Monument for VANBUREN BROTHERS,
PIONEERS, DEDICATED AT MUNSONVILLE
Rev. Ruliffson, Mayfield, Covers History of men in Historical Talk
MAYFIELD - A large gathering attended the
unveiling ceremonies of the monument in memory of Major Harmon and
Francis Van Buren, soldiers of the Revolution, which were held yesterday
afternoon at 3, on the Frank VanDenburgh farm, at Munsonville.
Mrs. John M. Burton, of the General Richard
Montgomery Chapter of the D. A. R. presided as regent. The program
was opened with a selection by the Mayfield Band, conducted by Wallace
Spraker of Gloversville, and followed by "America" sang by the
audience led by Walker La Rowe of Northville. A decorated
truck furnished by W. De Colyer and son of Phelps street was used for the speakers stand.
The invocation was given by Rev. William H. Kroeger, pastor of the Mayfield Methodist
Episcopal church. An historical address by Rev. E. J. Ruliffson, town historian, was made at
this time; telling of the history of the Van Buren family, beginning with their early
pilgrimage to the Uinted States from Holland.
To Sally Van Buren, a great, great, great, great granddaughter of Francis Van Buren was given
the honor of the unveiling. This disclosed a bronze tablet bearing the following inscription:
Pioneers of Mayfield
Major Harmon Van Buren, 1734 - 1819
Francis Van Buren 1728-1813
Their wives, Eva and Johanna Van Slyck
Natives of Kinderhook
Soldiers of the Revolution
After the unveiling "America the Beautiful" was then sung by the gathering. Greetings appropriate
to the occasion were made by Charles Van Allen, a relative of the Van Burens. This was followed by a brief address
by Frank Monaghan, Past Commander of the Veterans of Foreign Wars. The firing squad fired three volleys, in charge
of Reuben Todd. The members of the firing squad were: William White, Ervin Gentner, Myron Merrill, Robert Brewey
and Mr. Harris. "Taps" sounded by Byron E. Eiphee closed the dedication ceremonies.