. John's Episcopal Church, built in 1760, being the first church edifice north of the Mohawk River.
Passing north westerly at the junction of West State and Mill Streets is the Streeter Grist Mill. A portion of this mill was constructed from the timbers of the Grist Mill originally built by Sir William Johnson just west of Johnson Hall.
Proceeding westerly we come to the monument to Sir William Johnson at the intersection of Hall Avenue, erected in 1905 by the Aldine Society.
Passing westerly along Hall Avenue we come to Johnson Hall built by Sir William Johnson in 1762, the only Baronial Mansion now standing in the United States. It was flanked by two stone forts on the westerly side, which was most exposed to attack, one of which forts is still standing.
The Hall and about eighteen acres of land was purchased by the State of New York in 1907 and placed in the custody of the Johnstown Historical Society. Opposite the Hall was the usual camping place of the Indians who came to see Sir William Johnson.
The visitor to the interior of the Hall will find many things of historic interest. Here may be seen the upper-chamber in which St. Patrick's Lodge F. & A. M. was instituted, in 1766, where, with Sir William as Master, the Lodge met before the erection of a building for its use. Attention will be directed to marks made by the Indian Chief Brant with his tomahawk on the mahogany stair-rail leading to the second story, which appear from top to bottom. As to what moved Brant to these acts of vandalism, there are conflicting traditions; one that he left the marks for a sign to the Indians not to burn the house; the other that, assembled in the upper hall with friendly Indians, and hearing the approach of a company of militia, he left in haste and rage, inflicting the savage blows in malice. This historic mansion was the scene of great activity during the life of Sir William and the center of an influence which largely shaped the destinies of the United Colonies. Many Indian councils were held here within a circle of Locust trees still standing in front of the Hall.
The original highway came up along the creek and passed just in front of the Caretaker's Cottage. Just east of the cottage is an old Black Walnut Tree said to have been planted by Sir William; just east of the stone arch bridge was the site of Sir Williams' Grist Mill and just west of that were the quarters for his servants and slaves.
Passing north on Johnson Avenue near its junction with O'Neil Avenue is a boulder with a bronze tablet, placed there by the Daughters of the American Revolution to mark the site of the battle field where was fought, October 28, 1781, the Battle of Johnstown, said to be the last battle of the Revolutionary War. About fourteen hundred men were engaged in the fight. The retreating enemy was pursued as far as West Canada Creek, where Walter Butler, the Tory leader, was killed. Lieutenant William Wallace, who was wounded in this battle, pointed out its location to the late Henry Schuyler.
Returning to William Street, which during the times of Sir William, was the principal business street diagonally across from the Court House will be found the site of the First Free School in New York, established by Sir William in 1764.
Passing up South William Street to West Clinton Avenue, at the northeast corner, is the site of the Old Tice Tavern, at which General LaFayette stopped while on a visit here in 1778.
Passing up South William one block further to Montgomery Street, southeast corner, you come to the Younglove Homestead. Formerly Jimmie Burke's Inn, built in 179_ [sic], now bearing a sign 'The Black Horse Tavern." The sign of Jimmie Burke, used on this tavern, is in the Sir William Johnson Mansion.
One block east and nearly a block south at Number 110 South Market Street, in the rear of some dwellings is the Old Academy, built in 1798. For many years in its cupola hung the bell sent to this country by Queen Ann for Queen Ann's Chapel at Fort Hunter, about 1710.
Returning to Montgomery Street (part of the old road from Albany to Stone Arabia and west) one block east at the corner of South Perry Street, may be seen the jail built in 1772, which at first was used for all the State west of Schenectady County. It was stockaded and guarded by two block houses on the corners of the streets, and gave the best protection of any building in America against all weapons of warfare, except artillery, and was known as "Fort Johnstown." In the yard fronting the building the Johnstown Historical Society, on Decoration Day, 1900, planted a cannon and cannon balls, in memory of the Patriot Heroes of the battle of Johnstown and to mark the site of the old Fort Johnstown.
Passing east on Montgomery Street four blocks you come to Persse addition, where stands the Old Lodge building, erected 1794. The Masonic Lodge held its meetings here for seventy-three years and during the Anti-Masonic excitement.
Proceeding north on Perry Street to East Main Street and east on Main Street (formerly New Sacandaga Street) to the junction of East State Street may be seen the Soldiers Monument; Just east may be seen Union Hall, built in 1798 by Vaumain de Fon Claire, and kept by him as a Hotel.
Tradition says that it was in this house that Nicholas Stoner, the noted soldier and hunter, killed the Indian who had killed Stoner's father, although there is another tradition that this event occurred at Tice's Tavern instead of at Union Hall.
A few miles south of the city may be seen in a good state of preservation the "Butler House" built in 1742 by Colonel John Butler and later occupied by his son Walter Butler, who was killed at West Canada Creek after the Battle of Johnstown.
A few miles east at Fort Johnson is the home of William Johnson before he was made a Baronet.
The first Patent was granted in 1723.
The Indian name for Johnstown in 1750 was Ka-lan-e-ka.
Johnstown incorporated as a Village 1808.
Johnstown incorporated as a City 1895.
St. Patrick's Lodge No. 4, F. & A. M., chartered 1766.
First newspaper published 1796.
Manufacturing of gloved introduced about 1803.
First bank incorporated 1831.
First great fire occurred 1834.
First telegraph introduced 1857.
Gas first introduced 1857.
Fonda, Johnstown & Gloversville R. R. completed 1870.
First horse railroad 1874.
First electric railroad 1893.
Present waterworks built 1878.
Electric lights introduced 1887.
First asphalt pavement laid 1891.
Johnstown Historical Society organized 1892.
Johnson Hall erected 1762.
The Drumm House erected 1763.
First Masonic Lodge building erected 1794.
Union Hall erected 1798.
Academy erected 1798.
Y. M. C. A. building erected 1902.
Johnstown Public Library erected 1902.
Colonial Club building erected 1905.
Johnson Hall purchased by State of New York 1907.
The first Episcopal Church was erected 1760.
The first Methodist Episcopal Church was erected 1792.
The first Presbyterian Church was erected 1799.
The first Lutheran Church was erected 1816.
The first United Presbyterian Church was erected 1830.
The first True Reformed Church was erected 1838.
The first Baptist Church was erected 1851.
The first Roman Catholic Church was erected 1869.
The first A. M. E. Zion Church was erected 1873.
The first Reformed Church was erected 1895.
St. Mark's Lutheran Church was erected 1896.
COMMITTEES FOR CELEBRATION
Public Spirited Men and Women of Johnstown, Gloversville and Outside Towns Who Planned Memorial For Tryon County's One Hundred and Fiftieth Anniversary - General Committees Appointed by Chairman Richard H. Lee of Fulton County Board of Supervisors to Launch Memorial Plans.
Hon. Eberly Hutchinson, chairman, Johnstown; Hon. Cyrus Durey, Johnstown; Edward C. Wells, Johnstown; Jesse B. Foster, Gloversville; Hon. W. S. Cassedy, Gloversville; Rev. W. W. Ellsworth, Johnstown; Robert W. Chambers, Broadalbin; Nelson L. Finch, Broadalbin; Leroy T. Bradford, Broadalbin; Mrs. Charles B. Knox, Johnstown; Mrs. Richard M. Evans, Johnstown; Rev. Charles McKenzie, D. D., Johnstown; John T. Morrison, Johnstown; Fayette E. Moyer, Johnstown; W. S. Sammons, Sammonsville.
Hon. Frank A. Patten, Gloversville; Hon. Percy Ripton, Johnstown; Wesley H. Maider, Gloversville; Elliott S. Timmerman, Johnstown; Hon. Burt Z. Kasson, Gloversville; Hon. A. D. L. Baker, Gloversville; Hon. William C. Mills, Gloversville; Horton D. Wright, Gloversville; Frank L. Rogers, Johnstown; Hon. Lucius N. Littauer, Gloversville; S. Elmore Burton, Gloversville; Rev. M. J. Horan, Johnstown; Hon. W. Ellison Mills, Gloversville; Frank Burton, Gloversville; Samuel Rothschild, Gloversville; J. William Titcomb, Gloversville; Egbert T. Cross, Johnstown; J. Ellsworth Stille, Gloversville; Lee. H. Ingram, Johnstown; Hon. T. Cuthell Calderwood, Johnstown; Mark L. Dutcher, Gloversville; E. K. Cassedy, Gloversville; George E. Wilkins, Mayfield.
Mrs. Horton D. Wright, Rep. D. A. R., Gloversville; Mrs. Bethune M. Grant, Jr., Rep. D. A. R., Johnstown; Rev. Fred L. Decker, Rep. Ministerial Association, Fulton Co., Gloversville; William J. Galpin, Johnstown; Edgar D. Gordon, Johnstown; Fred L. Carroll, Rep. Fulton Co. Bar Association, Johnstown; S. Lee Bradley, Master St. Patrick's lodge Johnstown; Edward C. MacIntyre, President Y. M. C. A., Johnstown; C. N. Harris, President Y. M. C. A., Gloversville; Gloversville; Fred B. King, Morning Herald, Gloversville; Edward H. Mills, Leader-Republican, Gloversville; Editor George F. Beakley, Johnstown; Henry S. Gage, Johnstown; John M. Paris, Broadalbin; F. A. Stryker, Stratford; Herbert M. Vosburgh, Johnstown; Henry W. Schumann, Gloversville; Frank Bogaskie, Johnstown; Hon. Jeremiah Keck, President Fulton County Historical Association, Johnstown; George Fenton, Broadalbin; Isaac Moses, President Chamber of Commerce, Gloversville; Denton D. Lake, Clerk of Supervisors, Gloversville.
SUB-COMMITTEES APPOINTED BY
CHAIRMAN EBERLY HUTCHINSON
Edward Wells, Johnstown, chairman; Judge William C. Mills, Gloversville; Richard H. Lee, Broadalbin, Chairman of Board of Supervisors; Attorney Fred Linus Carroll, Judge T. Cuthell Calderwood and Attorney John T. Morrison, Johnstown.
Attorney Fred Linus Carroll, chairman; Edward C. MacIntyre, Rev. Wolcott W. Ellsworth, Elliott S. Timmerman, Attorney John T. Morrison, Richard H. Lee, Samuel Rothschild, Judge A. D. L. Baker, Mrs. Bethune M. Grant, Jr., Mrs. Charles B. Knox, Mrs. Horton D. Wright, Judge T. Cuthell Calderwood, Mrs. S. Elmore Burton and Judge William C. Mills.
PUBLICITY AND SOUVENIR PROGRAM
J. Clarence Hennelly, chairman, Johnstown; Thomas P. Faherty, Bethune M. Grant, Jr., Harold Pitman, Stephen Scovic, Louis J. Merwin, John E. Bordis, William C. Hespelt, F. Maurice Hanson, William Connolly; Gloversville, J. Edward Kean, Roy E. Fairman, Walter F. Hine, Mel H. Young, Robert M. Colt.
Mrs. Bethune M. Grant, Jr. and Mrs. Charles B. Knox, general chairmen;
Chairman of Gloversville Women - Miss Katherine Smith;
Chairmen of Dance Pageant, Johnstown - Mrs. Edward C. McIntyre
Gloversville- Miss Dorothy Dempster
Pageant Publicity and Theatre Attraction - Malcolm Hughes
Horses - Harvey Alpaugh
Stage Settings - Giles B. Fonda
Stage Carpenter - George W. Randall
General Details - S. Elmore Burton and Elliott S. Timmerman
Carriages - Louis B. Wolfe
Filibuster Parade - Fred Ramsey and William B. White
Committee on Indian Characters - Johnstown, Myron Merrill and Miss Eunice Steele
- Gloversville, Fred Gardner and Mrs. Mary Brown
Costume Manager - Ralph O. Wiggins
Costume Committee --
Mrs. Frank Rowles Mrs. Edwin Vosburgh
Mrs. Adelaide K. Flanders Miss Elizabeth Ireland
Mrs. Herbert Topp Miss Florence Ferres
Mrs. Max Wilms Mrs. Edward Berington
Mrs. John L. Potter Miss Gertrude Hughes
Miss Katherine O'Connor Mrs. Chauncey Ruoff
Mrs. Gertrude Steele Mrs. Samuel Rothschild
Mrs. Horton D. Wright Mrs. Harry Pursell
Mrs. Harry Hilts Mrs. E. L. Parkhurst
Mrs. Albert Hertz
ILLUMINATING AND DECORATING
Giles B. Fonda, chairman; John Vaughn, William B. White and William E. Hughes
Grover E. Yerdon, chairman; Edward Bevington, Fred Collins, Edward C. McIntyre and H. W. L. Jenner.
Cyrus Durey, chairman; James S. Ireland, John A. Willard, Elmer Little, George C. Hartin, Edward J. Lucas, Frank Curtin, George McGregor, W. N. Zimmer, L. K. Maylender, Jr., Albert Rosenthal, Charles W. Pursell, Harry G. Hilts, William C. Hutchens, Forrest P. Gates, Lansing Kilmer, Guy D. Smith, Herbert VanVoast, John G. Ferres.
James M. Evans, chairman; James E. Ireland, Martin Kennedy, William J. Adams, Charles Harris and Walter Smith.
John T. Morrison, chairman; Dr. Raymond C. Petrie, Mrs. Helen J. VanVliet, George F. Beakley, Lee H. Ingram, Thomas P. Faherty, William Windsor, George E. Wilkins, Harold W. Ward, James D. Pierson, Fred Lynes, J. M. Thompson, Josiah H. Danforth, J. Burton Streeter, A. J. Baker, Isaac M. Boyce, George H. Chapman and Nelson L. Finch.
Peter Joyce, chairman; William Keaveney, Paul Gordon, Anthony Wilt, Otto Ilse, Patrick J. Fleming, Elmer Putman.
Committees appointed to plan commemorative service under direction of Bar Associations of Johnstown and Gloversville.
Judge A. D. L. Baker, Gloversville, presiding.
Committee on Arrangements:
Judge Jeremiah Keck, John T. Morrison, Horton D. Wright, Edward K. Cassedy, Lee S. Anibal, Jeremiah Wood, Harold W. Ward, Arthur L. Graff, Edward Monahan, Gordon P. Young, Henry W. Thorne, Borden D. Smith, N. M. Banker, E. D. Scribner.
Fred Linus Carroll, Wesley H. Maider, and Frank Burton.
William B. Baker, Alfred Dennison, Theodore Haviland, Fayette E. Moyer, James Wood.
Judge C. W. Smith, Judge W. S. Cassedy, Bernard W. Kearney, McIntyre Fraser, J. William Titcomb.
Return to Fulton County NYGenWeb
Copyright ©, 2002 Peggy Menear, Jeanette Shiel
All Rights Reserved.
Last updated Tuesday, 13-May-2008 13:14:32 PDT
Server space is generously provided by RootsWeb.