~~~ Early Northampton People & Events ~~~
The following history was taken from:
"History of Montgomery and Fulton Counties, N.Y.", (New York: F. W. Beers & Co.) 1878, page 232-233.
This town was formerly a part of Broadalbin, and was taken off February 1st, 1799. The first town meeting was held May 24th of the same year. This town takes in the whole some, and parts of other patents and purchases. First is the Northampton patent, after which the town is named. A part of Bergen's purchase is also included. His warrant bears date October 7th, 1785; the tract begins at the northwest corner of the Northampton patent. A portion of Norman McLeod's grant of 3,000 acres, dated September 29th, 1770 is in this town; also 31 lots of Jeremiah Van Rensselaer's. The Baptist church of Northville is supposed to stand upon lot No. 4 of this patent. The Sacondaga patent also covers a portion of the southwest part of this town.
From the Records
The records in the town are partially lost, but a few interesting items may be gleamed from the remnants accessible.
In 1797, Elijah Sheldon and Calvin Young are recorded as commissioners of highways; and in 1795, Calvin Young, Alexander Murray, and Peter Hubbell.
In 1795, the first road was laid out, from the bridge at S. P. Corey's, on the best ground, to the Hog's Back, at Hunter's creek. Within the next two years roads were laid out through other parts of the town.
In 1805 it was voted that John Porter be excused from paying a fine for killing deer out of season; and that hogs be free commoners, provided they were sufficiently yoked. The next year, a sufficient yoke was defined as one "in length, the width of the neck above the neck, and half the width of the neck below the neck".
The town treasury must have been in a singular condition in 1808, when it was "voted that the money now on hand be put at good double security."
In 1814 $80 was raised for the poor.
In 1813 the first school districts were laid out, eleven in all; now there are fourteen.
In 1817 it was voted that the "supervisors and others should build suitable buildings for the poor," for whom $300 was reported raised.
In 1818 it was voted to allow John Fay $6 for transporting guns and ammunition from this town to Albany.
In 1821 it was "resolved, by a great majority, that the town meeting be held at J. Van Arnam's, near the meeting-house.
In 1826 the supervisor was instructed to vote against the poorhouse system.
Officials from Northampton
This town has furnished its full quota of national and State legislators, including John Fay, M. C., (elected in 1820) and Alex St. John, C. S. Grinnell, Joseph Spier, Darius Moore, William A. Smith, ___ Hayner, L. I. Marvin, John Patterson, Joseph Covill, ___ Gleason, William Coppernoll and William F. Barker, members of the State Legislature. This town has also furnished the county officers as follows: Amasa Shippee, elected sheriff in 1840; superintendent of the poor, ___ Sanford; superintendent of schools, Jason Bacon, Flood B. Sprague and Ira H. Van Ness.
The following is a list of early Supervisors and Town Clerks:
Alexander St. John 1799-1803 John Nash 1804-1805 Abram Van Arnam 1806 John Fay 1807-1813 Joseph Spier 1814-1822 Nathaniel Wescott 1823-1836 John Patterson 1837-1841 Nathan B. Lobdell 1842-1843 Abram H. Van Arnam 1844-1845 William Slocum 1846-1847 Cyrus Stone 1848-1849 Fay Smith 1850-1851 William A. Smith 1852 William Slocum 1853-1854 Morgan Lewis 1855-1856 Seth Cook 1857-1858 William F. Barker 1859-1860 H. D. Smith 1861-1862 Gilbert Le Fever 1863-1864 H. D. Smith 1865-1866 A. Newcomb Van Arnam 1867-1868 Thomas H. Rooney 1869-1872 A. Newcomb Van Arnam 1873-1875 George M. Gifford 1876 Robert Humphrey 1877
John Dennison 1800-1803 Abram Van Arnam 1804-1805 J. A. Van Arnam 1806 Daniel Brownell 1807 Jacob Van Arnam 1808-1809 J. Lobdell 1810-1812 William Hammond 1813 Godfrey T. Shew 1814-1815 Nathaniel Lobdell 1816-1820 Abram Van Arnam, jr. 1821 Joseph F. Spier 1822-1828 C. S. Grinnell 1829-1830 Flavel B. Sprague 1831-1833 John Patterson 1834-1835 Wright Newton 1836-1837 William H. Van Ness 1838 Seth Cook 1839-1840 D. R. Smith 1841 M. W. Newton 1842-1843 Peter D. Gifford 1844 Harvey D. Smith 1845-1846 Benjamin Smith 1847-1848 William H. Van Ness 1849 Seth Cook 1850-1851 John W. Cook 1852 Morgan Lewis 1853-1854 Joseph M. Gifford 1855 H. D. Smith 1856-1857 A. J. Smith 1858-1859 S. B. Benton 1860 Charles A. Baker 1861 John W. Cook 1862-1863 J. H. Smith 1864 A. Pulling 1865 B. N. Lobdell 1866 A. Pulling 1867-1868 P. Conkling 1869-1870 R. S. Gifford 1871 Amos H. Van Arnam 1872 Theodore Scribner 1873 C. E. Manning 1874 Jonathan Baker 1875 George N. Brown 1876 George Van Arnam 1877
The first school-house was in what is now District no. 1, at Fish House and nearly or quite on the site of the present one.
Thomas Foster built the first grist mill in the town, on Hunter's creek, in what is now the village of Northville. Mr. Fuller has a mill now upon the same site.
The first clothier's store was also on Hunter's creek, within the corporate limits of Northville. It was built by a Mr. Potter, and long ago went to decay.
The first marriage in the town was that of Alexander St. John and Martha Scribner, in 1798. The first child born in the town was Godfrey Shew. The first death was that of Gideon Olmsted.
The brick store opposite the Osborn House, at Fish House, and built by Hon. John Fay, is probably the oldest brick building in the town, as it was built in 1809. The brick house owned by Mr. Spiers, in Northville, was built in 1820; and the "Marvin House", at Fish House, in 1824.
The first frame house, after Sir William's, was built by John Nash, near the outlet of Vlaie creek, in the vicinity of Fish House; also a blacksmith shop.
Tradition says that the first log house in the town was built near the south end of Fish House bridge, on the north side of the road, and in after years owned by a Mr. McNutt.
Covered Bridge at Fish House
The Northville Bridge, which spans the Sacondaga at Northville, was built in 1860, at a cost of about $2,500, and is as good as new.
In 1875 the Gloversville and Northville Railroad was completed to its present terminus opposite Northville at the town bridge. The town issued its bonds in 1872 to the amount of $20,000 to aid in the construction of the road, and about $80,000 was invested in the line as individual subscriptions by citizens of the town.
Copyright ©2000, Jeanette Shiel
All Rights Reserved.
Last updated Tuesday, 13-May-2008 13:12:03 PDT