Mae Rossiter Scrapbook
Rockwood, N. Y. 1903




Articles posted are in order as they appear in the original book.  For the index, click here.
Many thanks to MaryAnn Kassan for volunteering to type these pages.




One of the most pleasant social events of the season at Rockwood occurred at the home of William Ropeter, being the marriage of Miss Lillian Ropeter to Mr. Menzo Sweet. While Miss Hattie Keck played the wedding march, the bridge and groom, escorted by the bridesmaids, the Misses Lula Sweet and Alwilda Ropeter, stepped beneath the marriage bell in the southwest corner of the parlor, where Rev. O. J. Houghton, of Lassellsville, in a brief and impressive manner performed the ceremony and introduced Mr. and Mrs. Sweet to their many friends and relatives for congratulations. After the congratulations were extended a sumptuous repast awaited all in the dining room where about thirty-five or forty guests with social good cheer enjoyed the feast while outside a serenade of discordant local talent beguiled the small hours of the night. The guests were Mr. and Mrs. O. B. Snell, Alfred Dorn, Ida M. Sweet, Mr. and Mrs. John Weaver, Mr. and Mrs. Chauncey Waver, Mr. and Mrs. John Ropeter, Mrs. Julia Cole, Henry Ropeter, Mr. and Mrs. John Keck, Mr. and Mrs. A. Snell, Ida M. Duesler, Mrs. Ida Polmatier. The bride was the recipient of many useful and valuable presents.


(April 8, 1906)

Miss Versylla Young

Miss Versylla Young, daughter of Mr. and Mrs. Everett Young of Rockwood, died at the home of her cousin, Dewitt Young, No. 305 North Market street, at 9:30 o'clock last evening.

Miss Young was attacked with typhoid fever on Saturday evening last and was very sick from the first. Several physicians were called in consultation over her case and everything possible was done to relieve her, but she failed rapidly and passed away at the hour stated.

The deceased who was 17 years of age, was born at Rockwood. She came to this city two years ago to enter the High school and was one of the brightest students registered. Her happy disposition made her a general favorite with her teachers and schoolmates and during her illness their inquiries concerning her condition were constant. In the home circle she was very lovable, a joy both to her parents and brother and sister [sic], and they will have the sympathy of their friends over her sad and early death. She was an attendant of St. Mark's church a member of Mrs. Wade's class in the Bible class.

She is survived by her parents, one brother and three sisters, all of Rockwood.

The funeral announcement will be later.



A very pretty wedding took place at 8 o'clock last evening at the home of the Hon. Adam Fond, in Fonda, where his daughter, Gertrude, became the wife of Eli Smith of this city. The couple was unattended. The bride was very becomingly dressed in white Persian lawn and carried a bouquet of roses. The house was beautifully decorated with palms and evergreens and beautiful bouquets of cut flowers were stationed about the room. The couple was married under a bower of white and green and the ceremony, which was performed by Rev. M. Deloss Jump, was witnessed only be immediate friends and relatives, numbering about twenty-five. After congratulations had been extended, those present repaired to the dining room, where a most elaborate wedding supper was served. After 9:30 o'clock, the bridge having arrayed herself in a traveling suit of blue and a hat of the same hue, Mr. and Mrs. Smith left Fonda for their honeymoon. Upon their return they will take up their residence at 25 Whitmore avenue.


Dwelling House Destroyed Yesterday Morning - Neighboring Property Seriously Threatened.

Fire broke out in Rockwood yesterday afternoon and at one time it was feared that the entire village would be destroyed.

Mr. Johnson and family, who reside directly opposite the Stahl saw mill, left their home in the morning to spend the day with friends. About 3 o'clock their house was discovered to be on fire and the high wind that was blowing at the time spread the flames so rapidly that the entire structure was soon consumed. The only articles of furniture that were saved were a piano and a sewing machine. Mr. Johnson carried $400 of insurance, but no estimate of the loss is given.

The high wind carried the sparks and burning shingles onto the roof of he saw mill and set it afire several times, and by the same means fire was started on the roofs of a number of houses. The villagers formed themselves into a bucket brigade and succeeded in saving all he buildings except Mr. Johnson's house. Owing to the fact that the telephone lines were out of order no details other than the above could be learned last evening.



Our school was reopened with Miss Abbie Dorn again in charge.

Elmer Ropeter has gone to Stone Arabia, where he is employed on the farm of Benjamin Staley.

E. S. Trumbull's paper mill, which has been idle for the past three moths, is again in operation.

Miss Amy Everest, of the Gloversville Business School, has been spending a few days with her parents.

There roads being nearly impassible, there were no church services here last Sunday. Also the Johnstown stage has not made its usual trip in two or three days.

Philip Plank, who lives about a mile east of this place, met with a peculiar accident a few days since, while at the home of Charles Miller, of Keck's Center. As he passed near a vicious horse belonging to the latter, the animal seized him by the shoulder inflicting a painful wound. Mr. Plank was taken to Rockwood, where he is receiving medical treatment.

The death of Mrs. L. J. Smith, of Rockwood, brought sorrow to many residents of Garoga with whom she was wont to mingle, most especially on occasions of church benefits, where she was ever ready to lend her aid, as also in her own village, where she was foremost in the work of her church, endeavoring, in her gentle manner, to lead others to the feet of the Master. Not only in her home and the church will she be missed, but in a wide circle of friends her death has left a vacancy that can not be easily filled. But as

"Pebbles, cast into the water,
Disappear beneath the waves,
While a thousand dancing ripples
Bubble from their new-made grave,
Leading up a war-like circle,
Curl the waters o'er and o'er,
Moving onward, till the ripples
Fade upon the distant shore,"

so with life's record; and though the form of one we loved is buried form our view, the sweet influences of her beautiful life are still with us, and we can but feel that we are the better for having known her.


(June 18, 1898)

Mrs. Levi Stahl

The intelligence was received in this city this morning of the death of Gertrude E., wife of Levi Stahl, the well-known Rockwood lumberman, which occurred at her home in that village late last evening. The deceased had been in declining health for a number of months past and in consequence her death was not unexpected by those who were aware of her illness. Mrs. Stahl's maiden name was Gertrude E. Burnham, she being an adopted daughter of the late Harlow E. Burnham, a former resident of Herkimer county and later of Niagara county. Possessing many of those qualities which endeared her to all with whom she came in contact, the deceased was a woman who commanded not only the universal respect and esteem of her neighbors and friends, but the love of those who were privileged with a closer relationship with her. She was a devout member of the Baptist church and although her family duties prevented her from taking a more active part in the society and its auxiliaries, she was nevertheless, deeply interested in its welfare and gave liberally to its support. In her last days she manifested unswerving faith in her Saviour, and looked forward to the great change with confidence and hope. Mrs. Stahl was fifty-five years of age.

Mrs. Stahl's death removes one who will be greatly missed in the community where she had so long resided and the news of her demise will bring sorrow and regret to many throughout Fulton county, as well as in her hometown.

Besides her husband, she is survived by three sons, Charles, Whitney J., and Edwin E., all of whom reside in Rockwood. Funeral services will be held from her late home at Rockwood, Tuesday, June 21, at 11 o'clock a. m. Rev. C. H. Merrill of this city officiating.


(wedding announcement)

Mr. and Mrs. Jacob W. Staley of Sammonsville have issued invitations for the wedding of their daughter, Miss Camilla, and Mr. Archibald Burton Briggs, who resides just west of the city, which will occur at their home on the evening of Wednesday, Decembe[r] 5, at 8 o'clock.



A quiet yet very pretty wedding took place last evening at 8 o'clock at the home of Mr. and Mrs. George Baker, corner of Glebe and Montgomery streets, where Mrs. Baker's sister, Miss Edith Frances Merrill, and Thomas Lewis Way were married. The wedding ceremony was solemnized by the bride's father, Rev. C. H. Merrill of Plattsburgh, assisted by Rev. Charles McKenzie, pastor of the First Presbyterian church of this city.

There were twenty-five guests present and after the happy congratulations and best wishes of their friends had been bestowed, a three course dinner was served under the direction of Caterer Wright.

Later Mr. and Mrs. Way left on a ten days' trip, and on their return to Johnstown they will take up their residence with the groom's mother, Mrs. J. L. Way on North Perry street until March 1, when they will reside in Rome.

The bride, although a resident of Plattsburgh for the past few years, spent most of her life in Johnstown, where she is esteemed by a large circle of friends., She is the daughter of Rev. and Mrs. C. H. Merrill, her father having been the pastor of the local Baptists church for many years but now in charge of the church of that denomination at Plattsburgh.

Mr. Way is the son of the late John L. Way and one of Johnstown's promising young men. He is a graduate of the Rensselaer Polytechnic institute of Troy, and the Johnstown High school and a host of friends will join in extending their best wishes for their conjugal happiness.

Among those present from out of the city were Mrs. Nellie Locklin, Albert Locklin, Miss Bertha Locklin, Gloversville; Dr. Samuel Merrill of Watertown; Mr. and Mrs. Walter Way, Mr. and Mrs. Edward Way of Albany; Rev. and Mrs. C. H. Merrill of Plattsburgh.


(June 1908)

A Large Concourse of Friends, Relatives and Acquaintances at St. Paul's Church This Afternoon - A Profusion of Choice Flowers.

The funeral of Julius Fisher was held this afternoon from the family residence on North Perry street, at 3 o'clock, Rev. L S. Black officiating, the short service being attended only the relatives and a few immediate friends. The public service was held at St. Paul's church at 3:30 o'clock, when Rev. Mr. Black delivered a most eloquent and fitting sermon. There was an extremely large attendance of friends and acquaintances, besides representatives of several organizations of which the deceased was a member, and the barbers of this city, who attended in a body. The flowers were of a profuse and choice order, several handsome pieces having been presented, and included a "broken column," "gates ajar," anchor, etc. The music was furnished by St. Paul's choir and was in strict accord with the other solemnly impressive part, of the service.

The pall bearers were Messrs. John Potter, Jason Smith, Martin Ward, Jr., William Maylender, Daniel W. Mason and Chas W. Rowles. The remains were interred in Johnstown cemetery.


[No title]

On Saturday occurred the funeral of Peter M. Smith, aged 11 months. Rev. W. H. Crawford officiated. Interment in the Rural Cemetery.

On Friday morning the sad news of the death of Mary, wife of Isaiah Duesler, aged 42 years, was conveyed to our village, after an illness of several months of heart trouble and dropsy. She has been a great sufferer, and bore up with her trouble and dropsy. She has been a great sufferer and bore up her troubles with scarcely a murmur. She leaves a husband and four brothers to mourn her loss. The brothers are Lyman, Dudley and Jerry, of Lassellsville, and Lewis, of Syracuse. Also a large circle of relatives and friends to mourn the loss of a kind and devoted wife, sister and friend, for all whom she had a kind word. Mrs. Duesler was a member of Maple Leaf Rebekah Lodge 265. The order have charge of the funeral and she will be buried in the rites of the Rebekah. The members of Ephratah Lodge, No. 836, I. O. O. F., have been requested to attend the body. The four brothers will act as her pall bearers. Rev. W. H. Crawford will officiate. The funeral will be held in the Reform church on Tuesday at 11 o'clock, interment in the Rural cemetery.



Flames from a Yard Bonfire Caught her Clothing

Mrs. Russell Stevenson, a well-known young woman of Schenectady, was fatally burned yesterday afternoon at 3 o'clock while standing near a bonfire which she had lighted in the yard in the rear of her home, No.3 Waldorf Place, and died at 8:30 o'clock last night at the home of her father-in-law, Charles D. Stevenson, in South Center street, where she was taken shortly after the accident occurred. Yesterday afternoon she went to the yard in the rear of her home, and raking up a pile of leaves and other rubbish which had collected, started to burn it. After lighting the pile she turned her back to it for a moment and a blast of wind drove the flames against her skirts. In a few seconds she was a mass of flames. Throwing herself on the ground she attempted to put them out, but without avail. There was hardly a spot on her body which was not touched by the flames, and she was in great agony. A call was at once sent to the hospital and Mrs. Stevenson was taken there in the ambulance, but from the first it was evident that there was no hope for recovery. As soon as the burns were dressed Mrs. Stevenson was taken to the home of her father-in-law, Charles D. Stevenson. The doctors were in continual attendance, but she died at 8:30 o'clock after suffering terrible pain. Mrs. Stevenson was Miss Jennie Potter, the daughter of Mr. and Mrs. Thomas Potter of Paige street.



She Passed Away Recently in Glovesville After a Long Illness

Gloversville, Sept. 29. - The death of Miss Lizzie A. Mapes occurred last Saturday morning at her home, 47 South Boulevard, after a long illness, aged 23. The deceased is survived by her parents, John L. And Emma J. Mapes, and two sisters, Mrs. F. G. Ellithorp and Mrs. G. Pierce, of this city. She was a member of the Baptist Church of Johnstown and her early death will be mourned by a large circle of friends.

The funeral services were held from the home of her parents Monday afternoon at 2 o'clock, Rev. C. F. Ralston, pastor of the Baptist Church, officiating. The services were largely attended and upon the casket rested a number of beautiful floral tributes from the family, shopmates and friends. The remains were laid at rest in Prospect Hill Cemetery.



Residence of E. Johnson, Together With Contents, Was Consumed.

Fire broke out in the home of E. Johnson, opposite the Stahl saw mill, in Rockwood, yesterday afternoon during the absence of the Johnson family, and at one time the indications were that the flame would spread and consume considerable property. The entire structure was soon consumed, the only articles of furniture that were saved being a sewing machine and a piano. Mr. Johnson carried an insurance of $400 which will not cover his loss. The high wind made the fire a stubborn one and several times the saw mill caught fire, but the villages formed themselves into a bucket brigade and succeeded in saving all the property except the Johnson house.



William Stahl, an aged and respected citizen of Oppenheim passed away at his late home which he made with his son, Warren Stahl, on July 16, at about 1 a.m., in the 84th year of his age. He was the son of Peter and Eliza Stahl, and was born in Salisbury, August 2, 1822. He as united in marriage to Angeline Lan- who passed on before him six years ago. Of their children six survive, William Stahl of East Creek, Warren, Fred and Mrs. O. M. Barnes of Oppenheim. [These are the only children listed.] He is also survived by one brother, Samuel Stahl, veteran of the civil war. "Father Stahl had spent most of his life in this vicinity. The funeral services were conducted from the late home on Wednesday, July 18, at 1 p.m., Rev. O. J. Houghton of Oppenheim, officiated and spoke from the text, "Neither can they die any more," Luke 20:36. The choir of the Oppenheim church sang hymns for the occasion, Mrs. J. Swartout presiding at the organ. A devoted father, neighbor and friend betakened [sic] the high esteem and love has left us. The large congregation in which Mr. Stahl was held. Interment was made in the beautiful cemetery at Inghams Mills.



Took Place at Sammonsville on Wednesday Evening

Miss Camina, daughter of Mr. and Mrs. Jacob W. Staley of Sammonsville, and Mr. Archibald B. Briggs of Johnstown, were married at the home of the bride Wednesday evening, Rev. C. W. Leitzell officiating. The bride was gowned in white nun's veiling, trimmed with lace applique. Immediately after the ceremony congratulations were extended and a wedding supper served. Many beautiful presents were received by the bridge, who is a young lady highly esteemed by all her friends and acquaintances.



The funeral of the late Mrs. Ephraim Hall of Rockwood, was held at the Methodist church of that village yesterday afternoon at 2 o'clock. The Rev. C. L. Brown officiated and sons-in-law acted as pall bearers. The interment was made in the Rockwood cemetery.


OBITUARY - [almost a duplicate of one above]
(April 18, 1906)

Miss Versylla Young.

The death of Miss Versylla Young, daughter of Mr. and Mrs. Everett Young of Rockwood, occurred at the home of her cousin, Dewitt Young, No. 305 North Market street, at 9:30 o'clock last evening.

Miss Young was attacked with typhoid fever last Saturday evening and was very ill from the first. Several physicians were called in consultation over her case and everything possible was done to relieve her, but she failed rapidly and passed away at the hour stated.

The deceased who was 17 years of age, was born at Rockwood. She came to this city two years ago to enter the High school and was one of the brightest students registered. In the home circle she was very lovable, a joy both to her parents and brother and sisters, and they have the sympathy of their friends over her sad and untimely death. She was an attendant of St. Mark's church a member of Mrs. Wade's class in the Bible class.

She is survived by her parents, one brother and three sisters, all of Rockwood.

She was a young lady possessed of a very amiable disposition and her many kindly acts for those with who she associated won the admiration of her teachers and schoolmates.



Henry Johnson

Henry Johnson, a well known farmer residing about four miles west of this city, died at his home about 12:30 o'clock this morning. The deceased was 67 years of age. Mr. Johnson had been ill several years. About five years ago he suffered a stroke of paralysis which was followed by two other strokes which left him in a helpless condition and he has gradually failed until the end came. He was a member of the Rockwood Baptist church and had many friends in this city as well as in the farming community adjacent to the city. His widow, one son, John H. Johnson of Sammonsville; one daughter, Vietta Johnson, residing west of the city, and one brother, William Johnson, residing in the town of Johnstown, survive him. The funeral service will be held Saturday at 11 o'clock, Rev. C. H. Merrill of this city will officiate and the interment will be made at Rockwood.



Mrs. L. J. Smith

Mrs. Sarah H. Smith, wife of L. J. Smith, passed away at her home in Rockwood at 4 o'clock this morning, in the 44th year of her age. She had been ill for the past three months with heart trouble, which was the cause of death.

The deceased was born in Utica and removed with her parents, Mr. and Mrs. Walter Cline, to Rockwood, when she was four years old, residing there ever since. She had been an active member of the Methodist church and its auxiliary societies for many years and had been the organist of the church for the past twenty years. She was a woman of many commendable qualities and her death is mourned by a large circle of friends.

She is survived by her husband, one son, Walter, of Rockwood; her father, Walter Cline, of Lyons, and two half-sisters, Mrs. William English, of Rochester, and Mrs. Dana Snyder of Ithaca.

The funeral will be held at the house Friday afternoon at 1 o'clock, Rev. Mr. Crawford officiating. The interment will be made in the Rockwood cemetery.



Mrs. Jane Dorn

The death of Mrs. Jane Dorn, occurred at the home of her daughter, Mrs. Oscar Erkenbrack of Garoga, Saturday evening about 9 o'clock. The deceased was 87 years of age and had many friends who will be grieved to learn of her death. About two years ago Mrs. Dorn sustained a stroke of paralysis from which she had not recovered when about two weeks ago a second stroke was suffered, from the effects of which caused a rapid decline.

The deceased was born in the vicinity of Garoga and lived there all her life. For the past nineteen years she had resided with her daughter. She had been a member of the Baptist church of Rockwood since early childhood and was a woman of eminent piety besides many traits of character that endeared her to a large circle of friends.

She is survived by one daughter, Mrs. Oscar Erckenbrack, and a granddaughter, Mrs. Charles Bronk of Garoga; two brothers Abram Lowery of Rockwood and Jackson Lowerey of Gloversville.

The funeral will be held at the house tomorrow afternoon at 2 o'clock the Rev. William Millett of Rockwood officiating. Interment in the Rockwood cemetery.

Return to Fulton County NYGenWeb


Copyright 2005, MaryAnn Kassan, Lisa Slaski, Jeanette Shiel
All Rights Reserved.

Last updated Tuesday, 13-May-2008 13:08:00 PDT