HISTORY OF GLOVERSVILLE.
Return to pages
51 - 70 Return to Index NOTE: The Index corresponds with
the blue numbers in the left hand corner as you scroll down the page.
Return to pages 51 - 70
Return to Index
NOTE: The Index corresponds with the blue numbers in the left hand corner as you scroll down the page.
Son of Oliver, married Miss Woodworth. They were the parents of several children.
Is the name of an old and respectable family connection.
Was born in Westchester County in 1747. He married Jane Ferris, who was born in 1750.
Son of Uriah, was born July 9, 1773. He married Hannah Monroe, March 20, 1800, who was born March 1, 1781. Their children were Berintha, Esther, Jane, John S., Chloe, Uriah M., Valentine C., Isaac M., Hannah M., Nancy C., Joseph L., Mary E., Phebe S., Darius L., Emily and Sarah.
URIAH M. PLACE.
Son of John, was born in the village of Johnstown, September 6, 1807. His parents were pious, and trained him in his infancy to regard the Sabbath and to be strictly moral in word and action. Starting in early life with little other capital than a fair character and a knowledge of business, he gradually became a man of wealth and position and influence. He was trained in the school of Rev. Dr. Yale, and was a liberal bestower of his means in aid of the various interests of religion and education. For many years, he was an influential member of the church of Kingsboro. He married Sarah Briggs, February 28, 1832, who was born July 18, 1807. "Uncle Morris' as he was often called, was a glove manufacturer, and a first class citizen. He had a fine residence on West Fulton Street, Gloversville. His adopted son was John W.
JOHN W. PLACE.
Adopted son of Uriah M., was born September 27, 1836. He married Annette Hulbert, December 9, 1858, who was born April 20, 1838.
ISAAC V. PLACE.
Was born December 3, 1817. He married Mahala S. Rowland, March 4, 1842, who died October 17, 1848. He next married Phebe R. Voorhees, February 4, 1850, who was born December 25, 1817. Their adopted children were Lucius A. and Lucy. He was a man of great perseverance and determination, and was prominent manufacturer in Gloversville for many years. He suffered a fortune in losses, but left quite a property at his death. He formerly resided in East Fulton Street, but later erected a fine residence on High Street. He often accommodated the writer in business transactions, in the sixties.
WILLIAM H. PLACE.
Married Sarah J. Bailey, April 1857. He became a prominent businessman and now resides on North Main Street, Gloversville. For many years he has been the heaviest taxpayer on real estate in the county of Fulton. "Billy" Place, as he is commonly called, is an upright citizen and too well known to require description.
JOHN K. DYE.
Was born March 23, 1805. He married Eliplol Syoms, December 28, 1825, who was born September 13, 1802. Their children were Lorana and Roby. He next married Mary A. Nicloy, September 1, 1831. Their children were Polly A., John K., Margaret M., Andrew, Daniel O., Martha J. and David B.
JOHN K DYE, JR.
Was born February 22, 1834. He married Phebe M. Whiting, January 20, 1855, who was born February 16, 1837. He is a veteran of the late Civil War and participated in many severe engagements. He fought in the Battles of Pleasant Hill, Cane River, Markville Plains, Winchester and Cedar Creek. He was commanded by General Banks in the Red River campaign. Mr. Dye became a resident of Gloversville when but five years of age, where for 32 years he has been well-known contractor and builder. His children were Walter F. and Alfred K. The last-named son now represents the fifth ward of Gloversville in the Fulton County Board of Supervisors.
The Millers originated in Scotland. The ancestor of the present families settled in Connecticut.
JAMES W. MILLER, M.D.
Was born in Connecticut, November 10, 1785, and died at Johnstown August 9, 1854. He married Sarah Rust, January 15, 1815, who was born June 24, 1791. The late Francis Burdick, M.D., was one of Dr. Miller's students at Johnstown. Dr. Miller's remains are buried in the Johnstown Cemetery. His sons are James, Ameziah, Timothy W. and William. Dr. Miller left a large property.
Son of James W., left several descendants at his death. He married Miss Walker. He resided in North Carolina about the time, or just prior to the Civil War. He was the engineer and surveyor who located the Fonda, Johnstown and Gloversville Railroad. Among his sons might be mentioned, James, Frank, Walker and Donald. The first named son is city engineer of Johnstown and the second-named son keeps an extensive hardware store in that city.
TIMOTHY W. MILLER.
Son of James W., was born at Johnstown, September 27, 1823. He married Gertrude Johnson, December 18, 1843, who was born October 24, 1825. He was colonel of the 26th Regiment of State Militia, about forty years ago. He once resided in Gloversville, where he was vice-president of the Fulton County Bank. He was a jolly, freehearted gentleman, and died many years ago. His children were Mary, Annie, Marcellus G., James W., Fannie and Timothy.
JOHN M'NAB, JR.
Has assisted greatly in the development of Gloversville, where he has caused to be erected many large mills and fine dwellings. He has long been known for his industry, economy, and perseverance, and as having no advisers. For many years he has been a ruling elder in the Presbyterian Church of Johnstown, to the support of which he is a large contributor. In early live, possessing limited means of his own, he was authorized, in case of emergency to use his father's name and credit; yet he never availed himself of the permission, so as by possibility to subject them to risk or hazard; and he was careful never to venture so far as, in case of failure, to disappoint the claims of his creditors. It is said that many years ago he was indebted twenty or thirty thousand dollars to the Fulton County Bank. The authorities of the bank were slightly uneasy and believed that Mr. McNab had better make a statement of his assets. After the gentleman had appeared and accounted for certain real estate, he quietly pulled from his coat pocket a check of more value than the entire capital stock of the bank. He had recently received the check for a one-fourth interest in a valuable silver mine. It is almost needless to remark that the officials felt sorely chagrined to realize that they had called for such silly information. Later Mr. McNab became president of the bank. He doubtless possesses the largest fortune that has ever been accumulated by an individual's exertions in Fulton County.
He married Eliza Clark, daughter of R. P. Clark, who was once a Justice of the Peace of the village of Johnstown. Mr. McNab has been the father of one son and two daughters, one of the daughters being the only child living. She is the wife of Counselor Burton of Gloversville.
The descendants of the Sutliff Family have become extremely numerous in Gloversville, Johnstown and the surrounding locality. They all descended from the same ancestors. The names of the six ancestors who were brothers, all commenced with the letter "S" with the single exception. Samuel, Solomon, Seth, Stephen, Sylvanus and Edward were known by the writer.
Was a farmer residing about one and one-half miles west from Gloversville. His sons were Samuel, James Stephen, Wesson and John. the above named five sons should not be confounded with their ancestors.
One of the ancestors, was born July 22, 1813. He married Theba Smith, April 22, 1838, who was born November 25, 1813. He was a well-known grocer in Gloversville in the sixties. He resided on Cayadutta Street and his store was located on Main Street. His adopted son was Stephen O.
DANIEL E. SUTLIFF.
Son of Seth, was Sheriff of the county of Fulton several years ago. His first wife was Miss Lake. He has descendants.
Taught the Gloversville school in 1828. The brick school building was then located on the northwest corner of Main and Fulton Streets in that village.
Son of Jacon Graff, of Gloversville, married Caroline Smith, daughter of the late Lucius J. Smith of Johnstown. The ceremony was pronounced by Rev. L.P. Clover, in 1853. She was born August 31, 1835, and died about fifteen years ago in Brooklyn. Barney also died about eleven months later in the same city.
Was born August 1_, 18__. He married Eliza, who was born April 6, ___. Their children were Helen A., Samuel, Anna, ___. W., John, William, ______?, and David. David Spaulding was perhaps at one time the most extensive manufacturer in the county of Fulton. He caused to be erected a beautiful residence on Bleecker and Elm Streets, Gloversville, which at that time was considered the finest in this locality. The late Alonzo Brookins of Rockwood was the contractor who built the structure. Mr. Spaulding's extensive grounds, extending from street to street, covered the lands now occupied by the First Methodist Church. His glove shops in the rear of his residence were also extensive. His steam mill and (unsure of this word) beam shop were just north of Spring and east of Bleecker Streets. Later the property passed to other hands. The stately dwelling was moved away and now faces Bleecker Street. The steam mill was moved to Spring Street between Bleecker and School Streets, and there converted into a dwelling. Later he became a soldier in the late Civil War, being Captain of Company A., 153rd Regiment, New York Volunteers. He died at Lassellsville many years ago. His remains are buried in Prospect Hill Cemetery, Gloversville, where a fine monument was erected to his memory by his many friends.
GLOVERSVILLE CHURCHES AND RELIGIOUS ORGANIZATIONS.
The Baptists organized a society in 1838, and in 1839 formed themselves into a church proper, with a membership of 16. The same year they erected a church edifice costing $3,200, and settled the (unable to read) ………………………. ___________ continued in the tradition for sixteen years. In the year 1855 the Rev. Isaac Wescott became their minister. In 1856 they erected a new church edifice at a cost of $16,000. It was 54 by 84 feet and was furnished with an organ. In 1859 the number of communicants was 353. In 1870 the membership was 396, and the pastor Rev. Erastus Miner, with an assistant. A few years ago the congregation erected an elegant new church on South Main Street. The present pastor is Rev. A. W. Bourn, D.D.
The organization of the Methodist society was nearly simultaneous with that of the Baptist, namely in 1838, with 69 members. Their house of worship was built during the same and the following year, 1839, when it was dedicated. The cost of the building was $6,500 and that of the parsonage $1500. Rev. T. H. Piersons was the first pastor. In 1859, the number of communicants was 270. In about 1870, the congregation erected their new church edifice at a cost of about $60,000. The structure was 64 by 141 feet and extreme height 153 feet. Rev. George S. Chadburne was then pastor. The pastor in 1859 was Rev. Nathaniel G. Spaulding. Among the early preachers might be mentioned, J.?, Taylor, Stephen Parkes, Dillon Stevens, Thomas Armitage, Cicero Barber, James Quinlan, Merrit Bates, Richard T. Wade and B. Hawley. The present pastor is Rev. Van Valkenburgh.
FIRST CONGREGATIONAL CHURCH.
The First Congregational Church was organized in 1852, with 80 members. They were a colony from the old church at Kingsboro, and at first consisted of that portion of the members of said church who lived in Gloversville and its vicinity. They erected their church edifice in 1851-1852 and dedicated it in 1852. The structure was built of brick, with stone caps and sills. 47 x 88 feet, and conference room 36 x 47 feet. The extreme height was 110 feet. The cost of the building was $10,000. The Rev. Homer N. Dunning was settled in the pastorate in the year 1852 and continued to officiate for several years. The number of communicants in 1859 was 266. In 1870, the pastor was Rev. McGinley. The present pastor is Rev. W. __. Park.
FIRST PRESBYTERIAN CHURCH.
The First Presbyterian Church was organized March 12, 1864. The following summer the cornerstone for their church edifice, corner of Fulton and Bleecker Streets, was laid with imposing ceremonies and amid a multitude of people. The church was built of brick, with stone caps and sills and stained glass windows. It cost $36,000 and will seat 550 persons. The first pastor was Rev. J. A. Priest. In 1870 the membership was 170, and the pastor was Rev. M. L. P. Hill. The present pastor is Rev. J. Gardner.
THE EPISCOPAL CHURCH.
The Episcopal Church was organized October 1, 1856. The number of communicants in 1859 was 25. They then worshipped in Good Templar Hall. Their pastor was Rev. Robert T. Howard. Later they erected a church on Fremont Street, which passed to the hands of the Methodists. They now have a fine brick church on Spring Street. Their present rector is Rev. F. M. Cookson.
FREEMONT STREET METHODIST CHURCH.
In about 1873, there was some dissatisfaction among the members of the First Methodist Church. Hiram Jordan, James Wood, Harvey Kasson, Randolph Day and several other gentlemen proposed to have a church of their own, and accordingly proceeded to purchase the church on Freemont Street, which had been erected by the Episcopalians, and which has since been called the Fremont Street Methodist Church. They paid about $16,000 for the property. The present pastor is Rev. E. H. Brown.
THE KINGSBORO AVENUE PRESBYTERIAN CHURCH.
Is a well-known place of worship. The trustees are L. S. Brown, E. D. Heacock, E. W. Fiske, G. C. Potter, Enos Cole and James Foster. The present pastor is Rev. Johnson.
ST. MARY'S R. C. CHURCH.
On Fremont Street is a fine edifice. The trustees are G. Lynch and Edward Guinane. The present priest is Rev. J. J. Hayden.
THE NORTH MAIN STREET METHODIST CHURCH.
Is a fine structure. The trustees are J. H. Washburn, J. W. Rice, W. Hodder, J. W. Brown, S. H. Morgan, C. Nichols, M. Hegaman, D. Hays, and B. J. Rice. The present pastor is Rev. William H. Groat.
ST. JAMES' LUTHERAN CHURCH.
Is located on Grand Street. The trustees are Alden Hart, Yost Grebe, C. Brockway, M. Hollenbeck, C. Schamberger and James Batty. The present pastor is Rev. John J. Dominic.
ST. FRANCIS DE SALES' R. C. CHURCH.
Is found on West Pine Street. The trustees are Isaac Been and John Lunkenheimer. The present priest is Rev. E. M. Wendl.
THE AFRICAN M. E. ZION CHURCH.
Stands on East Fulton Street. The trustees are L. Simmons, Surrey Herring, E. Bowman, G. Corlies and J. Kniffer. The present pastor is Rev. M. H. Ross.
THE UNIVERSALIST CHURCH.
Services, which are held in Mills Hall, are conducted by Rev. F. W. Betts.
CHRISTIAN CATHOLIC CHURCH OF ZION.
Meets in Music Hall, where they are addressed by Rev. Samuel A. Templeton.
THE CHURCH OF CHRIST.
Worships in Royal Templar Hall. Their pastor is Rev. M. Gunn.
THE FREE METHODIST MISSION.
Located at No. 37, Rural Avenue.
THE SALVATION ARMY.
Have Headquarters on Bleecker and Spring Street.
THE VOLUNTEERS OF AMERICA.
Meet at No. 12, Bleecker Street.
Services are conducted on South Main Street by O. Zukewar.
REV. EDWARD WALL.
Edward Wall was born in the town of Picton, Nova Scotia, November 4, 1824. His earliest religious impressions were received from his mother and from his Sunday school teacher. His parents immigrated to the city of New York in 1832. He was converted at the age of 16. He united with the church under the care of Rev. Doctor Burchard. He prosecuted his studies preparatory to college, at the Cornelius Institute, under the instructions of the Rev. Doctor J. S. Owen. He entered the sophomore class in Princeton College in 1845, and graduated after a curriculum of three years, with a standing for scholarship that may be inferred from his appointment as valedictorian. He graduated at the Princeton Theological Seminary in 1851, with a reputation for ability and attainments equaled by few and surpassed by none. He officiated as home missionary, in the northern part of Cayuga County, for nine months. He was installed as pastor of the Presbyterian Church in Kingsboro, July 3, 1853.
THE DUNNING FAMILY.
Were of English descent. A branch of the family were of the nobility with the title of Ashburton.
Grandfather of Homer N. Dunning, was born in Brookfield, Connecticut. He married Anna Starr.
Father of Homer N. Dunning, was born in 1797. He married Flora Northrup. Their children were Homer N., Michael L., Herman E. and William B.
REV. HOMER N. DUNNING.
Son of Herman, was born at Brookfield, Connecticut, July 17, 1827. He passed most of his childhood and early youth at Peekskill. He made a profession of religion in 1845. He entered Yale College in 1845 and graduated in 1848. He wrote considerable prose and poetry. The following were among his productions; "Winter in Tears," "I'll Bless Her Yet," Pocahontas," etc. He graduated at Union Seminary, New York in 1852. He was ordained and settled the same year over the Congregational Church in Gloversville, where he officiated for many years. He married Sarah Candee (could be Gandee), October 19, 1852. Their children were Clarence S. and Clara C.
REV. NATHANIEL G. SPAULDING.
Was born in Beekmantown, Clinton County, New York, August 24, 1826. though nurtured and trained by pious parents, he was early inclined to skepticism, but the faithful counsels, the prayers and Christian exam of a noble mother, were made at length the instruments of his conversion at the age of 17. This wrought an entire change in his plans of life. He was turned from his purpose of studying law, to that of entering upon a course of education with a view to the ministry. At the request of his parents he remained at home till he attained his majority. On leaving, he gave them $1,000, the fruits of his industry, and after five years' course of study he graduated, having depended for means entirely upon himself, and left college free from debt. In 1852 he entered the ministry of the Methodist Episcopal Church. He was elected the first principal of Fort Plain Seminary, but for obvious reasons he declined. He preached at West Troy, Sand Lake, Fultonville, Greenbush and other towns. He preached in Gloversville in about 1859. He married Harriet D. Dorr in 1855. Their children were Dorr and Warren C.
REV. ISAAC WESCOTT.
Was a lineal descendant of Stukely Wescott, the coadjutor of Roger Williams, the founder of Rhode Island, and the promulgator and champion of that cardinal principle of religious freedom…. toleration of opinion. He was born in Plymouth, Massachusetts, April 10, 1804. He studied theology under the instruction of Rev. Mr. Kimball of Mathuen, and was ordained at Whiting, Vermont, in 1831. For three years previous to his ordination, his ministry was without favorable results. Having imbibed, to some extent, antinomian sentiments, his preaching was powerless to touch the conscience, or to move and sway the affections of the soul. He was led to eschew his errors, and then became a very successful preacher and revivalist. He had a commanding voice and was below the ordinary stature. His physical organization was often likened to that of John Wesley. He was pastor of the Baptist Church in Gloversville, about 35 or 40 years ago. He married Maria Wood, who was born at Swansea, Massachusetts, February 5, 1804. They were united in marriage at Pawtucket, Rhode Island, May 16, 1824. Their children were Joseph H., Isaac, Mary A., Joel W., Louisa C., Anna D., Edwin, Harriet R., Almira N., Volney N., Albert D. and Amanda F.
REV. DAVID CORWIN.
Who came from Pennsylvania, was born November 14, 1796. He married Miss Babcock, January 3, 1826, who was born December 21, 1806. He was the first pastor of the Baptist Church in Gloversville, where he officiated for sixteen years. His children were Alcina, Emily, Richard W. and Cornelia.
RICHARD W. CORWIN.
Son of Rev. David Corwin, was usually called "Tom" and "Warren" Corwin. He was well known in Gloversville nearly half a century ago. He delighted in swimming in Jesse Smith's mill pond in West Bush, for which he was soundly whipped by the indignant old Deacon. The case caused great excitement and came near going to the courts. He was quite a sportsman and loved to catch pigeons. About forty years ago the writer saw him run a foot race with Barney Burns, on the west side of Main Street, from Church Street to Fulton Streets, Gloversville. "Tom" was a very tall man and Barney was small, light-made and active. Barney easily won the race amid the shouts of the multitude. Richard W. Corwin died many years ago.
Became a veteran of the late Civil War. He died a few years since, at Johnstown.
Was a prominent farmer residing a couple of miles northerly from Gloversville. He sometimes held town offices. His sons, who were more than ordinary ability, were Eugene W., Henry G., Talmadge (Talmage), Truman, Elihu, Earl, John S. and Herbert.
EUGENE W. ENOS.
Son of Elihu, was usually called "Doctor" Enos, and once conducted a tannery at Succor Brook. He was Supervisor of the town of Bleecker many years ago. He removed far west where he died.
HENRY G. ENOS.
Son of Elihu, was a well known Justice of the Peace in Gloversville. His daughter married the late Cyrus Stewart.
Son of Elihu, was a constable, residing on East Fulton Street, Gloversville. His daughter was once a school teacher.
JOHN S. ENOS.
Son of Elihu, was District Attorney of the county of Fulton from 1853 until 1859. His predecessor in office was the late James M. Dudley of Johnstown. Mr. Enos removed to California, where he became a State Senator.
Son of Elihu, was an officer in the regular army of the United States.
DAVID O. AUSTIN.
Conducted the grocery business in Gloversville about thirty-five years ago. His partner was Chauncey Hutchinson. Mr. Austin was a Democrat and resided on West Fulton Street.
Son of David, was a prominent citizen of Gloversville. He was a Democrat and was elected school commissioner of the county of Fulton. His predecessor in office was Lucius F. Burr, and his successor in office was John M. Dougall, now a Johnstown glove manufacturer.
Nearly a century ago there was a lively, hustling, and prosperous village called "Sodom" located about one and one-half miles westerly from "Stump City" which is now called Gloversville. Sodom was then the great business and financial center, around which all things in that locality revolved. It contained a school building, a blacksmith shop, grist and saw mills, a store, a mammoth hotel, and a godly number of industrious inhabitants. Farmers brought their grain from afar to be ground in McEwen's grist mill, and lumberman hauled their logs to McEwen's saw mills to there be converted into lumber. Sections of the place had been surveyed into building lots, and numbered, and were changing hands at round figures. Farms, valued in the thousands, were also finding a ready sale. Extensive orchards were planted and improvements proceeded in a lively manner. The large hotel which was located nearly opposite the store, was an imposing building with a broad veranda extending around the entire front. The upper story of the structure was an extensive and popular ball room, where large dances were frequently held. There, on public days, the guests from a large surrounding country were assembled, and there the eight reels and moneymusk were danced with agility and perfection. Within the spacious bar room was usually assembled a multitude of congenial spirits, to there wet their whistles and forget the cares of their rugged and monotonous pathway through life. People came and went and business hummed merrily along. The fine dinners were eaten with a relish and the elegant turkey suppers were devoured with a gusto by the wearied dancers. The proprietor smiled pleasantly with his guests, and sighed for "more worlds to conquer." The bar-tender quickly rattled the shekels in his till and scanned the horizon for more victims, The Mecca for the wine-bibbler, the gourmand, the pleasure seekers, and financiers, in those days, was Sodom. The village was surrounded by men possessing large means and good reputations. Fifty years ago, people who had resided in the locality of Sodom, spoke contemptuously of "frog alley" and "Stump City."
More than half a century ago Elisha Bennet commenced keeping store in Sodom, which caused the village subsequently to be called "Bennet's Corners."
A prominent citizen, resided about one mile west of Sodom, on the farm where his son Peter died, aged nearly a century. The farm is now owned by ? W. Peck. John McEwen's sons were Peter, Daniel, John and James.
Son of John, kept the hotel in Sodom for many years. The hotel was owned by Daniel Meeker; James McEwen's son John went to California.
CAPTAIN WILLIAM HARDIN.
Who later became an extensive real estate owner and capitalist of Johnstown, once kept store at Sodom.
Was well known resident of Sodom. He was a large blind man who used to bottom chairs. Recorder Mason of Johnstown is a distant relative to the late Jerry Mason.
Was a blacksmith at Sodom. He sometimes took something for the stomach's sake, and left descendants. The writer has a butcher knife that was manufactured by Chauncey Adams.
Ancestor of tall the Veghte's in this locality, was born in New Jersey, when General Washington was but seven years of age. He married Catharine Vanderbilt in 1759, at Six-Mile-Run, in New Jersey. She was a cousin to the late Commodore Vanderbilt of New York. John Veghte settled on the Brownell farm now owned by Jason Burdick, about one and one-half miles north of Sodom, prior to the Revolution. Later he purchased the premises one mile west from Johnstown, which is now called the old Veghte farm, where he and his wife both breathed their last. They were both members of Rev. Dr. Hosac's church in Johnstown. He died December 1835, in his 97th year. She died, not quite so aged, in 1823. Their remains are buried in the Green Street Cemetery in Johnstown. Their children were Abram, Nicholas, John, Aaron, Mary and Eleanor.
JOHN VEGHTE, JR.
Resided in Sodom about 75 years ago. He was born in 1762, and died June 1847. He left several descendants. He was a member of Rev. Jr. Yale's church in Kingsboro. His funeral service was preached by Dr. Yale in the school house in Sodom. His remains were buried in the Green Street Cemetery in Johnstown.
Resided about two miles northwest from Sodom. He rode in a two-wheeled chariot drawn by an ox. He guided the animal by the use of a long rope that was attached to the horn of the ox. The driver was equipped with a pole, in the end of which was affixed a sharpened iron, which was used to prick up the animal and hurry him along. On a certain occasion, when returning from Johnstown, the ox ran away, upsetting the chariot and landing the aged driver in the ditch.
Son of Reuben, resided on a farm about three miles northwest from Gloversville. On the farm is a well over one hundred feet in depth, from the bottom of which the stars are quite visible in the clearest noon-day. Nathan Duel was a fine mechanic and inventor. He invented and patented the well-known iron stocks, now used in skin mills, on which his name appears. His two sons are veterans of the late Civil War. His son George is a Justice of the Peace in the town of Johnstown.
Was a well known school teacher residing some three miles northwest from Gloversville. He married Jane Holcomb. He lost his life by the caving down of a sand bank, near his residence, about twenty-five years ago.
Was a little old man residing about three miles northwest of Gloversville. He had two sons, Lovell and William, the last named being quite eccentric. Gardiner Blood also worked his premises with a single ox. One day when farmer Blood was unloading hay from his cart the ox became uneasy when the eccentric son cried out; "Whoa, back, Buck, can't you stand still till your father unloads?"
Was located about one and one-half miles westerly from Sodom. It was a large wooden structure, with a spacious ballroom, and a tall liberty pole and a water trough in front. There the local loungers slaked their thirst and the belated traveler tarried over night. There the dancers shuffled the pigeon-wing, and there the disciples of Nimrod counted their squirrel heads. The defeated party paying for the fine chicken suppers. The hotel became the property of Andrew Grant, and later passed to the hands of Jacob L. Frederick, who was its last proprietor. The building was destroyed by fire about thirty years ago.
About a century ago there resided, nearly one mile south from Sodom, a man named Daniel Meeker. He was owner of hundreds of acres of land and was the foremost citizen in that locality. He planted extensive orchards whose remnants are still visible, and erected mammoth barns which have long since gone to decay. He built a fine residence, which was a marvel of the age, and is still standing. His cider mill was patronized by people from afar, and his commodious corn house is now the principal barn on the almost deserted waste. He bought and sold farms and timbered lands all through that locality, and his possessions extended for miles in all directions. His lands were contiguous from his residence to Sodom, where he owned a store, hotel and many building lots. He sold lands to many people whose names are known no more. His lands were then fertile, producing mammoth crops of corn, rye and clover. The ground in his productive orchards could hardly be stepped upon without treading upon the luscious apples. He employed many workmen, and finally a son (Moses) appeared to gladden the hearts of Daniel Meeker and his wife, Eunice. In fact he was "lord of the manor" and "king of the realm." He was a very quick and active man, and used to cultivate his lands with an iron plow and a pair of mulled oxen. He guided the animals with rope lines which were attached to bits in the mouths of the oxen. He died September 12, 1830, in the 89th year of his age. His remains were buried on a sandy knoll, about forty rods east from his last residence, where marble head and footstones mark their final resting-place. No fence surrounds his grave and the land is cultivated within a few inches of the marble markers. All his extensive possessions have long since passed to the hands of strangers, except the few square feet of sod that appears grudgingly left to cover his remains. For the last half century, it is said, that strange lights have hovered about the grave of Daniel Meeker, at the witches' hour of night, and weird objects have often stalked in that locality. People frequently declare they have seen ghosts and been stopped by witches in "Spookey Hollow," which was once a part of Daniel Meeker's possessions. The official records in county clerk's office at Johnstown prove conclusively that Daniel Meeker was, indeed, a prominent citizen.
Son of Daniel, inherited all his father's possessions. He erected a sawmill on a farm about three miles west from Sodom, that is now owned by Abram Frederick of Johnstown. His property quickly disappeared. He once resided in Gloversville.
Was well known resident of Sodom. He was a soldier in the Revolution. He moved to Johnstown where he conducted a grocery.
Resided about one mile southeast from Sodom. One day in June when he was plowing for Daniel Meeker, a runaway swarm of bees came humming merrily along. The plowboy and his boss drummed on tin pans until they succeeded in lighting the runaways on a tree in Mr. Meeker's orchard. Young Wentworth, with a sheet over his head, then held up the hive, while Daniel Meeker successfully landed the honey-makers therein. Mr. Wentworth, who is now in his 87th year, resided on Green Street, Johnstown.
Ancestor of the Graff families of Gloversville, sometimes wore long stockings, green garters, and green goggles. Many years ago he caught a black nosed wolf in a trap about half a mile west from Sodom. He tied the animal's legs and mouth with his garters and throwing the trap and game over his shoulder, commenced his tramp for Sodom. In crossing a stream the animal kicked and fell from his captor's shoulder, and Mr. Graff was compelled to kill the wolf.
After Elisha Bennett commenced keeping a store in Sodom, the name of the little village gradually became changed to that of Bennett's Corners.
Was the father of a large family of children. Among the number might be mentioned Elisha, Edward, Helen, Mary, Kate and others. One of the daughters married William P. Brayton. William P. Brayton's successor in office as sheriff of Fulton County was Oliver Getman, now residing in Johnstown. Mr. Brayton was sheriff from 1869 to 1871.
HENRY N. WOOD.
Son of the late Jeremiah Wood of Mayfield, kept a store at Bennett's Corners in 1854. He married Catharine E. Jeffers, in July 1853, who was born September 5, 1835, and died March 25, 1854. Mr. Wood's partner in business at Bennett's Corners was John Brown of Mayfield.
L. M. HOUGH.
Conducted a store at Bennett's Corners for many years. He married a daughter of the late James Brownell. Later he moved to New England where he died.
CORNELIUS VAN SICKLER.
Was a well-known blacksmith at Bennett's Corners, and later a grocer. He married Sarah Comrie. He died of dropsy, after a lingering illness. He left an only daughter.
DAVID VAN SICKLER.
Son of Cornelius, expired suddenly on the highway west from Bennett's Corners, while riding for pleasure, a year of two ago. He left several descendants.
MR. AND MRS. WELDON.
Were a very aged couple who resided about one mile northwest from Bennett's Corners, some twenty-five or thirty years ago. They both died the same day, and both were buried in the same grave.
JOHN G. COON.
Resided about one mile northwest from Bennett's Corners about twenty years ago. His wife was Eliza Holcomb. He spent a certain evening with a healthy neighbor names Steele. A few hours later Mr. Coon had returned home he was sent for to lay out the remains of his friend Steele, who had suddenly expired. The same night, after Mr. Coon had performed the desired request, he again returned to his home and went to bed. Before morning Mrs. Coon was terribly surprised to discover that her husband was dead by her side.
MRS. JULIA CLARK.
Later known as Julia Rollins, resided in Scotch Bush, about 70 years ago. She hanged herself to a beech tree with a skein of yarn, in the woods a short distance west from her residence. When her absence was discovered, searching parties were formed and the country was scoured in all directions. Among the searchers was William Allen, ancestor of the extensive Allen families whose biographies have heretofore been written. Discovering the suicide on her knees, he loudly cried out, "There is the ****old**** trying to hide behind that tree." Her body was then taken to the old Scotch Bush schoolhouse, where the Coroner's inquest was held. The tree on which she was hanged stood near Stewart's woods, on a farm that is now owned by David Veghte. Ever after the death of the suicide, sightseers have rambled into that locality and cut their names on the bark of the noted tree. A few years since Mr. Veghte cut the historic tree into firewood. It was then discovered that the limb on which the unfortunate woman hanged herself was also entirely dead. She left a son James.
Resided about 75 years ago, some two miles west from Sodom. He was an unmarried man and used to fiddle at the many dances that were held in those days all through Scotch Bush and the surrounding locality. He was also a fine vocalist. He was a jolly Scotchman and used to sing "Hennie has got the clinkin."
The celebrated hunter and trapper of northern New York, whose remains are reposing in the Prospect Hill Cemetery at Gloversville, resided a couple of miles west from Sodom, in Scotch Bush, about… next page missing.
PAGE 93 IS MISSING......SORRY.
On to pages 94 - 115
Retrun to Fulton County GenWeb
New York GenWeb
Copyright ©2000 Peggy Menear
Copyright ©2000 Jeanette Shiel
All Rights Reserved.
Last updated Tuesday, 13-May-2008 13:14:38 PDT