HISTORY OF GLOVERSVILLE.
The Gloversville Daily Leader,
of the Date of
Saturday, October 28, 1899.
The Gloversville Daily Leader,
NOTE: The Index corresponds with the blue numbers in the left hand corner as you scroll down the page.
A city that is known throughout the civilized world, a name that signifies home, comfort and luxury to many thousands of happy and contented human beings. From a stump city it has become an enduring city of marble and brick and stone. Scores of steam whistles record the hour of morning, noon day and night, and the hum of industry is heard in all directions. Electric cars glide swiftly along the boulevards and the startling screech of the steam locomotives adds greatly to the confusion. A network of wires enables the people to quickly communicate, and the glorious orb of day is almost equaled in brilliancy by the powerful electric lights at night. A vast stock of literature is found in the free library and the unfortunates are successfully treated in the Nathan Littauer hospital. The brick blocks and beautiful residences are evidences of successful business, and the fine mausoleums and mammoth monuments in Prospect Hill Cemetery prove that many thoughtful people have caused their last resting places to be beautifully embellished. The fine school buildings show that the children are not forgotten, and the many churches prove that the commands of the Great Creator are regularly observed. The stranger who now rides rapidly over the elegant brick pavement in Gloversville, or leisurely passes along her stone sidewalks, would hardly believe that this was the place that was named "Stump City" by Jonathan
Sedgwick, 83 years ago, and that this locality was originally covered by a dense pine forest. The presence of multitudes of mammoth pine stumps caused the place to become known as "Stump City." From the time of the American Revolution until about the year 1816, the region of country extending from the Mayfield Mountains on the north to within two miles of the village of Johnstown, and bounded east by the town line, and reaching indefinitely west, was known by the name of Kingsboro. The whole region was included in what was called the Caughnawaga district. Prior to the above named period, this section was inhabited by Scotch loyalists, who, at the commencement of the struggle for liberty, immigrated to Nova Scotia. The remains of some of their ancestors and relatives are buried in the old Green Street Cemetery at Johnstown. Near the close of the seventeenth century there were three principal settlements in the immediate locality of what is now known as Gloversville. One settlement was at Kingsboro Center, one in the vicinity of McNab's Mills, on what is now known as West Fulton Street, and the other was located on the four corners northeast of what is now the Prospect Hill cemetery. The names of some of the heads of families at the Mills were as follows: James Lard, a magistrate; Job Heacock, ancestor of the Heacocks once residing in Kingsboro; Jehial Griswold; Benjamin Crosset, a Loyalist of the Revolution; Robert, Charles and John Wilson, brothers, with whom lived with their mother the widow Wilson and their grandmother the widow Grieg, whose eldest son, Captain Greig, was an officer in the American Army, and was captured by Indians; Thomas Mann, Asa Jones, grandfather of Col. Harvey Jones, Rev. John Lindley, minister of the church at Kingsboro Center; Samuel Giles and William C. Mills. There were then but two houses standing between the described settlement and the settlement on the hill.
One of those dwellings, which was occupied by William Ward, Sen., stood a few rods west of where the Congregational Church is now located. The more conspicuous people then living at the four corners on the hill, were Daniel Bedford, proprietor of a store and tavern; Rev. George Throop, a Presbyterian minister; Col. Josiah Throop his brother, and Rev. William Throop, son of Col. Josiah Throop, and Stephen Hartshorn. The Throops, who came from Nova Scotia, were people of culture and refinement, but of decayed fortunes. Col. Throop, who was a scholar and poet, is survived by some of his manuscripts. Rev. William Throop preached to a Baptist congregation in West Kingsboro. Enos T. Throop, son of George B. Throop, was probably born at the settlement on the hill, August 21, 1784, was later became one of the most prominent citizens in the State of New York. He was admitted to the bar at Albany in 1805, and later became a resident of Auburn. In 1814, he represented in Congress the district comprising the counties of Cayuga, Seneca, Tioga and Broome. In 1823, he was appointed Circuit Judge in the seventh circuit, which comprised Cayuga County. He was elected Lieutenant Governor of the State of New York in 1828, together with Martin Van Buren as Governor. After two months' service Governor Van Buren resigned, and Throop became governor on March 12, 1829. In 1830 he was re-elected Governor of the State of New York, receiving 128,842 votes. His opponents were Francis Granger, who received 120,361 votes, and Ezekiel Williams, who received 2,332 votes. His successor in office was William L. Marcy.
Ex-Governor Throop was naval officer of the port of New York until 1838, when he was appointed minister to the two Sicilies. He died at Willowbrook, near Auburn, on November 1, 1874. The remains of some of the Throop family are buried in the old Green Street Cemetery at Johnstown. Most of the above named families passed away, leaving no trace behind them, but Samuel Giles, William C. Mills, William Ward, and later James Burr, with their immediate descendants, and families, are generally considered to have been the FOUNDERS OF GLOVERSVILLE.
Gloversville is situated on the Cayadutta, a stream whose tributaries rise in the northern and western hills. The Cayadutta, which carries an Indian name, furnishes excellent water power for operating various sorts of machinery. Passing southwesterly through the city of Johnstown it empties into the Mohawk river at Fonda, some eight miles distant. Half a century ago the Cayadutta furnished an abode for beautiful specimens of the finny tribe. Some thirty-six years since its clear waters were utilized for immersing those who wished to become members of the Baptist Church on South Main Street. The place in the creek usually selected for baptizing the newly converted was some distance southerly from the church, and not far from the locality now known as Pine Street. But for many years past the discolored waters of the Cayadutta have appeared to lose their allurements for the speckled beauties, and also their cleansing propensities to heal the wicked and un-Godly.
The first-names, founder of Gloversville, came from Vermont. He was born April 6, 1757. He married Laurana Holmes, January 8, 1783, who was born January 17, 1762, and died October 23, 1850. His children were Lemuel, Jennison, Mary and Sarah. Samuel Giles died October 20, 1841. Some thirty-five years ago one of his descendants was a well-known merchant in Gloversville. Samuel Giles was a deacon in the Presbyterian Church.
WILLIAM C. MILLS.
The second named founder of Gloversville, was born August 19, 1758. He married Phebe Prindle, who was born February 4, 1763 and died Mary 15, 1833. His children were: William T., Amaryllis, Polly, Betsey, Philo, Roswell, David, Charles, Sidney, Abraham W., and Mary. One of his great-grandsons is now District Attorney of the County of Fulton.
WILLIAM WARD, SEN.
The third named founder of Gloversville, was born February 26, 1758, and died May 26, 1812. He married Zenoviah Murdock, March 14, 1782, who was born December 5, 1761, and died June 25, 1839. His children were Abraham and Isaac, twins; John, Elizabeth, Mary, Phebe, William, Henry, Susan, Elias G., Jennison (C. or G.). The last named child became a well-known official in Gloversville, and also represented the Fulton-Hamilton district as assemblyman in 1841.
The last mentioned founder of Gloversville, who was born December 12, 1779, married Amaryllis Mills. His children were Caroline, Horatio L., Selina, James H., Francis, William H., and David M. The Burrs came from New England stock. Nathaniel Burr, father of James Burr coming from Connecticut to Kingsboro one hundred and five years ago, where he settled, and where he died in about the year 1822. One of James Burr's descendants represented the Fulton-Hamilton district, as assemblyman in 1861 and also in 1862. James Burr died in the year 1855, aged about 76.
Son of one of the founders of Gloversville, was born March 28, 1791. He married Susan Steele, April 1817. In 1835, Philo Mills was travelling to Schenectady in the night with a loaded sleigh. The sleigh was upset upon him, and in that condition he was found dead the following morning. His son Sydney died many years ago.
Son of one of the founders of Gloversville, died in 1855, aged 72 years. The Wards were tin manufacturers; William C. Mills followed the avocation of farmer and miller; and Samuel Giles was a farmer and tanner. The tin business being most prevalent, John Monroe and the Leonard's of West Bush, and Chester Phelps of North Kingsboro, were found engaged in the trade.
Who was born in Connecticut, settled near what is now known as Gloversville, early in the present century. In about 1815, he erected a tin shop at Phelps Street, where he successfully conducted the manufacture of tinware for many years. He passed to his reward long ago and his remains are reposing in Gloversville. His brother, Hiram G. Phelps, established the first tin shop in Gloversville, near the corner of Main and Church Streets. The late Hon. John J. Hanson first learned his trade in the shop of Mr. Phelps. Hiram G. Phelps removed far west, where he died and was buried. Several of his relatives reside in Gloversville.
The Leonard's constitute one of the most numerous and most respectable family connections of the first inhabitants of Kingsboro. The Leonard's residing in Gloversville are descendants of some of the following six brothers: Rufus, Reuben, Josiah, Daniel, Abner and Harvey.
Was born September 22, 1779, and died October 12, 1852. He married Freelove Case, November 19, 1801, who was born September 1, 1780, and died November 29, 1842. His children were Minerva, Willard, Harriet, Elihu C., Freelove S., Josiah A., Elijah H., Jane, Ann C., Amelia C., Alvira E.
Who was born October 19, 1791, married Polly Kellogg, who died April 21, 1808. Their children were Margaret, Horace K., Frederick W. For his second wife he married Mary Easton, April 23, 1809, who was born August 22, 1789. Their children were Edward, Polly, Elizabeth, Josiah, Anna, Daniel and Marcellus G.
Who was born June 4, 1786, married Candace Owen, who was born August 14, 1789. He married Susan Hills, December 18, 1839. His children were Candace E., Alvin H., Josiah C., Elizabeth T., Jason S., Hiram M., Andelusia E., Harriet E.
Son of Daniel, was born March 16, 1810. He married Clarissa Briggs, March 27, 1832, who was born November 15, 1810. His children were Edward, Clarissa B., Mary E., Edward P., and Reuben S. He was a prominent citizen and erected a fine brick residence on West Fulton Street about 45 years ago.
One of the early settlers of Phelps Street, was there the proprietor of a tannery and shoe shop. He personally peddled his boots and shoes through northern New York, receiving cash and deer skins in payment. He died from a fever contracted in the metropolis and his remains are buried in the cemetery at Kingsboro.
In 1803 Ezekiel Case brought from Cincinnati a knowledge of manufacturing leather from deerskins, and was engaged for some time in the business on a limited scale at Kingsboro.
In 1805, William C. Mills, one of the founders of Gloversville, commenced his annual trips to Holland Purchase to buy wheat for flouring purposes, and also deer skins for manufacture. From four to five hundred skins constituted his yearly purchases. Talmadge Edwards of Johnstown and Ezekiel Case of Kingsboro dressed the skins. William T. Mills, son of one of the founders of Gloversville, and James Burr, one of the founders, both learned the art of manufacturing from Messrs. Edwards and Case. For many subsequent years Mills and Burr were the most extensive and noted manufacturers.
WILLIAM T. MILLS.
Who was born May 17, 1782, died rather early in life. He married Polly Case, April 20, 1808, who was born June 3, 1786. His children were Huldah, William A., Samuel S., Willard C., Darius C., and Jane H.
James Burr, whose partial record has already been given, continued to extend his operations, to invest and adapt machinery to simplify and improve the various processes, and to give the business that character and currency which have conferred upon him the distinction of being considered the true founder and establisher of the buckskin manufacture in the locality now known as Gloversville. He received for patenting the "bucktail," a royalty of 50 cents per hundred skins. He operated a mill about where Main Street now crosses the Cayadutta Creek in this city.
Of Kingsboro engaged in the business in about the year 1810. He made annual trips to Pennsylvania for skins, and became a manufacturer on a scale nearly as extensive as Burr and Mills. He was a man of great energy and decision of character. His enterprise, activity and success gave fair tokens of an increasingly prosperous future, but he died quite suddenly, in his early manhood, in the year 1815.
Ancestor of the Cases, emigrated from Connecticut to Kingsboro a little before the commencement of the eighteenth century, where he soon died at an advanced age. His children were Darius, Elihu, Ashbel and Allen.
DARIUS CASE, SEN.
Married Lois Foote. His children were Darius, Jr., Justus, Samuel, Rufus, Polly, Rhoda and Maria.
ELIHU CASE, SEN.
Married Miss Burr, a sister of Nathaniel Burr. His children were Elihu Jr., Ira and Chauncey.
DARIUS CASE, JR.
Was born March 30, 1782. He married Betsey Leonard, December 28, 1805 who was born February 21, 1784, and died September 26, 1824. He next married Sophia Boylston, February 20, 1830, who was born November 5, 1793. Issue by his first marriage, Nancy, Josiah L., Helen, Harvey and Jason. By his second marriage Jerome B.
JEROME B. CASE.
Was born January 27, 1835. He married Sarah Ferguson, December 21, 1856, who was born September 2, 1834.
ELIHU CASE, JR.
Was born January 21, 1783, and died January 29, 1832. He married Jerusha Kellogg, October 3, 1805, who died August 29, 1911. He then married Anna West, November 13, 1814 (?), who died September 11, 1842. His children were Jerusha M., Sherman W., Amanda A., Mary, Nancy G. and Jane A. Jerusha married D. S. Tarr; Mary married Clinton Leonard; Nancy G. married Denton Smith; and Jane A. married Rev. Wilson Ingalls.
SHERMAN W. CASE.
Son of Elihu, Jr., was born November 11, 1808. He married Mary Hosmer, July 3, 1832, who was born March 16, 1809. His children were Charlotte A., Wilbur S., Mary E., James W., Alanson H., Thomas S., and Alice M.
Son of Elihu, Sen., was born June 7, 1787. He married Mary Smith, October 5, 1809, who was born June 21, 1789. He was one of the pioneer leather dressers and glove makers who resided in the locality of Phelps Street. This was prior to the time of skin mills and Mr. Case milled his skins by shipping them around a post. His children were Uriel, Margaret, Zina, Rufus, William, Joseph, Freelove, Elihu, Henry and Eliza R. (unsure of initial).
About forty years ago, Uriel, Zina and William Case were well known manufacturers in Gloversville. Uriel resided near where the Presbyterian Church is now located, and William and Zina at one time resided on South Main Street. Elihu now resides near Tribes Hill.
Son of Ira, was born July 23, 1810. He married Lucinda Jameson, March 17, 1836. No children.
Son of Ira, was born February 25, 1815. He married Louisa Leonard, February 14, 1837, who died February 19, 1849. He then married Anna M. Clark, January 23, 1850. His daughter's name was Amelia.
Son of Ira, was born September 10, 1819. He married Mary Matthews, November 18, 1846. His children were Emma L., Frances E., and Ella M. He removed to Syracuse many years ago.
Son of Ira, was born March 23, 1817. He married Miss Poole.
Son of Ira, was born September 29, 1822. He married Thankful Smith.
Son of Elihu, Jr., married a daughter of Cornelius Thomas. His children were Hillard (can't read first letter of name, believe is H), Henry and Sarah.
The first school house in "Stump City" was a small wooden structure built in the year 1800, and stood about one-fourth of a mile west of the Fulton Street bridge. The school house built, second, was erected about 1814, on the northwest corner of Main and Fulton streets. The business wants of the village rendered necessary the removal of the school house in 1836. The third school house, a two-story wood building was erected on the north side of Fulton Street, not far from the Cayadutta. In 1849, the last named building was replaced by another structure, which many years ago ceased to exist as a school house. The Union Seminary was erected on North Main Street, in 1854, at a cost of $21,000. It had accommodations for sixty boarders and two hundred day scholars. The school buildings of Gloversville now rank with the best of central New York.
VALUE OF LANDS.
In what is now known as Gloversville, have increased at a tremendous ration. All the land lying north of Fulton and west of Bleecker streets, and all lying between Main, Fulton and Water streets, and owned by William T. Mills, was sold in 1825, to Samuel Giles, for $500. William Ward, Sen., owned, previous to the year 1808, all the land east of Bleecker and north of Fulton streets, and all south of Fulton Street, from nearly opposite the Congregational Church to the eastern limits of the village. That portion once called the "Hardy" place, including all west of Main to Bleecker streets, and north of Fulton Street, was sold, in the year 1820, for $500.; and all the remaining lands of William Ward, Sen., owned by Deacon Abraham Ward, were sold, in 1833 for $800. Thirty acres lying south of Fulton and east of Main Streets, and owned by Jennison Giles, were sold to Jennison G. Ward in 1836, for $1800. In 1864, the lot located on the southeast corner of Bleecker and Church streets, containing a house and barn, and adjoining the old Methodist Church lot, was sold by Stephen Van Vranken, for $1500, to the writer of this article who later occupied the premises.
Since that day the property has sold for almost as many thousands. Although since that time, almost all the surrounding buildings have been destroyed by fire, the same dwelling which was sold by Mr. Van Vranken, is still owed by Mrs. James Robinson, and has for many years been utilized by her as a residence and millinery establishment.
Received its name, at the suggestion of Jennison Giles and Henry Churchill, in 1838, on the occasion of locating a post office. Until that time, the place had been called "Stump City." Until 1830, the village was a mere hamlet, of fourteen dwelling houses. During the years 1831-32, three more houses were added, and from that time forward the village progressed in a gradually increasing ratio, until 1859, when it contained five hundred dwellings and three thousand inhabitants. For the three years ending 1857, one hundred and fourteen houses were built, making a yearly average of thirty-eight. The village was incorporated in the year 1851. The business of manufacturing also gradually increased until 1859, when four-fifths of the inhabitants were directly or indirectly concerned in the trade. The capital then invested was more than a half million of dollars. In 1856, the business men of Gloversville were as follows:
DRY GOODS AND GROCERIES.
C. Hutchinson, Son & Son & Co.;
E. C. Burton & Co.;
D. V. Adams;
N. ____. Littauer;
J. K. & S. Sexton;
Combs & Burton, groceries;
L. R. Fox.
Peak & Hogaboom.
BOOT AND SHOE DEALERS.
Jones & Van Vranken.
F. B. Knowles;
STOVES AND TINNARS.
Phelps & Ingraham.
FLOUR AND FEED.
Phelps & Brown.
C. R. Bellows;
D. S. Tarr.
PAPER BOX MANUFACTURERS.
H. & J. Dickinson;
Beck & Starch;
Fox & Demerast;
J. H. Seymour.
PHYSICIANS AND SURGEONS.
C. J. Newton;
IMPORTERS OF SKINS.
C. R. M. & Co.;
Kasson & Hosmer;
DOORS, SASH AND BLINDS.
H. S. Smith.
Wells & Streeter;
A. C. Kasson, agt.;
J. H. Nanger & Co.;
D. A. Spaulding, who was agent for the Grover & Baker machine.
John S. Enos;
W. S. Adams.
MITTEN AND GLOVE MANUFACTURERS.
Leonard & Piersons;
Churchill & Co.;
J. H. Burr;
D. & S. Wills;
W. C. Allen;
Z. & W. Case;
D. A. Spaulding;
Sherwood W. Haggart;
Plummer & Welch;
J. V. Place;
A. Judson & Co.;
E. G. Ward;
Ward & McNab;
Valentine & Everett;
U. N. & W. H. Place;
Cole & Wrigley Place & Johnson;
H. Leonard; S. W. Chamberlain & Son;
Case & Russell;
Dunson & Sprague;
Wells & Quackenboss;
Wells & Bowen;
__. & C. Mills;
T. O. Brown;
P. & S. Graff;
J. C. & H. M. Leonard;
W. C. Miller & Co. Mills & Leonard;
C. & J. Sunderland;
G. W. Hildreth.
In 1856, the village of Johnstown contained, besides fifty-five business places, three saloons, four hotels, two barbers, five doctors, and sixteen lawyers.
TOWN OF JOHNSTOWN.
In 1850, the entire town of Johnstown contained a population of 6,121, and in 1855 it had increased to 7,912.
In 1856, Fulton County contained 3,717 horses, 7 asses and mules, 7.416 milk cows, 1,420 working oxen, 13,484 sheep, 8,239 swine, and 30 churches. Of the adult persons, 1,023 could neither read nor write.
The father of the Burton families was Nathan Burton, of Charlestown, Montgomery County. He was born May 1, 1764, and married Eleanor Conover, August 24, 1776.
ELIAS C. BURTON.
Was born at Charlestown, N.Y., May 21, 1809. He married Catherine J. Conover, January 18, 1832, who was born May 12, 1811. His children were Seth C., Nathan J., Ann E., Jacob W., Jane J. and Elias E. Mr. Burton, although more than 90 years of age, is still possessed of a fair amount of health and vigor. He is a highly respected resident of Gloversville, where he was formerly a well-known merchant for many years. Several years ago, he officiated as one of the assessors of the town of Johnstown. One of his daughters is Mrs. Edward Wells, of State Street, Johnstown. His son Jacob W., who died many years ago, was born July 30, 1838, and married Miss Hattie Smith, December 1858. She is a daughter of the late Lucius J. Smith who was once a prominent Johnstown merchant. She is now Mrs. Henry Peterson of that city.
ELISHA L. BURTON.
Was born in Charlestown, N.Y., September 29, 1816. He married Ester Leonard, June 23, 1840, who was born June 7, 1819. His children were Willard ___., born in Kingsboro and Louisa ___., and Leonard M., born in Gloversville. Elisha L. Burton has been dead many years. His widow died last July in Gloversville, aged 90 years. She was one of he original members of the Congregational Church in that city.
SETH C. BURTON.
Son of Elias C., was born October 20, 1832. He married Miss Hattie Judson. Mr. Burton is a very courteous gentleman and well known citizen.
NATHAN C. BURTON.
Son of Elias C., was born July 4, 1834. He married Annie Leonard, June 15, 1854.
Came from Breslau, Prussia, about half a century ago. He married Mary Sphorburgh of Albany. He was an interesting conversationalist and also an energetic and self-made man. For some time after arriving in this locality be carried a pack and peddled on foot. The exciting anecdotes which he fluently related while tarrying at the writer's home are not so easily forgotten. At his death he left a fortune, barely second to any in the county of Fulton. His son Lucius ____. Littauer, is now representing this district in Congress.
Was born November 1, 182__ ----(blurred print)---- He married Frances ___. Smith, April 18, 1850, who was born January 1828. Two of his children were William and Caroline. Seymour Sexton was a prominent merchant of Gloversville for a great many years. He has been a Republican from birth of the party, and for many years was one of the leading politicians in the county of Fulton.
Each evening during the great rebellion, upon the arrival of the old stage coach, Mr. Sexton would seize and Albany Journal, and mounting his counter, or a dry goods box, would read to the anxious multitude the latest news from the war, and conclude with the announcement, "That's all, gentlemen." He possessed a good voice, and was also a fluent reader.
JAMES K. SEXTON.
Was engaged in the mercantile business with his brother Seymour Sexton, at Gloversville, for many years.
Was once a well known grocer in Gloversville, his place of business being located on the west side of Main Street, between Church and Fulton Streets. He was a Democrat, and was the Gloversville postmaster under Presidents Pierce and Buchanan. Two of his sons were Elisha and William.
Was connected with Henry Churchill, in business at Gloversville, for many years, their store being located on the east side of Main Street, south of Fulton. He was a son of the late Judge John L. Hutchinson of the town of Ephratah. He married Emily Smith, daughter of the late Lucius J. Smith, who was a prominent Johnstown merchant for many years. Charles Hutchinson was a courteous and obliging gentleman, who later removed to Chicago, where he died in September 1893. His widow is still living in that populous city. She was born February 25, 1833. They were united in marriage September 8, 1852, by Rev. ___. Slack. Their children were Arthur, William and Carrie.
Isaac ___. Fox was born August 15, 1794. He married Susan Mosher, November 20, 1816, who was born January 4, 1798. His children were Mary, Darrance, ___esson ___., Mary C., Julia A., Charles J., Lewis R., Gertrude M., ___ Clariece A., Isaac ___., Edward P., Helen A.
CHARLES J. FOX.
Was a well known business man of Gloversville for many years.
EDWARD P. FOX.
Is a fine musician, who played the organ at the Presbyterian Church in Johnstown for many years.
LEWIS R. FOX.
Son of Isaac G., was born June 28, 1829. He married Miss C. N. Veeder, November 18, 1855, who was born November 21, 1828. His children were Minnie and Helen. About thirty-five years ago Lewis R. Fox was one of the most extensive glove manufacturers in the county of Fulton. His factory was located on the southwest corner of Church and Bleecker Streets, where he gave employment to a goodly number of people. He was a pleasant and accommodating gentleman to his friends and neighbors. Although suffering from infirmities he is still a resident of Gloversville.
MARCUS T. PEAKE, M.D.
Was born in Delhi, Delaware County, January 25, 1805. He married Sophia L. Bassett in 1840, who was born February 21, 1817. His children were William C., Weston W., Alice S., Florence A., Marcus T., and Asa B. One or more of the sons was a soldier in the late Civil War. Dr. Peake, who was a very kind and highly educated gentleman, was at one time the family physician of the writer. He passed from earth many years ago.
WILLLIAM C. PEAKE, M.D.
Was born at Delhi, Delaware County, in 1797. He married Ann D. Merwin, November 6, 1828. His children were Ebenezer S., Susan [E]., Asher M., Esther A., Sarah J., Frederick W., Jane O., Charles H., Dennis P. and Alva G. He was educated at the Delhi Academy, and located at Kingsboro in January 1834, where he resided for twenty years. He was a Man of acute sensibilities. He was an Episcopalian, and removed to Johnstown in 1854, where he died September 1856. One of his daughters resides at Johnstown. His remains are buried in the Johnstown cemetery. The following lines express the feeling with which his memory was cherished. They are the first, and the two last verses of a lengthy poem, which was written by a friend, while standing beside his grave:
"Beside his recent grave I stood,
While twilight's shadows deftly crept,
Above sad moaned the waving wood,
Around the murmuring waters wept.
The recent twilight's changed to gloom,
So fade the years of life's decline,
And flowers that grow around thy tomb
May, ere they wither, garland mine.
Farewell! I mourn earth's severed ties,
As one by one they're burst in twain,
But through a vista in the skies
Faith sees them all unite again."
HARRY C. JONES.
Who came from Saratoga County in 1836, was born November 26, 1812. He married Mary Stewart, January 14, 1835, who was born March 15, 1815. His children were Oscar, Charles C., Marion M., Eleonara and Anna. He was a Whig justice and also kept a shoe shop.
F. B. KNOWLES.
Who came from Massachusetts, was born in 1824. He married Ann Eliza Pool, December 23, 1846, who was born October 27, 1824. His wife was a daughter of the late David Pool, and a sister of John Pool, who is now a well known resident of Gloversville. Mr. Knowles' children were Eliza and Frank.
Who came from Germany, has been a well known business man of Gloversville for some forty years. He was born December 26, 1816. He married Rachel Wickens, of the Isle of Wight, who was born in 1818. He recently presented a fine park to the city of Gloversville. His children were Albert, Ferdinand W., and George D. B.
THE INGRAHAM FAMILY.
Came from Saybrook, Connecticut, and settled in Mayfield.
Married Philinda Taylor of Vermont. His children were Eliza, Emeline, Fernando C., William S., Levi T. and Granville S.
WILLIAM S. INGRAHAM.
Was born December 22, 1815. He married Sila Gilbert, November 22, 1839, who was born February 4, 1818. His children were Mary E., Charles G., Sidney C. He was a Democrat and a Justice of the Peace.
Many of the Browns in Gloversville are lineal descendants of Peter Brown, one of the original pilgrims who came from England in the Mayflower.
Was born January 1, 1750, and died October 31, 1834. He married Abigail Parker, who was born in 1753, and died January 1809.
BENJAMIN BROWN, JR.
Was born October 6, 1776, and died in 1840. He married Theda Curtis, who was born November 27, 1782, and died in 1850. Their children were William, Mary, Miles, David N., Oran, [ ]oxa A., Lucy E., Fanny L. and William 2nd.
Who was born January 4, 1807, married Emily Cozzens, June 15, 1841, who was born March 25, 1818. His children were Hannah W. and Frances ___..
On to pages 21-37
Retrun to Fulton County GenWeb
New York GenWeb
Copyright ©2000 Peggy Menear
Copyright ©2000 Jeanette Shiel
All Rights Reserved.
Last updated Tuesday, 13-May-2008 13:14:41 PDT