Mae Rossiter Scrapbook
Rockwood, N. Y. 1903




Articles posted are in order as they appear in the original book.  For the index, click here.
Many thanks to MaryAnn Kassan for volunteering to type these pages.



ROCKWOOD News, 1904.

Mrs. Sherman of West Bush is visiting her daughter, Mrs. George Brookins.
Mrs. Green has returned from a visit to Stone Arabia.
Mrs. Everett Young, who has been very ill, is somewhat better.
Mr. Abram Lowrie is in poor health and has not been out in several days.
Mr. Van Qandt is clerking for Everett Young.
Eugene Bradt took a porker to Meco Thursday afternoon.
Walter C. Smith was home recently, Mr. and Mrs. Clark Walrath Miss Irene Hanners were with him.
It is rumored that Charles Flynn has exchanged his place for a home in Gloversville and that Dr. Brookins is going to move into Mr. Flynn’s hosue.
Mr. and Mrs. Sitterly who have been staying with Menzo Smith are visiting in Gloversville.
Abram Palmatier and family have moved in Harry Pettingall’s house.



ROCKWOOD News, no date.

Eli Gray lost a valuable colt Sunday morning.
Addison Trumbull from Lassellsville, was in town Tuesday on business.
Nelson Everest attended the poultry show at Johnstown Thursday and Friday of last week.
Mr. and Mrs. Dewitt Dorn spent a couple of days of last week visiting at the home of Mrs. Everest.
Many people in this vicinity have been subpoenaed upon the Hadcock trial which is now in progress.
Charles Flynn, who is about to remove to Gloversville, will have an auction on Wednesday, to dispose of some of his goods.



OPPENHEIM News, no date.

Mrs. E. Darling was the guest of her son, Herbert, one day last week.
Mrs. Patrick Sullivan and daughter, Teresa, were recent visitors at Dolgeville.
Mr. and Mrs. Roland Cline was the guest of Mrs. and Mrs. Rred [sic] Cline recently.
Mr. William Stahl is spending a couple of weeks with his son, William, Jr., at East Creek.
George Sutliff, after spending the summer in Manheim, has returned to G. B. Leavitt’s.
Mrs. Patrick Sullivan and daughter, Teresa, visited relatives in Salisbury one day last week.
Mr. Charles Palmer and family are about to take up their residence on the Harvey Youker farm.
Mr. and Mrs. William Stahl, Jr., were the guests of Mr. and Mrs. Warren Stahl, one day last week.
Mrs. J. H. Cline and Mrs. Roland Cline was the guest of the latter’s parents, Mr. and Mrs. Warren Stahl, Sunday.
Miss Laura A. Stahl and friends, Mr. and Mrs. George Whittenbeck, and Mr. Willard Snell were the guests of the former’s parents, Mr. and Mrs. Warren Stahl, Sunday.



ROCKWOOD News, 1903.

Dr. Nelson Everest is ill with the grip.
Mr. Chas. Stahl has added a meat market to his general store and is erecting a large refrigerator.
Mrs. L. J. Smith has been quite ill for the past week with palpitation of the heart, at times it was feared she would not survive but at present she is a very little better.
Mr. And Mrs. Clarence P. Willard of Gloversville were at L. J. Smith’s Wednesday.
Solomon Jennings and family are removing to Salt Springville.
Clark Duesler of Johnstown has been spending a few days in town calling on old acquaintances.
Walter C. Smith has returned to Gloversville after spending the past week at his home here, being called here by the severe illness of his mother, Mrs. L. J. Smith.
Dewitt Everest is spending a few days in Gloversville.
Lorenzo Bradt of Johnstown is in town for a few days.
Mrs. Chas. Brand representing Wm. B. Crouse of Utica called on our merchants Wednesday last.
Harry Long has accepted of a position with C. E. Stahl.



Married in Cohoes, no date.
George W. Plantz and Carrie Weaver

George W. Plantz of Amsterdam and Miss Carrie Weaver of Johnstown were married at noon Monday, in the parsonage of the First Methodist church, Cohoes, by Rev. Thomas G. Thompson, D. D. The full ring service was used. The young couple have many friends who will wish them much joy on the happy occasion. They are wide and favorably known in the two cities from which they come. Their future home will be in the city of Amsterdam, where the groom has a responsible position.



NORTH BUSH News, no date.

William Carew and his wife called on friends in this place Sunday.
There was a donation held at the North Bush church last Friday. A fine time was enjoyed by a large crowd.
A box party was held at John Cosselman’s last Thursday night. A numb er of young people attended and had a good time.
Mrs. Clara Cosselman has taken David Peary’s little five year old daughter to care for as the child’s father is in a poor state of health.
Alfred Seeley’s little boy, aged 10 years, cut three of his toes from is foot with an axe last Saturday. The foot was dressed and the little fellow is doing well.
Mary Anne Francisco, wife of W. J. Bradt, died January 22, aged 68 years. She was born at Glen, and was the daughter of John Francisco and Catherine Vedder. The burial was at Rockwood, January 24th. She is survived by her husband, Walter J. Bradt, and a son, Gilbert Bradt, of North Bush.



EPHRATAH News, no date.

Mrs. J. H. Yauney returned home Wednesday.
Mr. Lester Getman spent Sunday at Gloversville.
Mr. And Mrs. W. C. Beebe were at Gloversville Saturday on business.
Mr. Lake, of Mohawk, spent a few days as the guest of Mr. Clark Snell.
The Odd Fellows will dedicate their new hall February 8. All are cordially invited.
Mr. William Lewis is sawing wood for people in his village with a gasoline engine.
Mrs. Levi Yauney and niece, Miss Olive Dutton, started Monday for Riverside Cal., where they intend spending the winter.
Mr. Albert Bromley, of Esperance, was the guest of the Rev. C. T. Lewis. Mrs. Reuben Saltsman and daughter Grace, were guests of Mr. And Mrs. Emmet Snell, Saturday. 



GAROGA News, no date.

Mr. And Mrs. Charles Christman who have been absent a week, returned home Monday.
Delevan Clemons fell on the ice in front of his home last week, dislocating his right thumb.
James Dorn and son Nelson of St. Johnsville, former residents of Garoga, were in the place last Saturday.
Fred McCord, who is traveling in the interest of A. Ethridge & Co., of Rome, was in this place Monday.
Miss Cora Empie arrived here on the stage from Johnstown last Saturday, and was so overcome with the cold as to be almost helpless.
Miss Eula Durfee and Mr. Ferrell, of Gloversville, were guests of Mr. And Mrs. Harris on Sunday last. Miss Durfee also called on other friends in the place.
The taxpayers of this vicinity will have a chance to pay their taxes at Hotel Ercanbrack on Thursday next, where Albert Miles, town collector, will be ready to receive them.

Last Monday afternoon Lyman H. Everest, Jr., the five-year-old son of L. H. Everest had a narrow escape from drowning. While attempting to walk across the creek, the surface of which apepared (sic) to be a solid sheet of ice, he suddenly broke through. The current was swift and deep but the lad grasped the edge of the ice while his cries reached the ears of William, his thirteen-year-old brother, who with two companions, was skating farther up the creek. The boys hastened to the rescue while they shouted to the little fellow to hold fast which he was making an effort to do, while the ice to which he clung would give way and he kept grasping a new hold. It was with great effort that the boys succeeded in pulling him out as his limbs were drawn under the ice. Had he lost his hold, nothing could have saved him as there was no opening for a long distance down the creek where the current would have taken him.



GARGOA News, no date.

Our school, which was closed last week on account of the illness of Miss Dorn, the teacher, reopened last Monday.

Charles Christman has purchased a number of fox skins which he will dispose of sometime in the future, but will probably first add to his present stock.

Mortimer Everest made a flying visit to this place last Thursday. We don’t mean this to be taken in a literal sense, as he used neither flying machine nor wings as a means of locomotion, thought of the wings we don’t say that Mortimer isn’t as deserving as any one we know, for he is an all-around good fellow. We simply mean that he didn’t stay long, but thing “flying visit” sounds more “high flown,” don’t you know, and we must be “high flown” if we ever expect to rise in this world. Of course, we might swallow a yeast cake or something of the sort, but the “rise” wouldn’t be as lasting and glorious as that attained in the writing of Garoga notes. For the present the above three items comprise “what we know about Garoga,” but when we feel that we have reached an altitude corresponding to our aspirations we will find some one who knows more about it and cheerfully surrender the correspondent’s pen - figuratively, again - for it is nothing but a stub of a lead pencil and all we have. We are looking for a better one on or about Christmas, but if Garoga is not heard from after that time, the Republican will know that it is neither for the want of a lead pencil or because we have sufficiently “riz.”



Anthony Bradt, Death Notice, no date.

Anthony Bradt, aged ninety-four years, was found dead in bed at the home of his son, George, in Rockwood yesterday morning. Mr. Bradt retired as usual Wednesday evening, but failed to appear for breakfast yesterday morning. He seemed to be in his usual good health upon retiring and the cause of death as stated by the physician was heart trouble and old age. It was also his opinion that the death had come about midnight. The deceased was born, and had always resided in Rockwood, where he was well known by all and also enjoyed the friendship of the entire surrounding rural community. He is survived by four sons, George, Lorenzo and Chauncey of Rockwood and Alonzo of this city, and also one daughter, Mrs. Nettie Hine, also of Johnstown.

The funeral will be held Saturday afternoon at 2 o’clock. Rev. H. B. Silvernail of Rockwood and Ephratah will conduct the service and interment will be made in the Rockwood cemetery.



Mrs. May Duesler, Death Notice, no date.

On Friday morning about 3 a.m. occurred the death of May, beloved wife of Isaiah Duesler, aged 42 years, after an illness of more then seven months. Death was caused from heart difficulty and dropsy. She leaves a husband and four brothers to mourn the loss of a loving wife and sister, besides a host of friends who held her in high regard. Mrs. Duesler was a member of Maple Leaf Rebekah lodge, No. 265, I. O. O. F., of this village and was one of the leading members, always ready to do anything for the good of the order. Her funeral was conducted by the members of the order. The members of Ephratah lodge, No. 836 I. O. O. F., turned out and attended her funeral which was held from the Reformed church on Tuesday at 11 a.m., Rev. W. H. Crawford officiated at her request. He chose for his text the 14th chapter of John; 18 and 19th verses, which Mrs. Duesler had chosen for her sermon to be preached from. Exactly four years ago Tuesday the Rebekah order was instituted in this village, Mrs. Duesler was one of the charter members and all will miss her at their meetings. Her four brothers acted as the pall bearers, also at her request and the choir rendered selection that she had chosen. The remains were laid to rest in the family plot in the Rural cemetery.



Taken to State Hospital.

Frank Polmateer of Rockwood, who became violently insane on Thursday, was brought to the county jail last evening and was taken to the Utica state hospital to-day. Thursday night Polmateer caused his attendants much trouble and it required several men to keep him from doing bodily harm. Yesterday he was examined by a commission of lunacy and brought to the jail by Superintendent of the Poor George W. Hillman.



Operation at the Hospital.

Yesterday afternoon at the Nathan Littauer hospital, Dr. R. L. Ellithorp, with the assistance of Drs. W. C. McCulloch and John J. Beard, performed a serious operation on Mrs. Harry Noake of Broad street. The patient rallied splendidly from the effects of the operation and last evening advices fr om the hospital were to the effect that she was resting quietly.



Mrs. Ida E. Dye.

Intelligence was received in this city yesterday of the death of Mrs. Ida E. Dye at the home of a relative at Council Bluffs, Iowa, at noon yesterday. The deceased left this city in October last to make an extended trip through the western states. She intended to go to Oregon and to spend the winter in California. Only two days ago she was attacked with pneumonia, which caused her death.
The deceased, who was 52 years of age, was a daughter of George H. And Hannah Staley of Rockwood, where she resided until two years ago, when she took up her residence in this city with her brother, Jacob W. Staley. She was well known and highly respected throughout the community. She is survived by her brother, Jacob W. Staley of Sammonsville.

The remains are expected to arrive here on Thursday, when the funeral arrangements will be announced.



Miss Carrie Weaver of This City Wedded to G. W. Plantz of Amsterdam.

Mr. George W. Plantz of Amsterdam and Miss Carrie Weaver of Johnstown were married at noon January 1st in the parsonage of the First Methodist church, Cohoes, by Rev. Dr. Thomas G. Thompson. The full ring service was used. This young couple have many friends who will wish them much joy on the happy occasion. They are widely and favorably known in the two cities from which they come. Their future home will be in the city of Amsterdam, where the groom has a responsible position.

[Note:  This is almost identical to the item above but they are two different articles.]



Rockwood News, no date.

Mr. and Mrs. C. A. Lowrey spent Sunday with the latter’s father, E. Hall.
Quite a few attended the donation at Frank Thompson’s in North Bush Friday evening. All report a good time.
S. Jennings and daughter, Alma, and son, Calvin, spent Sunday at Lassellsville.
Frank Dempsey of Gloversville is spending some time with his sister.
Mr. and Mrs. Ed. Drake have moved in the Menzo Smith house.
Mr. and Mrs. Joe Manville have moved in the P. W. Peck house.
Mr. and Mrs. John Sherman and daughter, Catherine of Gloversville, were the guests of Dr. Brookins and family Sunday.
Frank Kennicutt and daughter, Bertha, of Gloversville visited friends at this village Sunday.
The people around here are busy packing ice.
Lewis Smith and family have moved to Gloversville.



Hamilton County Man Came to Life After Laying at Bottom of a Lake.  No date.

Particulars have just been received in this city of a drowning accident that occurred at Lake Gilman, in the town of Lake Pleasant, Hamilton county, last Friday. According to the information, Orren Dunning and Zach Bisnet, were crossing Lake Gilman in a boat when something happened to upset it, throwing both men into the water. Dunning managed to swim to the shore, but Bisnet was so thoroughly chilled by the icy temperature of the water that after swimming a short distance he became numbed and sank. Dunning was unable to reach him or render assistance owing to his exhausted condition when he reached the shore.

As soon as possible he procured assistance and with others went out in a boat and searched for Bisnet’s body. After half and hour’s work they found it and brought it to the surface. They supposed that the man was dead, but after getting the body in the boat found signs of life and immediately made efforts to restore consciousness. A telephone message summoned Dr. McGann from Wells, and he arrived at Lake Gilman in time to render good service. He got the water out of Bisnet and the supposed drowned man regained consciousness. He remained conscious during the day and hopes of his recovery were entertained, but in the evening he relapsed, and death resulted form the shock and chill of his experience at the bottom of the lake.

Lake Gilman is situated about fifteen miles north of Wells and several miles east of Lake Pleasant. Both men resided in the vicinity of Wells.



Rev. Mr. Milett’s Success.  No date.

Rev. William J. Millett formerly of this city, has been very successful since he became pastor of the Baptists church at Rockwood. On Saturday afternoon last the Rev. C. H. Merrill of this city preached at the Rockwood church and at the close of the service administered the rite of batism [sic] to nine candidates. There were several others who expected to be batized [sic] but were prevented by sickness. They are all the results of Mr. Millett's work in the community.



The Chattertons Admitted Guilt and Produced Many Articles.  No date.

The wholesale shoplifting of the Chattertons, of Rockwood, which was detailed in Saturday’s Republican, was brought to a close by a settlement of the matter. When they left the Grand opera house at about six o’clock where they had been witnessing the matinee, they were greeted by Chief Morgan who took them into custody and informed them of the charges against them. They promptly admitted their guilt and desired to settle at once, which was agreed on by the merchants who had been “touched.” Mr. Buddle was paid $15 and Mr. Gilmour received $25.

As soon as they were detected they lost no time in giving up their plunder from concealed pockets in shirt waists and skirts produced everything from a hairpin to a roll of cloth. How they gathered in the unwieldy articles which they had in their possession is a mystery. Some of the articles were not identified by the local merchants and included six pairs of shoes, handkerchiefs, combs, stockings, pins, laces, a patent flatiron, spoons and a cloak. If anybody has missed any of the above articles Chief Morgan will assist them in recovering them.



Storm of Last Forty-Eight Hours of Unusual Severity and Traffic Is Greatly Impeded.

One of the most severe storms of recent years visited this section yesterday and last night. It is estimated that from twelve to fifteen inches of snow fell during the past forty-eight hours. The storm rivals the great blizzard of ‘88. In some sections of the city where the snow has not been cleared from the road, it is piled so high along the side walks that pedestrians on one side of the street are invisible to those on the other.

Everybody is talking about great snowstorms of the past and making comparisons. The shovel brigade has had the busiest time of the winter. Indeed, it is impossible to handle — snow so fast as it falls and horses and people are forced to wade through great piles, suffering inconvenience and hardship.

Owing to a scarcity of labor, — street superintendent is handicapped in removing snow from the streets in the business section. It is understood the railroad company is experiencing the same difficulty. The drifts are high and extensive in North P------ street that most of the cars on the -----line yesterday were unable to pull their regular route via North ----- street and used the main line.

The snow which fell through th------ was mostly of the large flake va---- and clung to the trees and other objects, creating winter scenes that are indeed both striking and beautiful.  Many with an artistic sense were out with their kodaks making snap-shots of these pleasing pictures of winter.


Return to Fulton County NYGenWeb


Copyright © 2005, MaryAnn Kassan, Jeanette Shiel
All Rights Reserved.

Last updated Tuesday, 13-May-2008 13:08:01 PDT