George D. Rapport, Decorated WWI Veteran

Click to Enlarge

George David Rapport was born 7 Jul 1896 in Yonkers, NY. He moved with his father, Barnet William Rapport (or Rappaport) before 1910, to Gloversville, NY. He enlisted in the NY National Guard on 30 March 1916 and stated at this time that he was born in Gloversville, but other records show that he was born in Yonkers. He served in Co G, 2nd Infantry and was promoted to a Sergeant on 1 Nov 1917. The unit was redesignated as Co G, 105th Infantry, 27th Division in WWI. He served overseas from 18 May 1918 to 6 Mar 1919 and was honorably discharged on 1 Apr 1919. After the war he came back to Gloversville for a couple years before moving to Attleboro/Boston, MA, about 1921. On 7 Apr 1923, he recieved the Distinguished Service Cross for his actions in WWI near St. Souplet, France on 17 Oct 1918.

The Morning Herald, Gloversville, Thursday 19 Apr 1923


Sergeant With Company G During World War Given Recognition - Only Two Other Men in Fulton County, Rev. Francis. A. Kelley and Former Sheriff Ingram Have Received This Award.

George D. Rapport, who served as a sergeant with Company G, 105th U. S. Infantry during the World war, has been awarded the Distinguished Service Cross for heroism in action, displayed during the night of October 17-18 between St. Supplet and Abres Guernon, France. At that time, Sergeant Rapport captured, single-handed a German machine gun nest, which had been troublesome to the advancing American forces.

This award, only surpassed by the Congressional Medal of Honor, is rarely awarded and it required the greatest courage in action and unusual bravery to earn the coveted distinction. Only two other men in. Fulton county have been awarded the honor which has come to Sergeant Rapport. One is Former Sheriff Lee Ingram, who under machine gun fire, rescued several American soldiers from exposed positions in front of the Hindenburg Line, a few weeks before Sergeant Rapport's heroic act. The other is the Rev. Francis A. Kelley, pastor of the Chapel of the Saered Heart and known to all former service men as the "Fighting Chaplain" of the 27th Division. Father Kelley received the D. S. C. for unusual heroism and bravery under shell and machine gun fire while ministering to the wounded and dying during the conflict.

The act for which Sergeant Rapport won this coveted award, forms one, of the individual items of bravery which make the pages of history so brilliant. The Gloversville soldiers, in company with others of "New York's Own," had broken through the Hindenburg line when Sergeant Rapport performed the deed for which he is to receive the decoration. The company had reached the neighborhood of St. Supplet and bres Guernon, with German machine gunners blocking the advance at every turn. One of these Machine gun nests, was directly in front of Company G and barred the way to further advances. During the night, Sergeant Rapport, armed with his revolver and several grenades, went over the top and crawled cautiously toward the unsuspecting Germans. When, he reached the entrenchment of the Kaiser's troops Sergeant Rapport Jumped and landed in their midst, the scuffle ending victoriously for the American. He captured the entire nest, equipment, men and supplies, thus enabling the company to resume its victorious advance.

The Adjutant General of the army has informed Captain T. Forrest Brown of Amsterdam, who was commander of Company G during the war, that the decoration would be sent through the Quartermaster General of the army to the commanding general of the First Army Corps Area at Boston, where Sergeant Rapport now lives. When the decoration arrives, there will be a formal presentation, and Captain Brown, together with Captain Kearney of Company H, the remnant of the war-time Company G, and Father Kelley will attend. Sergeant Rapport served under Captain Kearney as second-lieutenant after the war, until he moved to Boston, and resigned his commission.



I knew Sergeant Rapport and his work intimately and well. My only regret has been and is, that so many lads brave and courageous, have not received the honors they so splendidly merited. To me it is a cause of great happiness to see this lad now recognised on the honor list. His every work and deed deserved the recognition he has now received.



A couple years after returning to Gloversville after the war, he moved to Attleboro, Mass, where he served 1 term as a selectman, a couple years as Attleboro's Chief of Police ('35-'36) and most of the rest of the time as a State Trooper (sergeant), retiring about 1949. Upon his retirement he organized the Retired State Troopers organization and was president of this organization until his death. He died in a hospital in Boston, on 22 Nov 1961 and was buried in Mt. Hope Cemetery, North Attleboro, MA. He was married to Lila [unknown surname] who apparently died before him and he apparently had no children.


Copyright © 1999-2015: Fulton County NYGenWeb     Design by Iron Spider