Churches of Fulton County
~ Ephratah ~



Church Listings

~~~ Past & Present ~~~

The Baptist Church of Pleasant Valley
In December, 1835, Erastus Miner was ordained and installed as the first pastor of this new church.   November 3d, 1877.  This society occupied the Union church building, alternating with the Methodist society, until 1842, since which time it has been kept in repair, improved, and occupied exclusively by the Baptists.

The Lassellsville M. E. Church
Established 1840.  The Union church of Lassellsville was erected, in 1839, by the united efforts of the Presbyterian Lutheran, Dutch Reformed, Baptist and Universalist societies, and dedicated January 11th, 1840.  It is at present occupied exclusively by the "Christian" denomination.

The M. E. Church of Rockwood
On the 24th of January, 1842, a complete and permanent organization was effected, with a membership of 45. The following persons were, at the same time, elected as trustees: George Jeffers, Giles D. Day, Peter Simmons and Peter R. Simmons.  This society was immediately incorporated as "The Methodist Episcopal Church of Pleasant Valley."  It at once commenced the erection of a church edifice, which was completed the same year.   The first pastor of the new church was Rev. James Conner, who was followed successively by Dillon Stevens, M. Townsend, J. Quinlan, A. Mosher, B. Isabell, O. E. Spicer, Henry Williams, James Tubbs, C. A. Anderson, N. Whitman, L. Warner, J. C. Walker, A. Robins, T. F. Hannah, E. E. Taylor, William J. Sands, Henry White, Milton Taylor, M. D. Jump, H. Harris, Joel Hall, Legrand Jones and D. M. C. Shell, the pastor in 1877.   This circuit retained the name of "Pleasant Valley" until the erection, in 1861, of the M. E. church edifice at Ephratah village, when it was changed to the "Rockwood and Ephratah Charge."

The Reformed Church of Ephratah
Ephratah Reformed Church  (off-site link)
Organized on March 17th, 1823, at the school-house in District No. 9 of the town of Palatine, by the election of the following trustees: Peter G. Getman, Thos. Davies, James Getman, Philip Kring, William Lassell, Jonathon Selter, Timothy Riggs, Chauncey Hutchinson and Caleb Johnson;  clerk, James W. Johnson.

One week later, they were duly named  "The First Presbyterian Church and Society of the Town of PALATINE."   The Rev. Elisha Yale, of Kingsboro, preached to the congregation occasionally for the first year.  Rev. Caleb Knight became their first regular pastor, June 20th, 1824.   Upon his removal the society became inactive, and at length the meetings ceased entirely, the last one being held in September, 1827.

In 1829 Dr. Solomon Cummings, the last clerk, and a leading member of the late society, together with a few others, commenced the erection of a church edifice at Ephratah village.  On July 2d, 1832, a new organization – composed largely of members of the former society – was effected, under the title of "The Presbyterian and Reformed Dutch Church of Ephratah."  John S. Lasher, John Jacob Snell and Christian Suits were elected elders; and Peter Putnam and Moses Suits as deacons. Rev. Isaac S. Ketcham, of Stone Arabia, became their first pastor, preaching every Sunday afternoon.

The Tillaborough Church Lot
(The United Reformed Dutch and Lutheran Church of Tillaborough) - About two miles north of Ephratah village lies a lot of one hundred acres, known as the "Tillaborough church lot."   This lot was given by "Rev. John Ogilivie, clerk, and Isaac Lowe, merchant"  by deed in trust, to Johannes Winkle, Jury Frey, Hendrick Herring and Philip Cool on Sept. 1st, 1757, with condition that "a church edifice be erected thereon within seventy years, for the worship of God according to the usage of any of the reformed Protestant denominations in Europe or these provinces".

On April 7th, 1823, a meeting was held at a school-house  at which a religious society was formed, under the title of  "The United Reformed Dutch and Lutheran Church of Tillaborough, in the Town of Palatine."  Nicholas Smith, Philip Cool, Jacob Cool, Jacob Duesler and Peter Smith were elected trustees. In 1827 a small church was built on the lot, which, through neglect, is now in ruins.  On Feb. 1st, 1866 – the original society having become inactive – a new united Lutheran and Reformed Church was organized, which attempted to take control of these lands from the former elected trustees.  This produced a lawsuit, which resulted in the trustees holding the lot, and the new church soon after died out as an organization. On March 13th, 1876, the trustees obtained a permit from the Supreme Court of this State to sell the lands, invest the proceeds, and expend the interest there from for religious services in the school-houses.

The "Six Principle Baptist" Society
A society of this persuasion was formed at Pleasant Valley (now Rockwood) May 2d, 1818, as the "Palatine Branch" of a church of like faith at Amsterdam; and for several years was ministered to, at intervals only, by Rev. Ezra Allen, Rev. James T. Joslin, and Rev. William Groom. On the 10th of June, 1830 they were re-organized as an independent church.  The Rev. William Thompson became their first regular pastor January 29th, 1831.

The members of this society began to entertain the views of, and grow into sympathy with, the regular Baptist denomination; for upon the formation of the Otsego Baptist Association, on March 20th, 1834, the Six Principle Baptist church of Pleasant Valley almost unanimously (there being but two dissenters) joined that body, changing their name, creed, and articles of faith in conformity therewith.  The society has since been known as:

The Union Society of Pleasant Valley
Organized January 24th, 1834, by the election of Joseph Dennis, Rouse Simmons, Dutee Joslin, Robert Weaver, Chauncey Orton and Azel Hough as a board of trustees, and was soon after incorporated under the above title.  The religious denominations represented in this union were the "Six Principle Baptist," Methodist Episcopal, Baptist (regular), and Presbyterian. In 1833 the present Union church of Rockwood was erected by this society, and the records of that date show an amicable allotment of time, whereby the Six Principle Baptists were to have the privilege of occupying the building every Sunday forenoon; the balance of the time being apportioned to the M. E. Society, the Baptists and to the Presbyterians.  This arrangement, however, became inoperable years ago, as the Presbyterian society ceased to exist, the Methodists built a church of their own and the Six Principle Baptists merged into the regular Baptists.  The title to the church’s property remains unchanged, but the building is at present occupied exclusively by the Baptists, there being no other church organization in the place except the Methodist.

Stone Arabia Reformed Church (off site link) 


Return to Fulton County Page

New York GenWeb

Copyright © 1999-2008, Jeanette Shiel and Fulton County NYGenWeb
All Rights Reserved.

Last updated Wednesday, 03-Sep-2008 13:58:06 PDT