HISTORY OF GLOVERSVILLE.
Return to pages
71 - 93 Return to Index NOTE: The Index corresponds with
the blue numbers in the left hand corner as you scroll down the page.
Return to pages 71 - 93
Return to Index
NOTE: The Index corresponds with the blue numbers in the left hand corner as you scroll down the page.
Some 12 or 15 years of age, resided with his father, the late Henry Mathews, on a farm about two miles south from Bennett's Corners. While riding a colt from the creek to the stable, the boy was suddenly thrown from the animal's back and killed, about 40 years ago.
BALTUS J. ARGERSINGER.
Resided on a farm about 2 ½ miles south from Bennett's Corners, which is now owned by the heirs of Ira Fox. Mr. Argersinger was a jolly, good-natured widower, some 40 years of age. He hanged himself in a red wagon house on the premises about 20 years ago. The wagon house is still standing.
Was an eccentric little man about 58 years of age, residing one and one-half miles west from Bennett's Corners. Some ten years ago he fell down cellar in the night and struck his head on a stone step, which caused his death a few hours later. His remains are buried in Prospect Hill Cemetery in Gloversville.
Was an eccentric woman, some fifty years of age, who used to often visit the locality west from Bennett's Corners, about 40 years ago. She was very handy with the needle and could quote the Bible from beginning to end. No one knew from whence she came for where she went. She visited that locality for many years, but finally disappeared. After stopping at a neighbor's an hour or two, she would suddenly jump up, exclaiming, "I must go; there they come to get their ropes on me!"
Was an eccentric little man who kept a tavern some 2 ½ miles westerly from Sodom about 70 years ago. He owned three cows that were all equipped with large bells, and roamed about that locality. He advertised his business by a peculiar sign which was often taken down by his waggish neighbors and carried to the woods.
Resided some two miles west from Sodom more that half a century ago. He was found with his neck broken, near his wagon, his team feeding by the wayside. He had evidently fallen from his wagon while passing near a large oak tree on the highway. He left a descendant.
ANDREW J. RODGERS.
Of Perth, erected a large steam saw-mill about two miles northwest from Bennett's Corners. He was suddenly killed while felling a large spruce tree, near his mill, some thirty years ago.
And his wife Abigail, resided some two miles west from Bennett's Corners, about half a century ago. He died from the effects of terrible burns which he received while firing a brush-heap on his farm some forty years ago. He was removed to Gloversville where he breathed his last at the residence of John S. Enos, on Bleecker Street. Counselor Enos had married Lucy Chadsey, a step-daughter of John Dunmore, who was an able farmer.
JOHN DUNMORE, JR.
Was killed by the upsetting of a load of wood, two miles west of Sodom, more than a half a century ago. His intended became the wife of a gentleman who was once a prominent business man of Johnstown.
Was killed by falling from the roof of his saloon, one mile west of Bennett's Corners, about 47 years ago. His remains were buried at Coons School House.
Purchased the farm and fine residence in West Bush, formerly owned and occupied by Clinton Leonard. About twenty-five years ago the dwelling was destroyed by fire, and the remains of Mr. McQuade were found buried in the ruins.
A few years ago, upon the establishment of a post office, the name of the village which had formerly been known as Bennett's Corners was changed to that of "Meco." The godfather who officiated as sponsor when "Meco" was christened was doubtless filled with honest intentions, and wished to honor and perpetuate the name of the ancient patron who had so largely contributed to the prosperity and building up of "Sodom." (For the past half century, the writer has occasionally heard poorly informed people refer to the "Meco" place, and Daniel "Meco".)
That his name was "DANIEL MEEKER" can be proven beyond the possibility of a doubt. The marble monument that has stood at the head of his grave for nearly three-fourths of a century proclaims that his name was "MEEKER". The official records of his many transactions in "old" Montgomery County establish beyond peradventure that his name was "Daniel Meeker." A man of his wealth and ability could doubtless spell his name more correctly than can the gossips of the present generation. He sold lands to Samuel Smith, Duncan McGregor, Peter Wormwood and many others. "Daniel Meeker" deeded to Philander Heacock 52 ¼ acres of land for $1208. The land was located in the town of Johnstown, Montgomery County, on the road leading from Johnstown to Chase's Patent. The deed was given July 20, 1818, and recorded in old book of deeds, No. 5, page 291, December 23, 1823, A. J. Comrie being deputy county clerk.
"Daniel Meeker" of the town of Johnstown, Montgomery County, deeded to John McEwen, of the same place, 120 ¾ acres of land for $1000. The lands were joined by those occupied by George Brownell. The deed was sealed in the presence of Potter Campbell and D. McMartin, Jr. Duncan McMartin Jr. was then one of the Judges of the Court of Common Pleas, of Montgomery County. The land was part of Lot ? …416, in Kingsboro patent. The deed was recorded February 19, 1819, in old book of deeds No. 4, page 481, by John Mc Carthy, county clerk.
"Daniel Meeker" and wife "Eunice" of the town of Johnstown, county of Montgomery, deeded to John McEwen of the same place, 50 acres of land in the town of Johnstown, Montgomery County, for the sum of $2000. The lands were located in and about the village of "Sodom", and was part of Lot 148 in the Kingsboro Patent. Out of the 50 acres the grantor reserved 3 acres that was surveyed in house lots on the north side of the road, being house 1, 2, 3, 4, 9 and 10. He also reserved the land occupied by Stewart Wilson's shop, and the "School House." The deed was recorded February 19, 1819, in old book of deeds No. 4, page 483, by John McCarthy, county clerk.
But "Meco" like the memory of its supposed namesake, is gradually passing to the realm of obscurity. The Meekers, Veghtes, McEwens, Bennetts, Roses and Brownells, have long ago deserted that locality, and the sound of the merry dancers at "Meeker's" Hotel are heard no more. The hotel too has ceased to exist, having been destroyed by fire well towards a half century ago. The saw mills and the skin mills in that vicinity are a thing of the past, and not a wheel revolved in McEwen's grist mill. The Revolutionary soldier has long since passed to his reward, as has also John B. Stewart, who used to pull the victims' teeth with a turnkey, at sixpence per tooth.
"Sodom" has been badly beaten by her early rival sister, "Stump City," in the race for business, influence, wealth and prosperity.
(Index is Danley, but written information is Dawley)
Resided a couple of miles east from Gloversville. He died about half a century ago, aged more than 80 years. He was the grandfather of Hon. Daniel Hays. He has many descendants in Gloversville, Johnstown, Otsego County, Ohio, Indiana and California.
Resided in what was known as the Coon Tavern about 70 years ago. He was the proprietor of a part of the farm on which the tavern was located. He was quite a philosopher, and wore a plug hat. He was a resident of Gloversville at the time of his death. His two sons were Willard and John. The first named was a well known business man of Gloversville for many years and also captain of the "Gloversville Light Artillery." The last named son was a soldier in the late Civil War.
JACOB VAN ATTER.
Resided in what was known as the Coon Tavern about 70 years ago. He was also the proprietor of a portion of the farm on which the tavern was located. He died in Gloversville, aged in years. He has several descendants in this city.
Who was born in Scotland, was once the proprietor of the old Coon Tavern and also owner of the 120 acre farm on which the tavern was located. He purchased the farm from Duncan McGregor, Jacob Van Atter, and the late Lucius J. Smith, who was once the well-known Johnstown merchant. Mr. Grant paid $2300 in gold for the farm. Some fifty years ago he sold the premises and located further towards Gloversville. In April 1854, while removing a load of corn stalks on a sleigh about one mile south from Bennett's Corners, the load was suddenly overturned, throwing Mr. Grant against a pitch pine tree and injuring him so severely in the back that he died nine days later. His remains are buried in the Johnstown Cemetery. He has a son and a daughter residing in Johnstown.
Resided two or three miles westerly from Bennett's Corners, about half a century ago. One night at the Coon, or Grant Tavern, five young men who objected to the conduct of Miss Jewel, proposed to treat her with a coat of tar and feathers. A messenger was sent to Johnstown to procure a bucket of tar, and a bag of feathers was supplied by a near-by neighbor. Equipped with materials for the campaign, the five transgressors marched to the residence of Miss Jewel. They knocked at the door, and a man who appeared was quickly knocked down with the tar bucket. The evil doers' intended victim was then treated to a bounteous supply of tar and feathers. Some of the law-breakers quickly fled from this locality and escaped punishment. Soon after the outrage was committed some of the transgressors were arrested by Constable James Pierson of Johnstown, and later they were tried and punished by the authorities.
Was a prominent petti-fogger in Gloversville, about forty-five years ago. He has descendants in this locality.
Was a well-known mitten peddler in Gloversville nearly fifty years ago. His business was to carry gloves and mittens about the country to be made by hand by the women.
Resided at Bennett's Corners. He conducted a similar business to that of Alfred Hart, about thirty years ago.
ALDEN W. BERRY.
Son of Dr. James Barry of Gloversville, was Assemblyman for several terms.
Of Gloversville, was also an Assemblyman. He has been dead for several years.
Resided in Gloversville in the sixties. He was a professional auctioneer. He left no descendants.
Was a highly respected citizen of Gloversville thirty-five years ago. He was a town assessor and also conducted a meat market for many years. His word was as good as his bond.
Was a popular businessman and a Republican. He was a familiar figure for many years. He was a superintendent of the poor of the county of Fulton.
Resided on Spring Street, Gloversville, thirty-five years ago. He was once a partner with Daniel Stewart in a meat market.
Son of George Musgrave, resided in Gloversville, where he conducted a meat market. He married Jennie Brownell. He was a soldier in the late Civil War. He has descendants residing in the locality of Gloversville.
WILLIAM P. COMRIE.
Son of Peter Comrie, was a well-known resident of Gloversville, nearly half a century ago. He became a prominent Republican politician. He was a capital salesman, and sold gloves through the west for several years. He married Emily Washburn, who is now the wife of John King. He left a son.
Kept a meat market in Gloversville, thirty or forty years ago. He married Margaret Dye. One of his business partners was David Quackenbush.
Son of Daniel Burdick, resided about one mile northerly from Bennett's Corners. He was a well-known farmer. He was killed by lightening while standing on his doorstep a few years ago. He left two daughters.
Resided some two or three miles northwest from Bennett's Corners. He was falling a tree about twenty or twenty-five years ago. As he ran from the falling tree he was struck and instantly killed. He left several descendants.
Resided a couple of miles northwest from Bennett's Corners. He committed suicide by hanging himself in a barn that is still standing in that locality. He left numerous descendants.
Was a well known farmer residing about one mile northerly from Bennett's Corners. Among his children might be mentioned, Daniel, Charles, John, Hollis and Jane.
Son of Lodawick, married Charlotte Lobdell. About forty years ago, a multitude of Gloversville hunters pursued and wounded a mammoth bear, about one-mile west from Bennett's Corners. When tired, Bruin emerged from the pinewoods. Hollis Putman quickly pulled off his boots, and grabbing a small club, he seized the animal by his hair, and clung to him up over the hills, for the distance of nearly a mile, to where the bear was slaughtered.
Son of Isaac, resided about one mile northwest of Bennett's Corners, where he erected a steam sawmill, about thirty-five years ago. He left several descendants.
Resided in the locality of Gloversville about forty years ago. He married Catharine Argersinger. His children were Jacob, Peter, Daniel and several daughters.
Son of Nicholas, died when a young man. He was a beam hand, and after performing his day's labor, attempted to swim across McNab's upper millpond. When near the middle of the dam he was suddenly seized by cramps and drowned. His remains are buried in the Johnstown Cemetery.
Was an Englishman, who resided on North Main Street, Gloversville, about thirty years ago. He was a veteran of the late Civil War. He married Elizabeth Duel.
Was the popular colored barber in Gloversville, in the sixties.
Son of Jacob Graff, was usually called "CURLY" Graff. He was one of the finest snare drummers in Central New York.
Resided a mile or two east of Gloversville. He started for California in the forties, but on reaching the Isthmus of Panama, his toes were attacked by a peculiar and dangerous kind of insects, and he was quickly returned to Gloversville. He was a musician and wore gold earrings. The writer has often danced when the late Isaac fiddled.
While felling a pine tree some two miles west from Bennett's Corners about forty years ago, was stuck by a falling limb, and died a few hours later. Captain Coon bled the dying man with a penknife belonging to the writer.
Who came near Sodom about 75 years ago, was a prominent wall-layer and purchased his first yoke of oxen of the late Elisha Briggs. In company with his brother, Nathaniel, Simeon Oaks laid many thousand rods of heavy stone wall in this locality. He removed far west, where he died many years ago.
Resided more than two miles west from Bennett's Corners, where he died several years ago, aged near a century. He was a slave for the late Abram Niver until slavery was abolished in the State of New York. He was a very honest and industrious Negro, and also a fiddler. He married twice and raised a large family of children. His widow now resides in Johnstown.
Was a slave for Daniel Meeker until slavery was abolished in this state. He was a short, thick-set and jolly Negro, who died many years ago.
Who resided at Sodom, used to dress deerskins on a rock. He left a son named Justice.
Son of Stephen, once resided not far from Bennett's Corners. Later he kept a saloon in Johnstown, and became nearly blind. His sons, Stephen, Marcus and William, were all soldiers in the Civil War, and William never returned. Marcus is buried in the Johnstown cemetery, and Stephen is believed to be in a soldier's home.
Resided about two miles southwest from Sodom. He played the violin. He left a son James, and also several daughters.
Resided nearly a mile westerly from Bennett's Corners. He was an expert basket maker and made baskets (bushel baskets) that would hold water.
Was a tall, lean man, who once resided near Bennett's Corners. He has several descendants in Johnstown and Gloversville.
Was a manufacturer in Gloversville about 40 years ago. He resided on West Fulton Street, and has been dead several years. He left a son and daughters.
DEWITT CLINTON LOYD.
Who was born at sea, came to Gloversville about half a century ago. He had a good education, and wore a plug hat and a swallow-tail coat. He has several descendants in Gloversville.
Once resided a short distance east from Gloversville. She was a fortune-teller and a confederate of the money-diggers who prospected for money by lamplight, west from Sodom, sixty or seventy years ago.
The JOHNSTOWN GAZETTE was published in 1796. The same year the MONTGOMERY ADVERTISER was published at Johnstown by Jacob Dockstader. It soon passed to the hands of James Smith and later to Alvin Romeyn and Mr. Clark, and still later to David Holden. The MONTGOMERY COUNTY REPUBLICAN was commenced at Johnstown in August 1806, by William Child. His brother Asa Child, soon after becoming editor. In 1823, it passed to the hands of William Rolland for two years and then to Peter ? (can't read) continued its publication until 1831, when the office was burned. The paper soon revived and continued until November 1836, when the office was again burned and the publication of the paper discontinued.
The MONTGOMERY INTELLIGENCER was born in 1806 and expired when a yearling.
Robberts and Andrews started the MONTGOMERY MONITOR in 1808, but is soon passed to the hands of Russell Prentice, who sold it in 1824 to Duncan and Daniel McDonald. In 1828 they removed it to Fonda, Then to Canajoharie, and finally to Schoharie. Philip Reynolds, in 1830, ushered in the JOHNSTOWN HERALD from Albany. It had been published there as the "Mohawk Herald." In 1834 it was removed to Fonda and published as the "Fonda Herald." Yates and Co. sired the MONTGOMERY FREEMAN at Johnstown. The NORTHERN BANNER was commenced at Union Hill, Broadalbin, by John Clark. It was removed in a few months to Johnstown and published as the NORTHERN BANNER AND MONTGOMERY DEMOCRAT. In 1837 its name was changed to MONTGOMERY REPUBLICAN. It then passed to William S. Hawley, who changed its name, and in 1838 the FULTON COUNTY DEMOCRAT first saw the light of day. It soon passed to the hands of A. T. Norton, and in 1842 it became the property of Walter N. Clark and later to G. F. Beakley.
The CHRISTIAN PALLADIUM was a semi-monthly published by Joseph Badger in 1836, and removed to Albany in 1840.
The FULTON COUNTY REPUBLICAN was commenced by Darius Wells at Johnstown in 1838. In 1840 it passed to A. M. Wells, and in 1849 to George Henry, who continued its publication till 1860, when the paper discontinued.
The GARLAND was a semi-monthly published at Union Mills and later at Johnstown for a short time by William Clark.
The JOHNSTOWN AMERICAN was commenced at Johnstown, January 1856, by N. J. Johnson. In February, 1857, it was sold to J. Houghtaling, who changed its name to the JOHNSTOWN INDEPENDENT and continued its publication until March 1869, when it passed to the hands of George Heston. It was then started as a know nothing paper, and is now called Fulton County [ ].
The EVENING NEWS was started December 21, 1888 at Johnstown, by Fay Shaul, and discontinued after a couple of years. "The News" is now published at Johnstown by Nellis and Layman.
THE LITERARY JOURNAL.
Was published at Kingsboro in 1843 by S. Sweet.
THE GLOVERSVILLE STANDARD.
Was commenced December 1856, by W. H. Case, from Hartford, Connecticut. In March 1860, it passed to the hands of A. Pierson, who continued its publication until January 1861 when it became the property of George W. Heaton. Prior to the late Civil War the following verse was always found at the masthead:
"Forever float that Standard sheet
Where breathes the foe but falls before us,
With freedom's banner streaming o'er us."
Later the Standard became the property of Hervey Ross, then Charles Hill, and later Deming and Langley, when its publication was discontinued.
THE GLOVERSVILLE INTELLIGENCER.
Was started by the citizens of Gloversville in 1867, with C. N. Kelly as editor. In about six months it was purchased by George M. Thompson. It is now the property of William B. Collins, and is published as a weekly in conjunction with the BROADALBIN HERALD, which was started about fifteen years ago.
THE GLOVERSVILLE DAILY LEADER.
Was established August 30, 1887, by Fay Shaul. In March 1888, William B. Collins purchased a half interest in the paper and this partnership continued until September 1, 1899, when Mr. Collins purchased his partner's interest. The latter continued to publish the paper until February 1, 1891, when the office was consolidated with that of the INTELLIGENCER, the members of the firm then being William B. Collins and Florence M. Leaming. The latter retired.
THE MORNING HERALD.
The "Morning Herald" of Gloversville was established in 1897 by employees of the defunct Standard. A few months ago it was purchased by Hervey Ross, who was editor of the Standard for many years. Was published by A. S. Botsford.
In 1870, contained a saw mill, a grist mill, a skin mill, a glove factory, two wagon shops, two blacksmith shops, a large schoolhouse, a grocery and about twenty-five dwellings.
In 1870, contained a Presbyterian Church, two stores, one grocery, one blacksmith shop and several large glove and mitten factories.
Some three miles northwest from Gloversville, in 1870, contained a Methodist Church, a grist mill, a blacksmith shop, a shoe shop, and about twenty dwellings. The Methodist Society was organized in 1859, and the church edifice was erected the same year.
About two and a half miles northwest from Gloversville, in 1870, contained one skin mill, two glove factories and about fifteen dwellings.
About three and a half miles northwest of Gloversville, in 1870, contained on hotel, one saw mill, one cabinet shop, one wagon shop, and about fifteen dwellings. It received its name in honor of two Irishman who had a fight on the memorable day of the Battle of Bull Run.
Now usually called Broadalbin, was incorporated April 17, 1815, as RAWSONVILLE. In 1870, it contained three churches, two hotels, one printing office, several mills and manufactories and about 1200 inhabitants. In 1870 there were five saw mills, one grist mill and three paper mills in the town of Broadalbin, In 1865 the population of the town of Broadalbin was 2,325. The town was named from a place in Scotland, by James McIntyre, one of the early settlers. The first settler in the town was Henry Stoner, father of Nicholas Stoner the renowned trapper and hunter so widely known through all this region for many years, and whose remains are buried near the soldier's monument in Prospect Hill Cemetery in Gloversville. Henry Stoner located at Fonda's Bush prior to the Revolution.
In 1870, contained two churches, one hotel, three stores, one carriage shop, two blacksmith shops, two glove manufactories, one steel trap manufactory, one harness shop, two shoe shops, one saw mill, one grist mill and about sixty dwellings.
In 1870, contained one hotel, one store, one wagon shop, two blacksmith shops, one tannery, turning out 8,000 sides of leather annually, one saw mill cutting 250,000 feet of lumber annually, one grist mill grinding 75,000 bushels of grain annually, and about twenty dwellings.
In 1870, contained one grocery, two skin mills, turning out 50,000 skins each, annually, and about twenty dwellings.
TOWN OF MAYFIELD.
The settlement of the town of Mayfield was commenced about 1760, under the patronage of Sir William Johnson, at a place called Philadelphia Bush. The first settlers, who obtained a title from Sir William of one hundred acres of land each, were two brothers named Solomon and Seely Woodworth, Truman Christie, two brothers named Reynolds and others named Dunham, Cadman, Canfield and Flock. Christie was a Scotchman, but most of the other settlers were enterprising Yankees. The Woodworths were from Salisbury, Connecticut. Seely settled near the present site of Mayfield village, and his brother about a mile to the westward. Solomon Woodworth was killed by the Indians in the Revolution. Mr. Dunham was also killed by the Indians, and his house was plundered. Dunham had a son in Captain Woodworth's company who shared the fate of his commander. The first settlers were compelled to go to Johnstown for their milling. For their accommodation Sir William erected a small grist mill at Mayfield in 1773 or 1774. It was either burned during the Revolution of allowed to go to decay by neglect. The mill property was confiscated, and at the close of the war it was purchased by a son of Rev. Dr. Romeyn who rebuilt the mill and put it in operation. The bolt in the mill was turned by hand and it was the practice of the customers to turn the bolt for their own grist. The first birth in the town was that of Mary Cough, in 1766. Christian Furtenback taught a German school in 1771. The first church organization was Dutch Reformed, in 1792. In March 1827, it was reorganized as a Presbyterian Church with fifty-six members. In 1870 it had about 100 members. Rev. Jeremiah Wood commenced his pastorate of that church in 1826, and was still officiating in 1870, his services having been continuous. The Methodist Church of Mayfield was organized about the year 1816, with about fifteen members. In 1870 the membership was eighty. The population of the town of Mayfield in 1870 was 2,280.
FIRST TELEGRAPH LINE.
In about the year 1859, Gloversville was first connected with Fonda by telegraph. The late Dr. Crowley of Johnstown was one of the principal promoters of the enterprise.
THE FULTON COUNTY BANK.
Which was located in Gloversville, was chartered in 1852, with a capital of $100,000, which was soon increased to $150,000. Isaac Lafever was its first president, and John McLaren its first chasier. Later, Mr. Lefever having resigned, Henry Churchill became president of the bank. Many years ago the Fulton County bank was converted into the Fulton County National Bank. Its capital is now $150,000 and its surplus is $150,000. The following names persons are now its officers: President, John McNab; Vice President, A. D. L. Baker.
THE MANUFACTURER'S AND MERCHANTS' BANK.
Located in Gloversville has a capital of $100,000. The following named persons are its officers: President, William M. Place; Vice President, W. E. Whitney; Cashier, Charles N. Harris.
PROSPECT HILL CEMETERY.
In 1855, twenty acres were purchased on the uplands, east of the village of Gloversville, for the purpose of a cemetery, and an association was formed and incorporated under the title of the trustees of the Prospect Hill Cemetery. The cost of the land was $1,000. Many remains were removed to the new cemetery from the old one on Fremont Street, where the Methodist and Catholic Churches are now located. The officers of the Prospect Hill Cemetery are now, as follows: President, J. M. Thompson, Treasurer, A. W. Locklin; Superintendent, T. J. Barker. Within the past few years Prospect Hill Cemetery has been greatly enlarged.
Once resided on High Street, Gloversville. He was born April 7, 1815, and died April 28, 1890. He married Mary McLaren, who was born March 16, 1814, and died May 15, 1892. He removed from Gloversville to Johnstown where he became cashier of the McIntyre and McLaren Bank, and later of the Johnstown Bank. His late residence in Johnstown is now the property of Chauncey Argersinger, postmaster of Albany.
The Churchill's came from Connecticut. They are descendants of the Connecticut Puritans, and can trace their lineage back seven generations to Josias Churchill, Sr. Accounts are given of him in the year 1643, as a man of note in the colony. The name Churchill is historical. John Churchill was raised to the peerage with the title of Duke of Marlborough and other branches of the family obtained lordships and baronetcies. The line of descent from Josias Churchill is as follows: Joseph, Nathaniel, Nathaniel Jr., Amos, Jesse, Henry and his children, making as above stated, seven generations.
Came from Wethersfield, Connecticut, and settled in Broadalbin. He married Lydia Cowles of Meriden, Connecticut. Their children were Lydia, Hulda, Amos Jr., Roswell, Lucy and Jesse.
Married Catharine Smith of Middletown. He died March 29, 1842. Their children were William E., Henry, Timothy G., Mary Ann, Lucy Maria, Jane E., Allen C., and Charles B. Jesse Churchill once kept a hotel in Johnstown.
ALLEN C. CHURCHILL.
Son of Jesse, was born July 17, 1820, and died several years ago. He was a prominent citizen of Gloversville for many years. He married Caroline C. Warner, at Gloversville, October 28, 1840, who was born December 29, 1820. Their children were Sarah L., Emily L., William L., Clara B. and Allen C. His second wife was the widow of the late Austin Kasson.
Son of Jesse, was born February 17, 1817. Left at an early age to mainly rely on his own resources, he later spent several years as clerk in a mercantile establishment in Albany. In 1829 he became a merchant in Gloversville. Later he became connected with the Gloversville Seminary, and was also president of the Fulton County Bank. He was an early candidate for Assemblyman, and was once nominated as a candidate for the State Senate. He was indeed a self-made man. He married Selina Burr of Gloversville, who was born March 15, 1808, and died March 13,1851. Their children were William S., Helen, Alice, Caroline and of John H. Filmer, the courteous and obliging chairman of the Fulton County Board of Supervisors.
The writer is now in possession of an ancient relic which will doubtless soon find its way to the rooms of the Johnstown Historical Society. The highly prized relic was the ledger of the late Henry Churchill of Gloversville, in 1836. In this interesting book the accounts are recorded in a scholarly manner, in dollars, shillings and pence. About four years ago Chairman Filmer purchased a building on East Pine Street, Gloversville, wherein the amusing relic was discovered. The book, which has been partially burned to a crisp, was evidently used for a scrap book in the sixties. The first page of the relic is now covered with an issue of "Harper's Weekly" date March 22, 1862, containing a picture and history of Lieutenant Warden, and also a picture of the little "MONITOR," which he commanded at the Battle of Hampton Roads, which was fought on Saturday and Sunday. Lieutenant Warden was stunned in the battle and carried away. On recovering he asked, "Have I saved the Minnesota?" The reply was, "Yes, and whipped the Merrimac," to which he answered, "Then I don't care what becomes of me." Captain Buchanan, of the Merrimac, was seriously wounded, four of his crew were killed, and several injured. The next page contains pictures of the MONITOR, MERRIMAC and CUMBERLAND. The next page has pictures of rebel battery at Cockpit Point, Union battery at Budd's Ferry, rebel earthworks at the mouth of Quantico Creek, and Evansport batteries. The book contains a picture of Fort Donelson, and a Union charge on the same by Colonels Smith and McGinnis, led by General Lewis Wallace. Pictures of Fort Henry, Newport News, General Mansfield, New Fernandina, Fort Clinch, Fort Holt, Fremont's army in Missouri, Goose Creek, Bishop Ames, Hamilton Fish, Castle Lincoln, Fort Davis, General Rosseau, Sickles, and many others were found in the book.
The recorded figures in the ancient ledger show that mackerel cost six shillings each, snuff 4 shillings per pound, calico one shilling and six pence per yard, tea 8 shillings per pound, pitchers 5 shillings each, cups and saucers 7 shillings per dozen, sugar 14 cents per pound, tobacco 1 shilling per pound, hats 9 shillings each, stocks 9 shillings each, suspenders 6 shillings per pair, flannel 2 shillings per yard, needles 16 cents per paper, screws 2 cents per dozen, hay forks 5 shillings each, rub-stones 1 shilling each, cambric 1 shilling per yard, matches 1 shilling per box, umbrellas 18 shillings each, boots 32 shillings per pair, whips 10 shillings each, paper of pins 1 shilling, molasses 5 shillings per gallon, tobacco boxes 1 shilling each, shoes 6 shillings per pair, nails 10 cents per pound, Thibet shawls 18 shillings each, saleratus 18 cents per pound, raisins 18 cents per pound, socks 3 shillings per pair, salt 6 shillings per bushel, moccasins 8 shillings per pair, candles 19 cents per pound, starch 19 cents per pound, almanacks 2 shillings each, files 1 shilling each, gaiter boots 12 shillings per pair, coffee 18 cents per pound, side combs 6 cents per pair, and thimbles at three cents each.
Now Gloversville, has easily outrun its early rivals, Sodom and Johnstown, in the race for wealth, business, prosperity and population.
Now contains one blacksmith shop, one hotel, some twenty-five dwellings, and from seventy-five to one hundred inhabitants.
In 1898, contained 76 shops and mills, 94 stores, 1813 dwellings, about ten thousand people, and an equalized valuation of $4,363,990. Also 17 doctors and lawyers.
In 1898, contained 190 shops and mills, 238 stores, 3,051 dwellings, about 18,000 people, and an equalized valuation of $6,179,396. Also 34 doctors and 30 lawyers.
The remains of the early pioneers of "Stump City" have long since moldered beneath the clods of the valley, and the dust of ages has accumulated over their ashes. Time has flapped his mighty pinions over them and their names and deeds are fast being swept into the dark cavern of oblivion. The towering pine giants of the then unbroken forest have bowed their stately tops to the adventurous pioneer and disappeared as if some mighty power, some magic hand, had swept them from the earth, and in their stead, costly residences, elegant churches, and mammoth brick blocks now greet the eye in all directions. And now after the lapse of more than a century, as the sun descends below the western horizon, his last lingering kisses are bestowed upon the near-by "KLIPP" HILLS, and the towering "MAYFIELD" MOUNTAINS, that overlook the beautiful, wealthy, and populous city of Gloversville.
The postmasters of Gloversville, since it has been known by that name, and which were taken from the records at Washington, have been as follows:
Henry Churchill, appointed January 29, 1829
Harvey Jones, appointed August 26, 1841
Henry Churchill, August 6, 1845
Lorain Suderlin, August 6, 1845
Henry Churchill, May 18, 1847
Elisha L. Burton, June 8, 1849
Loyd E. Copeland, June 15, 1853
Ebenezer R. Mackey, September 26, 1854
Isaac Combes, February 13, 1855
Elisha L. Burton, May 20, 1861
Esther L. Burton, October 28, 1862
Edward Ward, January 16, 1871
Albert W. Locklin, February 26, 1887
George C. Potter, February 9, 1891
Hervey Ross, March 2, 1895
W. N. Stewart, July 8, 1897.
*** *** *** *** *** ***
Retrun to Fulton County GenWeb
New York GenWeb
Copyright ©2000 Peggy Menear
Copyright ©2000 Jeanette Shiel
All Rights Reserved.
Last updated Tuesday, 13-May-2008 13:14:37 PDT