HISTORY OF GLOVERSVILLE.
The Gloversville Daily Leader,
of the Date of
Saturday, October 28, 1899.
The Gloversville Daily Leader,
Return to pages 21 - 36
Return to Index
NOTE: The Index corresponds with the blue numbers in the left hand corner as you scroll down the page.
Son of Philander, was born at Kingsboro, August 10, 1818. He married Charlotte M. Smith, April 25, 1853, who was born December 25, 1837. He was well known resident of Gloversville in the sixties. He erected a fine residence on West Fulton Street. His children were Willard and Jermain. He was a Presbyterian minister.
WILLARD J. HEACOCK.
Son of Philander, was born at Kingsboro, April 5, 1821. He married Miverva M. Avery, July 11, 1845, who was born June 27, 1824, and died several years ago. Their children were Marion L., Annette and Lillian. Willard J. Heacock was trained from his infancy by pious and devoted parents. He also enjoyed the benefits of the varied forms of religious instruction instituted by the late Dr. Yale of Kingsboro. He was first a merchant and later a glove manufacturer. In early life he gave one hundred dollars per year for religious objects and later contributed many times that sum annually. He was public spirited, and ranks first in developing Gloversville. He was the prime mover in originating the Fonda, Johnstown and Gloversville railroad, and was president of the company for many years. His life-sized portrait adorned one of the early locomotives, which was called the Willard J. Heacock. His stirring speeches in the Fulton County Court House in the exciting days of the Great Rebellion, are still vivid in the memory of this writer. He was the controlling spirit in organizing the Presbyterian denomination in Gloversville, and erecting the brick church on the corner of Bleecker and West Fulton Streets. He was once a staunch Republican, but later was somewhat inclined toward the Prohibition party. He was endowed with a friendly disposition, and was affable and quiet in his manners. He was an Assemblyman from the Fulton-Hamilton district in 1863 and 1873. He erected brick blocks in Gloversville, and also a fine brick residence on Bleecker Street where he now resides.
Son of Philander, was born at Kingsboro, April 2, 1829. He married Jerusha Case, January 20, 1853, who was born in 1833. He lived several years in Virginia. His children were Charlotte C. and Jesse L.
EDWIN H. HEACOCK.
Son of Philander, was born at Kingsboro, March 14, 1831. He married Sarah McGrew of California. Their children were William G., Horace S. and Willard J.
Was the name of an old and respected family of Kingsboro.
FREDERICK STEELE, JR.
Son of Frederick and Ruth Steele, was born January 27, 1790. He married Susan D. Green, who was born October 5, 1789. He died April 30, 1846. His children were James, Debra, Joseph, Susan, Margaret and William F.
Son of Frederick and Susan Steele, was born December 14, 1824. He married Margaret T. Wood, July 26, 1849, who was born January 1, 1826. Their children were Charlotte W., Frederick and James G.
Was born April 15, 1819. He married Julia A. Fox, October 28, 1840, who was born November 10, 1824. Their children were Louisa J. and Albert N. For many years Aaron Simmons has been a well known citizen residing on South Main Street, Gloversville, and also a deacon of the Baptist Church.
Son of William C., was born August 13, 1800. He married Lucinda H. Burr, April 24, 1823. For many years "Uncle Charley", as he was familiarly called, resided in a white dwelling on West Fulton Street, Gloversville, near where the railroad depot is now located. He inherited a good estate, which was increased by prudent management, sided by the enhanced value of property consequent upon the growth of Gloversville. Given to systematic benevolence, he was elected by the American Board of Foreign Missions to be a corporate member of that body. Frankness and candor were among his social qualities. He was quite a fisherman and loved a diet of frogs. His children were Lucinda B., William C., Mary J., Harriet N., Celia A., Charles J., Philo M., Charlotte A., Delia P. and Albert B.
WILLIAM C. MILLS.
Son of Charles, was born April 6, 1826. He married Margaret Steele, January 28, 1851, who was born May 22, 1828. He once resided on West Fulton Street, Gloversville, and died several years ago. He was the father of several children, one of whom is now the district attorney of County of Fulton.
WILLIAM C. MILLS.
Son of William C. Mills, is well and favorably known by the voters of Fulton County. He is a staunch Republican, and is now serving his second term as district attorney. He has a strong voice, uses fine language, and has a peculiar faculty of convincing a jury.
SAMUEL S. MILLS.
Son of William T., was born April 15, 1813. He married Delia A. Potter, who was born in 1817, and died March 4, 1848. He then married Cynthia Thomas, March 11, 1850, who was born July 21, 1818 (? blurred). His children were William T., Darius C., Elliot T. and Samuel S.
JOHN C. HOLMES.
Son of William Holmes, was born March 29, 1810. He married Jane Carlin, December 3, 1837, who was born July 4, 1820. He removed from Lake Pleasant to Gloversville, where he was one of the early proprietors of the Mills House, and there gave a reception and ball for the New York State Legislature. He was the Democratic assemblyman from this district in 1858. His adopted daughter, Alinda Jane, married John Spier.
WILLIAM R. DAVIDSON.
Who came from Albany, was born in Galway, Saratoga County, October 29, 1833.
SIMON M. SILL.
Conducted the first store in Gloversville, in 1828, in a small building north of Main Street bridge, and nearly opposite the former residence of James Burr. In 1829, Henry Churchill commenced the mercantile business which he continued for many years. He became a prominent citizen, and his biography will be given later.
GLOVERSVILLE IN 1859.
Contained two fancy stores, four dry goods stores, three clothing stores, three groceries, three flour stores, two stove and tinware shops, one drug store, one jewelry store, two lawyers' and three physicians' offices.
GLOVERSVILLE IN 1870.
Contained five churches, one bank, three newspaper printing offices, a union school, and about five thousand inhabitants. Two hundred dozen pairs of gloves and mittens were manufactured during the year, amounting in value to about two and one-half millions of dollars.
Was born February 20, 1791. He married Phebe Ward, April 1, 1826, who was born February 20, 1792. Their children were William, Mary F., Phebe J. and James C.
JAMES C. WRIGLEY.
Was a well known glove manufacturer in Gloversville about thirty-five years ago. His shop was located on Spring Street, near Main. He was a terrible sufferer prior to his death, which occurred many years ago.
ELEAZER G. WARNER.
Who came from Connecticut, was born September 8, 1803. He married Amelia A. Parsons, September 25, 1827, who was born September 26, 1805. Their children were John P., Eleazer G. and Salina, the last-named being an adopted daughter.
HARMON S. SMITH.
Was born October 29, 1814. He married Angeline C. Burr, April 29, 1839. Their children were Lucien B. and James W. He next married Mary Ann Churchill, February 19, 1849, who was born September 8, 1812.
THE SUNDERLIN FAMILIES.
Were well known in Gloversville more than forty years ago. Their residences were located on South Main Street.
Was born October 6, 1806. He married Maria Marselis, September 3, 1833. The glove firm of C. & J. Sunderlin was well known.
Was born February 14, 1818. He married Harriet C. Rider, August 23, 1855, who was born December 30, 1819. He was a Republican in politics and represented this district in the state Assembly in 1874.
SAMUEL S. WELLS.
Son of Styles Wells, was born March 1, 1794. He married Susan Ward, October 15, 1810. Their children were Almira, Sarah M., John W., Adelia E., Samantha, Rufus S., Susan E., Samuel W., Samantha A. and Salina C.
SAMUEL W. WELLS.
Usually called "Ward" Wells, was a well known resident of Gloversville about thirty five years ago. He married Miss Blodgett of Schoharie County. He was of a social disposition and manufactured gloves in company with S. S. Plummer. His son became well known in the Sandwich Islands.
HIRAM T. COLE.
Was born September 9, 1831. He married Mary F. Wrigley in 1855, who was born August 8, 1830. He died many years ago.
EDWIN W. COLE.
Who was a native of England, was born December 13, 1817. He married Emma Windoes, January 6, 1842, who was born January 29, 1818. Their children were Mary, James N., Sophia L., Sarah, William, Clarence E., Carrie E. and Alice A.
THE CLANCY FAMILY.
Was once well known in the locality of Kingsboro.
Who came from Ireland, was born in 1760. He resided in Kingsboro, where he died at an advanced ago, about forty years ago. His children were John, David, George W., Betsey, Sally and Lydia.
GEORGE W. CLANCY.
Son of William, was born at Kingsboro, February 27, 1798. He married Caroline Burr, April 1, 1824, who was born November 14, 1804. Their children were Frances S. J., James ?, B., Elizabeth J. He died November 17, 1839.
A descendant of William, was a well-known businessman in Gloversville many years ago. Clancy and Eggleston kept a meat market on Bleecker Street. Mr. Clancy was an upright and kind-hearted gentleman. Later he moved to Genesee County. He has been dead several years. He was a son of David Clancy.
THE BELDEN FAMILIES.
Of Gloversville came from New England stock. Several members of those families were glove manufacturers.
CHARLES BELDEN SR.
Emigrated from Connecticut at the commencement of the eighteenth century. He was born in 1761. He married Anna Case, in 1789, who was born April 9, 1771. He died in 1844, and his wife died in 1838. Their children were Charles, Timothy, Allen, Ann, Jonathan, Erastus, Joseph, Sarah, Henry, Reuben C., Norman, Ann, Melancthon and Ruth.
Son of Charles Belden, Sr., was born January 26, 1810. He married Mary A. Sheldon, March 29, 1839, who was born November 3, 1816. Their children were Milton R., James E., Emma A. and Mary A. Norman Belden was a good citizen but slightly eccentric.
Son of Charles Belden, Sr., was born April 2, 1800. He married Harriet Soule, April 19, 1829, who was born September 3, 1809. He was a well-known manufacturer in Gloversville, more than forty years ago. His children were Rachel Ann, Emily M., Mariette, Mary J., Hiram W., Harriet E. and Florence E.
MELANCTHON C. BELDON.
Son of Charles Belden, was born November 22, 1814. He was also a well known glove manufacturer. He was married to Lucia Bidwell, January 29, 1849, who was born October 28, 1820. Their children were Dwight B., Frank, Lucia R. and Lillian T., twins.
A tailor, was born January 28, 1806. He married Willham Brown, in 1827. Their child was George B. He next married Amelia Mills. Their children were Hiram, Martha, Amanda, Edwin, Mary, W(or M)ellthan, John and James.
Was born April 7, 1776. He married Jemima, in 1800, who was born in 1781. Their children were James, Thomas, Mercy, Mary and Ezekiel.
Was a well-known resident of Gloversville more than thirty years ago. He then ran an express wagon between Gloversville and Fonda. He was a very careful and reliable citizen.
JOHN R. DIXON.
Was born in Mayfield, December 15, 1828. He married Elizabeth Bane, July 8, 1852, who was born February 16, 1830. Their child was Edwin Van Allen.
JOHN S. GREEN.
Who came from Broadalbin, was born March 22, 1805. He married Semina Kasson, February 23, 1830, who was born February 1, 1809. Their child was Densa Ann.
Who resided in the locality of Bennett's Corners, has been dead a great many years. He was endowed with a humorous disposition and great agility. More than fifty years ago he frequently amused the boys by dancing jogs on the sidewalks in Johnstown. He used to snap his fingers and sing "Tweezy izy," "Tweezy ozy."
Was born at Warwick, R. I., July 5, 1795. He married Hannah Hartshorn, August 1, 1819, who was born May 18, 1797. He was well informed and a well known resident of Gloversville, some forty years ago. He claimed to have been a soldier in the War of 1812. He was a small sized man and wore a plug hat marked "1812." His children were Mary, Albert W. and Charles H.
CHARLES H. GORTON.
Son of Othneil, kept a jewelry store in Gloversville for many years. I believe his place of business was on South Main Street.
ALBERT W. GORTON.
Son of Othneil, resides at Gloversville, where he is a well-known correspondent for out of town newspapers.
THE GILLET FAMILY.
Came from New England stock.
Who came from Connecticut, was one of the earliest settlers in Kingsboro. He married Ruth Case. His children were Rachel, Stephen, Aurilla, Abigail, Lemuel, Ruldah, Ruth and Chester.
Son of Stephen, married Mary Mattews. His old farm, on which he once resided, is now partially covered by dwellings in Gloversville. His little wood-colored dwelling on the old homestead was located a short distance north from the creek, and not far from the corner of what is now Bleecker Street, and a street running westerly. Later the premises passed to the hands of the late WILLIAM WELCH, commonly called "Uncle Bill" Welch of Gloversville, and still later became the property of Daniel Rays. The children of Lemuel Gillet were Stephen, Huldah, Ruth and Emily.
Son of Stephen, was born at Kingsboro, July 9, 1798. He married Sophia Crain, October 18, 1825 who was born at Ware, Massachusetts, January 3, 1803. Their children were Arthur B., Earl S., Halsey A., Edwin C., Abby, William S., George W. C., and Emma S. He was a farmer and resided near Kingsboro.
ARTHUR B. GILLET.
Son of Chester, was born at Kingsboro, May 9, 1827. He married Sarah E. Jewel, February 9, 1854, who was born February 10, 1828. Their child was Edwin C.
Was a well known farmer residing near Gloversville half a century ago. A large portion of what was once his premises is now covered by buildings. His white farm house was located on what is now known as West Street. He married Miss Bentley. His children were John, David and Ann Eliza. The last named became the wife of F. B. Knowles, who was once a Gloversville merchant.
Son of David, is an aged and highly respected resident of Gloversville. He married Eliza Getman, daughter of the late Col. Getman of Ephratah. In politics he is a Democrat.
Son of David, was once a well-known resident of Gloversville. Later he removed to Syracuse.
HENRY C. OHLEN.
Son of S. V. R. Ohlen and Nancy R. Clark, his wife, was born May 15, 1836.
Was born in Canada, October 29, 1807. He emigrated to this country when eleven years of age. He married Ann Smith, who was born about 1811. The aged couple, who now reside in Gloversville, were married in Bennett's Corners, January 5, about sixty-five or sixty-six years ago by Rev. Elisha Yale of Kingsboro. Silas Shutts spent the greater part of his life on his farm, a short distance northerly from Bennett's Corners. He was a prominent Methodist and was often leader in religious meetings. He was once Republican exciseman in the town of Johnstown. Of his twelve children, nine are still living. The name of those living are as follows: Ophelia, residing in Canada; Emily Jane who married James Holcomb; Elizabeth, widow of Rev. Wright; Harlan P., Willard, William, Edward, Minerva, wife of James Rice of Gloversville; and Ells, wife of Charles Powell. Dewitt and Howard died in 1862. Cordelia A., who was the wife of Dr. John Burdick of Johnstown, died in 1890. She was a devoted Christian and her remains are buried in the Prospect Hill Cemetery at Gloversville, where a fine granite monument marks her last resting-place.
THE BROWNELL FAMILY.
Who were once well-known residents of the town of Johnstown, have all passed away with a single exception.
Was a prominent farmer residing northerly from Bennett's Corners. He was also quite a sportsman and often chased Master Reynard over the hills in that locality. He was a native in that township. He married Miss Rose, who was a sister of the late Willard and Charles Rose, of Bennett's Corners. The daughters of Mr. and Mrs. James Brownell were named as follows: Betsey, Mary and Nancy who died of consumption. Sally married L. M. Hough, who was a merchant at Bennett's Corners. Later she moved to New England, where she died several years ago. Her remains were buried in the Prospect Hill Cemetery.
Son of James, kept the toll gate between Johnstown and Fonda for many years. His death was caused by a cold he contracted by chasing a party that ran the gate.
Son of James, disappeared from this locality many years ago. Later he was found in California, where he died.
Son of James, was a well known resident in the locality of Bennett's Corners. He played the violin and also hunted foxes for a pastime. He was second lieutenant in Company A, 153rd regiment of New York, Volunteers, in the late Civil War. After the close of the war he spent several years in the oil regions of Pennsylvania. He was formerly a Republican, but while in the oil regions became a prominent greenbacker. He is a very large man, well informed, and is now farming in Kansas.
Who was a native of the town of Johnstown, was a prominent farmer and manufacturer at Bennett's Corners for many years. He was an ingenious mechanic and constructed a saw mill, also a skin mill at Bennett's Corners. He was the owner of an extensive farm, a large hotel, a store building, mills and tenant houses. He owned property on the northwest corner of Main and Market Streets, Johnstown, and also on the northwest corner of Main and Fulton Streets, Gloversville. "Deacon" Rose, as he was usually called, and his wife, who was often called "Aunt Nancy" had no children. Their remains are buried in Gloversville. Several years prior to her death Mrs. Rose became totally blind. Her sight was restored by an operation performed by Dr. Gleason. The large property once possessed by Willard Rose passed to the hands of his nephew, Charles W. Rose of Gloversville.
Was a native of the town of Johnstown. He was a well known and extensive farmer residing at Bennett's Corners. He married Miss Carmichael, who was also born in Johnstown. Their remains are buried in the Prospect Hill Cemetery, Gloversville. Their sons were John, Charles, Willard and Scott. Their daughters were Mary E. of Gloversville; Helen, who married George Wooster, and died in Gloversville in 1865; and Jane Ann, who resides in California.
Son of Charles, removed to Wisconsin many years ago.
CHARLES W. ROSE.
Son of Charles, has been a well-known glove manufacturer in Gloversville, for many years. He married Miss Benedict of West Perth.
Was born in the town of Johnstown. He married Miss Mason, who was also born in the same township and died at Lassellville eighteen years ago. The remains of both he and his wife are buried at Gloversville. Their daughters were Mary, who died west; Jane Ann, who died at Lassellville; Emily who married W. Dempster and resides in Chicago; and Louisa who married John C. Hutchinson, and died at Johnstown. Mr. Hutchinson resides in California. The sons of Mr. and Mrs. Ezekiel Dempster (?, above shows Brownell) were, William, who died west; Ezekiel, who resides in Lassellsville; Charles residing in Johnstown; and Harvey who was a soldier in the late Civil War and died in Washington. He belonged to Company A., 153rd Regiment, New York Volunteers.
THE M'EWEN FAMILY.
Was of Scotch descent. Three of the brothers were named John, Peter and Daniel.
Owned a large farm three miles northwest from Johnstown, well towards half a century ago. After selling his farm he had a large auction which was attended by the writer. The farm now contains the reservoir of the Johnstown Water Works. "Deacon" McEwen, as he was often called, has long since passed away. His remains are reposing in the Johnstown Cemetery.
And his wife, "Aunt" Nellie, were well known people residing on their farm one mile west from Bennett's Corners. When nearly ninety years of age he would sometimes walk to church at Johnstown. One evening when working in his saw mill near his residence, a wolf entered the building. "Uncle" Peter, as he usually was called, was indeed an upright, jolly Scotchman. His children were John, Peter, Archibald and Jane who resides in western New York. The old farm has since passed into the hands of Eugene W. Peck of Gloversville. Mrs. McEwen was a sister to the late John McNab, Sen., of Gloversville.
Son of Peter, was a well known citizen, residing on the farm formerly possessed by his father. For many years he was an elder of the Presbyterian Church in Johnstown. He was a bachelor and removed to western New York, where he died several years ago. His remains are buried beside his parents in the Johnstown Cemetery.
Brother of John and Peter once resided at Bennett's Corners, where he was owner of a small farm and grist mill. He was a lively and good natured gentleman and married a Miss Walker. Three of his children were names John, Daniel and Isabella.
Son of Daniel, is a well known resident of Gloversville. His flour and feed works are located near the railroad depot in this city. He married Hannah Heagle, daughter of Adam Heagle of Johnstown. Mr. McEwen is well- preserved, although some eighty years of age.
Was a well known citizen of Gloversville, some thirty-five years ago. He resided on Bleecker Street. He married Miss Corey of Cranberry Creek. He came to Gloversville from northern New York. He was a good-natured, heavy man and wore a mammoth shoe. He sometimes delighted in playing harmless jokes on his most intimate friends. His principal business was selling mittens and gloves about the country. While on one of his excursions to Gouverneur, he accidentally fell downstairs and was killed.
On to pages 51 - 70
Return to Fulton County GenWeb
New York GenWeb
Copyright ©2000 Peggy Menear
Copyright ©2000 Jeanette Shiel
All Rights Reserved.
Last updated Tuesday, 13-May-2008 13:14:40 PDT