Written and contributed (including photo
by Gordon Cornell,
Of the various village houses of worship, the
Episcopal Chapel was the least used and the most difficult on which to
obtain data. Information handed down from generation to generation
would cause one to believe it was used only by the more affluent
families living on Maple Street. However, the following article,
found in the April 20, 1888 issue of the Broadalbin Herald gives the
reader a different point of view. "Work is rapidly progressing on the
new Episcopal Church on Maple Street. From the present appearances
it will be a small but highly attractive place of worship, and doubtless
call out a number of our villagers to listen to the really beautiful services of
the church. All are most cordially invited to attend."
The church was frequently referred to as Husted's Chapel, having been built by Col.
William Husted, and was located on the west side of the street between Thompson
and North Streets. It adjoined the stone wall on Maple Street near the
present home of Jeanne Wilkinson. In the early 1920's ownership was
transferred to Mr. Arthur A. Chalmers.
The Chapel was moved by Mr. Chalmers to the lawn across the street from his mansion in the spring of
1943. A series of photos, showing it move up Maple Street behind the 1928
and 1932 Linn Tractors owned by the Town of Broadalbin, have preserved
At its new location, the color was changed to white
with a most attractive arrangement of shrubs in front and on the
sides. There is little question that it was more noticeable and
attractive in its new location.
The Chapel was not used, at least in the past 50 to 75 years, on a regular basis. It was however, used
by both the Husted and Chalmers families for baptisms, weddings and funerals
when a minister was brought in to conduct the services. Some of the
ministers who conducted services were the Rev. Dr. Edward T. Carroll and the Rev.
William D. Orr of St. Ann's Episcopal Church in Amsterdam.
Some years ago Larry Mills, the grandson of Arthur Chalmers, told of his marriage to
Elma Finch which took place in the Chapel when it was still in its original
location. A newspaper article dated November 14, 1940, carries a notice of
When Mr. Chalmers died in April of 1966 he
left the Chapel to his grandson, the Rev. John Mills. It was Mr. Chalmers
stipulation that when the Reverend no longer had use for the Chapel it was to be
During 1981 it became apparent that the Chapel would
soon disappear and become a memory. An effort was mounted by some local
citizens to prevent the destruction but this effort was not successful in light
of the fact that it was clearly pointed out in the will just how this matter
should be handled.
Fortunately there are many photos around to
preserve the memories of this former Broadalbin landmark.