Postmasters of Oppenheim

Including the History of Crum Creek
& Postmasters of Crum Creek, Middle Sprite, & Oppenheim

 

Linda Kreisher generously typed this piece.   She is researching the FONDA family starting with Douw Jellise b.1640 appx. and the Marlette family starting with Gedeon b. 1624.  Most of her research has been centered around New Jersey and New York, especially Albany, Fultonville, Fonda, Herkimer & Montgomery Counties and the Mohawk Valley.

Hector Allen, Town Historian of Oppenheim donated the following information.

THE POSTMASTERS OF OPENHEIM OR OPPENHEIM AND THEIR DATES OF APPOINTMENT

OPENHEIM

PostMaster Date of Appointment
Ezekial Belding Feb. 6, 1813 (4/1/13)
Ezekial Belding Feb. 28, 1819
George W. Burr Dec. 22, 1840
Ezekial Belding Aug. 6, 1843
Peter W. Plantz April 8, 1844
John P. House June 22, 1849
John P. Cline Oct. 24, 1851
John P. Swarthout Sept. 3, 1853
Augustus Brown Dec. 12, 1856

  

OPPENHEIM

PostMaster Date of Appointment

John P. Swarthout

June 5, 1861
John N. Cline May 3, 1870
Anson F. Brown June 13, 1883
Alva Mosher March 25, 1884
Anson E. Brown Nov. 20, 1884
Charles E. Brown Nov. 19, 1885
Anson E. Brown July 24, 1889
Newel A. Brown Aug. 14, 1901

Discontinued 11/30/01
Effective 12/14/01

Mail to Crum Creek
Order Rescinded 12/5/01

Melvin E. Barker Sept. 10, 1902

Discontinued 4/12/07
Effective 4/30/07

Mail to St. Johnsville

Compiled from postal records in the National Archives Washington, D.C. by Ralph Reynolds, 7 Wooster Street, Gloversville, N.Y. (circa 1975)




THE POSTMASTERS OF MIDDLE SPRITE AND THEIR DATES OF APPOINTMENT

PostMaster Date of Appointment
Abram D. Pinckney March 10, 1864
Jeremiah S. Austin Nov. 5, 1888
James B. Austin June 1, 1891
George Van Allen Jan. 12, 1901
Malvin Brownell March 12, 1901
George Van Allen Feb. 4, 1903
Discontinued March 15, 1915 Mail to Dolgeville


Compiled from postal records in the National Archives Washington, D.C. by Ralph Reynolds, 7 Wooster Street, Gloversville, N.Y.  (circa 1975)

 

CRUM CREEK POST OFFICE STAMP STILL AROUND

The cross-roads of Crum Creek no longer has a Post Office. However, from 1854 to 1905 it did. There was never a regular Post Office building; the appointed Postmasters usually used a room in their house, or if they owned a store, that place was the official Post Office.

The first Postmaster of Crum Creek was Emory G. Storms. Mr. Storms received his commission as Postmaster on July 17, 1854 during the administration of President Franklin Pierce. Mr. Storms would serve three times as Postmaster, for a total of 35 years! In those days, the Post Office positions were highly political, so when there was a change of party in the national administration, the Postmaster could lose his or her job.

The cancellation stamp for Crum Creek is now in the possession of Mr. Harlin Smith of St. Johnsville, a descendant of Emory G. Storms. Mr. Storms’ certificate of appointment by Postmaster General James Campbell is also still in existence, in possession of Mrs. Francis Shuster of Dolgeville.

The other Postmasters of Crum Creek were: Lydia A. Yauney, appointed in 1855, William Failing, appointed briefly in 1867, and George Reese who was the last Postmaster, serving from 1889 to 1905.

There were 4 other Post offices in the Town of Oppenheim, all of them closing by 1915. They were: Brockett’s Bridge (in the old tavern just on the East side of the bridge carrying Route 29 over East Creek), Lottville, Middlesprite (also known as the "Irish Settlement"), and Oppenheim (located at what was known as the "Center", where Route 29 and Route 331 cross). The latter Post Office was often located in the Oppenheim General Store, but sometimes was in private homes.

The advent of the automobile, and better roads, spelled an end for most of these small Post Offices. Now the Town of Oppenheim is served by two Post Offices, St. Johnsville in the East end and Dolgeville in the Western section.

 

THE POSTMASTERS OF CRUM CREEK, N.Y.  AND THEIR DATES OF APPOINTMENT

PostMaster Date of Appointment
Emory G. Storms June 29, 1854
Lydia A. Yauney May 8, 1855
Emory G. Storms Dec. 17, 1859
William Failing July 6, 1867
Rescinded July 25, 1867
Emory G. Storms July 25, 1867
George Reese June 15, 1889
Discontinued Nov. 6, 1905 Effective Dec. 14, 1905 Mail to St. Johnsville

   

Compiled from postal records in the National Archives Washington, D.C. by Ralph Reynolds, 7 Wooster Street, Gloversville, N.Y. (circa 1975)

  


Return to Fulton County NYGenWeb

NYGenWeb

Copyright 1999,2000 Jeanette Shiel
Copyright 1999,2000 H3ector Allen, Ralph Reynolds
All Rights Reserved.


 Last updated Tuesday, 13-May-2008 13:11:42 PDT