"A HISTORY OF FULTON COUNTY IN THE REVOLUTION"
By James F. Morrison
THE FIRST SHOT FIRED IN TYRON COUNTY
On June 25, 1775, John Fonda was working in one of his fields, when Thomas Hunt, a servant of High Sheriff Alexander White was attempting to cross Fonda's land when Fonda saw him and ordered Hunt off his land and to use the path near the fence. Hunt refused to use the path and an argument arose.
Hunt was carrying a brush scythe upon his shoulder and Fonda who had been hoeing peas had a hoe. Fonda on seeing Hunt raise his scythe to strike him with it, knocked him down with the hoe. Hunt on regaining to his feet swore vengeance and that he would tell Sheriff White of this attack. Fonda was later arrested by Sheriff White and put in the Johnstown Jail.
On Thursday July 20th, Sampson Sammons with about 100 Patriot friends of John Fonda marched to the Johnstown Jail and released Fonda. The Patriots then went to the home of one Pickens where Sheriff White was staying to take him prisoner. On reaching the house Sheriff White saw them and fired upon them.
The angry Patriots returned the fire and stormed the house. Now they could hear the cannon at Johnson's Hall fire in alarm and they knew that in minutes about 400 armed Scotch Retainers would be upon them. They made a hasty search of the house which, proved fruitless for they could not find the troublesome Sheriff White.
The Sheriff now took refuge at Johnson's Hall with Sir John Johnson and his Scotch Retainers to protect him. Johnson also had the Hall fortified to prevent the Patriots from attacking the Hall.
John Frey (who later became Sheriff of Tryon County) and Anthony VanVeghten were sent by the Tryon County Committee of Safety to Johnson's Hall to ask Johnson to surrender White to the Committee of Safety. Sir John stated that as long as Sheriff White remained at Johnson's Hall he would receive protection.
The Tryon County Committee of Safety, however, was determined to take White prisoner and on July 22nd, they sent a letter to the Albany Committee of Correspondence for cannons and the necessary implements with them for the purpose of taking Johnson's Hall. However, they never received the needed cannons.
In the spring of 1776, Frederick Sammons with several others under Captain John James Davis were ordered to Johnstown to arrest suspected Loyalists. On this occasion they captured Sheriff White and put him in the Johnstown Jail.
White was now in the jail that was once under his care. White was later released but he was imprisoned twice afterwards but he finally reached the safety of Canada.
GENERAL PHILIP SCHUYLER AT JOHNSTOWN
In December of 1775, there were rumors that Sir John Johnson was gathering large quantities of muskets and ammunition and that he was fortifying his house as well as arming his tenants. On December 30th, General Philip Schuyler was ordered by the Continental Congress to disarm Johnson and his tenants.
On January 15th, General Schuyler with about 1,000 men marched from Albany to Schenectady. On January 16th, Schuyler held a conference with a party of Indians under the Mohawk Chief Abraham. The Indians were concerned with the safety of Johnson and Schuyler assured them they did not intend to harm Johnson.
Later that day Schuyler held a conference with Johnson and a few of his tenants about sixteen miles from Schenectady. Schuyler and Johnson were unable to come to terms and Schuyler gave Johnson until midnight, January 18th to decide.
General Schuyler marched to Caughnawaga where he encamped on January 17th. At Caughnawaga, Schuyler was joined by Brigadier General Nicholas Herkimer and about 900 men from the Tryon County Militia. The militia paraded on the frozen ice over the Mohawk River before General Schuyler and his staff on the 17th and 18th.
On January 18th, at midnight, Schuyler received Johnson's answer and in the morning of the 19th, Schuyler with his army marched to Johnstown to collect Johnson's military stores.
Johnson turned over to Schuyler all his military stores and to Schuyler's surprise the quantity was smaller than expected. On the 20th, about 300 of Johnson's Scotch Retainers surrendered their military arms and Johnson and Allan McDonall signed the terms of parole. Schuyler returned to Caughnawaga and a few days later he returned to Albany.
JOHNSON LEAVES JOHNSTOWN
On May 14, 1776, General Philip Schuyler ordered Colonel Elias Dayton and his New Jersey Regiment (the Third New Jersey) amounting to 300 men to march to Johnstown and arrest Sir John Johnson for breaking his parole.
On May 19th, Colonel Dayton with his regiment arrived at Johnstown and to his disappointment learned that Johnson had learned of his approach and had fled to Canada.
Johnson on learning of Colonel Dayton's approach with William Cameron, John Coon, Duncan McArthur, Angus McKay, Murdoch McLean, Alexander McPherson, David Peacocks, John Quin, William Russell, John Urgart, Anthony Walliser and 160 other tenants left for Canada by the way of the Sacondaga River. After nineteen days of severe hardships, and greatly depending on wild onion roots and beech tree leaves to eat, they arrived in Canada.
Colonel Dayton requested the keys to Johnson's Hall and Mrs. Johnson promptly handed the keys over to Dayton. Dayton and his men started their search for valuable papers but before Johnson had left he buried all of his valuable papers with his silver hear the Hall. On not finding any papers, Dayton sent Mrs. Johnson to Albany and posted a guard at Johnson's Hall.
While Colonel Dayton and his men were stationed at Johnstown several of his officers plundered Johnson's Hall and a few of them tomahawked the stairway railing to the second floor of the Hall as well as hitting it with their musket butts. Articles such as breeches, a green regimental coat faced with red, blankets, shirts and books were stolen. General Schuyler on learning of this ordered Captain John Ross and Captain Thomas Patterson with the other officers involved to return all of the stolen articles.
In June of 1776, Colonel Elias Dayton with his Third New Jersey Continental Regiment and Colonel Frederick Visscher with the Third Regiment of Tyron County Militia built a stockade around the stone jail in Johnstown with two blockhouses in diagonal corners. One of the blockhouses was partly built with planks from the home of Loyalist John Hare who lived near the jail.
Fort Johnstown was usually garrisoned with men from Colonel Visscher's Regiment until in the summer of 1777 when part of Colonel James Livingston's Regiment of Continentals (Second Canadian Regiment) garrisoned the fort.
In 1778 and 1779, the fort was most garrisoned by men from Colonel Visscher's Regiment and Colonel Abraham Wemple's Regiment of Albany County Militia (Second Regiment).
In 1780, the fort was garrisoned with men from Colonel Visscher's Regiment and Colonel John Harper's Regiment of New York State Levies. Captain Walter Vrooman from Colonel Harper's Regiment was usually in charge of the fort.
On May 22nd when Sir John Johnson with 500 Indians and Loyalists raided the Mohawk Valley and on marching to his home in Johnstown he by-passed the fort for he did not want to suffer any heavy casualties in attacking the fort.
In 1781, the fort was garrisoned by men from Colonel Visscher's Regiment and in the summer and fall with a detachment from Colonel Marinus Willett's Regiment of New York State Levies. The fort was under command of Captain John Little from Colonel Visscher's Regiment.
In the first part of October, a party of eleven men under John Cook from the King's Royal Regiment of New York (Johnson's Greens) attacked Fort Johnstown. The sentry on duty on being fired at returned the fire and hit Cook in the leg. The Loyalists retreated with their injured comrade but Cook with some of the others were captured and put in the jail at the fort and later they were sent to Schenectady.
On October 24th, Major John Ross and Captain Walter Butler with 607 men were in the Mohawk Valley burning and killing. On October 25th, Major Ross with his troops on arriving at Johnstown attacked the fort but were quickly repulsed with cannon and musket fire. The garrison left the fort in pursuit of Ross when they met a scouting party that had left the fort earlier under Captain Little. Captain Little ordered the garrison back to the fort.
Just after reaching the fort, Colonel Willett and his men arrived. On being informed of the enemy's movements, Colonel Willett left the fort taking all but eleven men from Fort Johnstown.
During the battle prisoners were brought to the fort and after the battle they were taken to Fort Hunter and afterwards they were taken to Schenectady. Some of the wounded from the battle were also brought to the fort where their wounds were treated.
In 1782 and 1783 the fort was garrisoned with troops from Colonel Visscher's and Colonel Willett's Regiments under Captain Little. During the war many Loyalists were imprisoned at Fort Johnstown and then they were sent to Schenectady. Isaac DeGraff who served as Deputy Commissary of Issues, was stationed at Fort Johnstown from October 1776 until July 1, 1780. DeGraff was responsible for supplies to various regiments and forts including Fort Johnstown and Colonel Visscher's Regiment.
The jail at the fort is now the Fulton County Jail located on the corner of South Perry and East Montgomery Streets. In September of 1849 the Fulton County Jail caught on fire and the interior was badly damaged and one of the stone walls had to be rebuilt but three walls were original of the jail that was used during the revolution.
INDIANS AT JOHNSTOWN
In January of 1778, General Philip Schuyler sent a belt to the Six Nations, asking them to a council at Johnstown in February. The Senecas refused to participate in the council because of Oriskany the year before and the Cayugas also were not interested in the council. The council was delayed until March because of the delay in gathering the Indians for the council.
On March 7th, the council assembled at Johnstown, as requested by General Schuyler. About 700 Indians consisting of Tuscaroras, Onondagas, Oneidas a few Mohawks and a few Cayugas had assembled at Johnstown. General Schuyler, the Marquis de LaFayette, James Duane and a few others also were at the council.
The purpose of the council was to have the Nations represented to side with the Americans or at least remain neutral. After a few days the council ended with only the Oneidas and the Tuscaroras pledging their friendship to the Continental Congress.
How long the Marquis de LaFayette remained in Johnstown is unknown but he wrote a letter* at Johnstown to Colonel Peter Gansevoort of the Third New York Continental Regiment who was in command at Fort Schuyler concerning a Loyalist named Carleton who was believed to be in the area.
*Jeptha R. Simms, Frontiersmen of New York, Vol. 2, p 145.
FISH HOUSE AND MAYFIELD INVADED
On June 2, 1778 a raiding party of about 100 Indians and Loyalists under Lieutenant John Ross appeared in Mayfield. On passing through Philadelphia Bush the enemy captured Charles Marinus and his son John, George Cook and his son Henry and Augustus Eikler. A party of Indians attacked the Mayfield grist mill and killed its miller, Henry Kelly and then they set the mill on fire. Mrs. Kelly escaped into the woods and made her way to Fort Johnstown.
The enemy then proceeded to Fonda's Bush and there they captured John Putman, Joseph Scott, John Reese, Herman Salisbury and Andrew Bowman. After leaving there they captured Edward Conner, Michael Carman, Hendrick Wormwood, Robert Martin and David Harris. The enemy encamped for the night at Sir William Johnson's Summer House at the Vlaie. Here Augustus Eikler, who was too old to travel, Hendrick Wormwood; who was too lame to travel, Edward Conner and Michael Carman were released.
Sergeant Solomon Woodworth while on a scout to the Fish House that afternoon, discovered the house of Robert Martin empty and on discovering the tracks of a large raiding party immediately headed for the home of Godfrey Shew to warn him of a possible attack on his house.
Woodworth arrived at the Shew home near night and on informing Godfrey of the possible attack they prepared to receive the enemy. Woodworth and the Shews stood guard all night and the next morning June 3rd, Woodworth, Godfrey and John Shew went out to find the whereabouts of the enemy. Stephen and Jacob Shew stayed behind to guard the house.
After traveling some distance, the scouting party was surprised and taken prisoners by a party of Indians and they were taken to the enemy's nearby encampment. Jacob, who had been stationed on a knoll near the house that overlooked the nearby Sacondaga River, saw a cone coming down the river, and he ran back home to inform his mother about the presence of the enemy. On reaching the house, Jacob was taken prisoner and his brother Stephen by another party of the enemy that came from another direction.
The Shew house and barn were set on fire, leaving Mrs. Shew with her smaller children homeless. The enemy took Jacob and Stephen to the main encampment where the other prisoners were held. Mrs. Shew with her children started for Johnstown and they reached Fort Johnstown on June 4th.
The enemy with their prisoners went up the Sacondaga River in canoes until they reached the present day Conklingville where they encamped for the night. That night Woodworth escaped by pretending to be sick and he was allowed to go down to the river alone to vomit. Seizing this opportunity, Woodworth made his escape and he reached Johnstown late on June 4th.
In the afternoon of June 3rd, Captain John Little, Lieutenant John Higgins, Commissary of Issues Isaac DeGraff and Private Thomas Butler who were at Fort Johnstown when Mrs. Kelly arrived, immediately went to Mayfield and Fish House and found many of the houses empty and some burned but because the raiding party was so large, they returned to Fort Johnstown and Captain Little went to Caughnawaga for additional help, but the enemy was too far ahead to be caught.
In the morning of June 4th, the enemy broke camp after searching for Woodworth and again started on their journey to Canada. On reaching the Caughnawaga Indian Village about nine miles above Montreal, John Shew, Joseph Scott, Andrew Bowman, George Cook and his son Henry were kept by the Indians while Godfrey Shew, Jacob Shew, Stephen Shew, John Putman, Herman Salisbury, John Reese, Robert Martin, David Harris, Charles Marinus and his son John were given to the British troops as prisoners of war.
JACOB AND SAMUEL DUNHAM SLAIN
In the morning of April 11, 1779, a party of Indians visited Fort Hunter for the purpose of removing their families from the fort. That afternoon on their way back to Canada they passed the home of Jacob Dunham in Mayfield. The Indians found Jacob and his son Samuel chopping a tree in one of their fields near the house. The two men had leaned their muskets against a nearby tree.
The Indians crept closer and closer to the unsuspecting men. The Indians were so near that if the two men tried to escape or reach their muskets they would be shot before they could do so.
The Indians now stood up, gave their dreaded yell and rushed Jacob and Samuel. The two men attempted to reach their muskets but they were killed before they could reach them. The Indians now headed for the house.
Mrs. Dunham with her son Silas, on hearing musket fire, ran for the safety of the woods. Zebulon, another son, was taken prisoner by the Indians while attempting to escape in to the woods. The Indians took Zebulon back to the house and they started to plunder the house.
While the Indians were busy plundering the house, Zebulon saw his chance to escape. Zebulon now slipped out the back door but not before one of the Indians saw him. The Indian pursued Zebulon into the woods but he escaped by hiding under a fallen tree and the Indian returned to the house to finish plundering. After the Indians finished plundering the house, they left and once again started on their way to Canada.
Mrs. Dunham with her two sons started on their journey to Johnstown. On reaching Fort Johnstown, Mrs. Dunham informed Captain John little what had happened. The next day a party of men buried the two slain Dunham's and pursued the enemy but they were too far ahead and the men returned to Fort Johnstown.
A SAD DAY IN TILLEBOROUGH
In the afternoon of Tuesday, April 20, 1779, a party of nine Indians entered the Tilleborough (Ephratah) settlement undetected. At this time Captain Nicholas Rechtor who was in command of the local Militia Company was about a mile from his house in an open field drilling his company.
The Indians on entering the settlement proceeded to the house of Henry Hart. A daughter of Hart saw the Indians approaching and stole away and headed for the place where the men were gathered. The girl on reaching there informed Captain Rechtor that the Indians were at her father's house. Captain Rechtor with Jacob Apply, Peter Shite and two other men went with Rechtor to his house. The other militiamen ran to their homes to protect their families.
While the girl had gone to warn Captain Rechtor, the Indians had broken into her father's home. Hart was tomahawked and scalped and his son William was taken prisoner. The Indians then plundered the house and afterwards they set it on fire.
The Indians now proceeded to the house of Jacob Apply, which they also plundered and burned to the ground. The Indians now went to the house of Captain Rechtor, which was bigger than the other houses in the settlement.
Two of Rechtor's daughters were in the nearby woods getting sap and carrying it to a kettle to be boiled. Henry, the youngest son of Captain Rechtor was playing near the edge of the woods when the Indians arrived. The Indians tomahawked and scalped the boy and then went to the house to plunder and burn it.
The Indians on entering the house took Mrs. Rechtor captive and took her outside. Just then Captain Rechtor and his men arrived. Captain Rechtor and his men fired at the Indians, killing two and accidentally wounding Mrs. Rechtor in the leg. The remaining Indians immediately returned the fire at the militiamen. Captain Rechtor was hit in the arm, Peter Shite was hit in the elbow and Jacob Apply was killed. The Indians after firing retreated into the woods thinking that the militiamen were superior in number. Unknowingly, an Indian named Leween was left in the house who was still plundering and thought the shooting outside to be that of his companions killing the cattle.
Captain Rechtor and his men secured the door and had fixed bayonets, but Leween determined not to be taken prisoner attempted to run through them but he was fired at and stabbed. Leween was shot in the knee and stabbed in the arm and chest. Leween although badly wounded, again attempted to run through them, brandishing his tomahawk and then grabbed a musket out of one of the soldiers hands and fought his way through and although the militiamen fired at him, they missed and he escaped into the woods.
Leween just about dusk found his companions encamped in the woods but just as he reached them he passed out. Leween's companions took him back to Canada in thirty days where his family tended to his wounds and he recovered. The two uninjured militiamen helped Captain Rechtor, his wife, and Peter Shite back to Fort Paris where their wounds were tended.
The next morning Captain Peter Wagner Jr., Sergeant Jacob Snell, Privates Dennis Augustus Flanders, Daniel Hess, Lodowick Kring, Adam A. Loucks, Henry Walrath with fourteen other men went to the Tilleborough settlement to gather the dead.
After Captain Wagner and his men had left the fort, Captain Rechtor's two daughters reached the fort unharmed. The two girls on hearing musket fire near the house hid in the woods and remained during the night and thinking it safe in the morning they headed for the fort. Later that morning Captain Wagner and his men returned to Fort Paris with the bodies of Hart, Apply and the Rechtor boy where they were buried.
THE SACONDAGA BLOCKHOUSE
On April 20, 1779, Tilleborough was raided and a messenger was sent to Albany for troops. General James Clinton with Colonel Peter Gansevoort and his regiment of Continentals (Third New York) and with Colonel Abraham Wemple and his regiment marched to Johnstown arriving on April 21st. On arriving at Johnstown, General Clinton was joined by a detachment of the Tyron County Militia.
General Clinton and his troops searched for signs of the enemy and while at Johnstown he decided that a blockhouse at Sacondaga should be built for the protection of the local inhabitants in that area. General Clinton ordered Colonel Gansevoort to take charge of building the blockhouse and Clinton returned with Wemple's Regiment to Albany.
Colonel Gansevoort in conjunction with Colonel Frederick Visscher and his regiment started to build the blockhouse about May 1st. A few days later, General Clinton with the Schenectady militia arrived at Sacondaga to assist in the building of the blockhouse. After two weeks of hard work the blockhouse was completed and named the Sacondaga Blockhouse. It was nicknamed by Lieutenant-Colonel Marinus Willett Fort Folly* and it was also commonly called Fort Visscher in honor of Colonel Visscher whose regiment was stationed at the blockhouse most of the time.
The following is a list of the men that are known to have been at Sacondaga to help build the blockhouse: General James Clinton, Colonel Peter Gansevoort, Colonel Frederick Visscher, Lieutenant-Colonel Marinus Willett, Major John Newkirk, Captain Thomas Banker, Ensign Cornelius Z. Santvoord, Sergeant Gerrit DeSpitzer, Sergeant Solomon Woodworth, Privates Ephraim Bradt, Abraham Covenhoven.
*Pension of Isaac Covenhoven No. S12531
AN ATTACK ON THE SACONDAGA BLOCKHOUSE
In the afternoon of Tuesday, March 28, 1780, a party of seven Indians including their leader John Brant appeared at the Mayfield settlement. The Indians entered three different houses and the Indians interrogated the three farmers about the Sacondaga Blockhouse. The farmers told the Indians that all of the garrison except for one man left the blockhouse on March 27th.
The Indians left the farmers as they claimed they were loyal to the Crown and hid in the woods near the blockhouse waiting for the lone militiaman to venture out. Solomon Woodworth*, who was the man in the blockhouse did not come out all afternoon and the Indians decided to set the blockhouse on fire that night.
Two of the Indians fixed combustibles to two long poles and about midnight the Indians set the roof of the blockhouse on fire. Woodworth a few minutes later opened the door and discovered the roof on fire and seeing the two Indians with burning poles saw the rest of the party and returned into the blockhouse and secured the door. Just before Woodworth returned into the blockhouse, five of the Indians fired at him and he was slightly wounded in the side.
Woodworth quickly knocked the burning boards off and Woodworth went to one of the loopholes and fired at the Indians. One of the Indians was hit in the thigh and they heard Woodworth call out "Have you got what you wanted".** The Indians picked up their wounded comrade and retreated from the blockhouse and after traveling six miles they halted and made camp for the night.
The next morning Woodworth left the blockhouse*** and went to Fort Johnstown and on arriving there he informed Lieutenant-Colonel Volkert Veeder what had happened. On Thursday March 30th, Sergeant Woodworth with John Eikler, Joseph Mayall, Peter Pruyn, David Putman and Ruliff Voorhis went in pursuit of the Indians on snowshoes. Lieutenant-Colonel Veeder marched to the blockhouse with sixty men. Woodworth and his men caught up to the enemy on April 1st, after pursuing them about sixty miles.
They found five of the Indians near a campfire drying the meat of an elk they had recently killed. The Indians fired at the militiamen but they missed and Woodworth**** grabbed one of the Indians and tomahawked him. Woodworth then grabbed another Indian and tomahawked him and the other militiamen shot the remaining three Indians.*****
The militiaman took the Indians' packs and muskets and returned to Fort Johnstown. John Brant with the other Indian returned to their camp after hunting and found their slain comrades and immediately headed for the safety of Canada.
*Woodworth moved into the blockhouse in the first party of January with his family. On March 27th, Mrs. Woodworth went with the garrison to Johnstown.
**Letter from Colonel Daniel Claus to General Haldimand, Montreal, April 17, 1780.
***The site of the blockhouse is located on the Vandenburg Point Road in the Town of Mayfield.
****Pension record of Ruliff Voorhis No. R10964.
*****One of the slain Indians was Leween who was one of the Indians that attacked the Telleborough settlement on April 20, 1770 and in that same raid he was severely wounded.
JOHNSON RETURNS TO JOHNSTOWN
About midnight on May 21, 1780, Colonel Sir John Johnson with 528 men from the King's Royal Regiment of New York, 34th Regiment and Indians arrived at the northern part of the Johnstown settlement. Colonel Johnson split his detachment into two parties. One party was to go to Tribes Hill and destroy it, while he with the other detachment would destroy Caughnawaga. They were to meet at the home of Douw Fonda in Caughnawaga.
Shortly after midnight a party of Indians broke into the home of Lodowick Putman. Lodowick and his son Aaron were killed. After the Indians had plundered the house they left to join the main party. Mrs. Putman with her daughter after the Indians had left headed for Fort Johnstown and arrived there about daylight.
Another party of the enemy attacked the home of Amasa Stephens a son-in-law of Lodowick Putman who lived in Mayfield. Stephens was dragged from his house and killed. Mrs. Stephens with her two small children after the enemy had left headed for Fort Johnstown and arrived there shortly after daylight.
Johnson with his detachment met the other detachment at Douw Fonda's home and Fonda was killed. The Caughnawaga settlement was destroyed as far as Anthony's Nose where Johnson and his men halted for a few hours.
About twelve o'clock that afternoon Johnson with his men crossed the Mohawk River and headed for the Village of Johnstown. On the way to Johnstown the enemy burned the home of William Wallace and a few others. On reaching Johnstown, Johnson and his men by-passed Fort Johnstown garrisoned by about fifty men under Captain Walter Vrooman. Johnson went to the Hall where he dug up the papers and silver that he buried in May of 1776 when he fled to Canada. Joseph Scott and Benjamin Deline living at the Hall were taken prisoners.
Colonel John Harper and Lieutenant-Colonel Volkert Veeder with about 300 men marched to Johnstown in pursuit of Johnson. Harper and his men arrived at Johnson's Hall just when Johnson and his men were entering the woods. A few shots were exchanged but Harper ordered his men to stop firing for he feared for the safety of the prisoners held by Johnson.
Johnson and his men encamped at Mayfield for the night and remained there until late in the day of May 23rd when he headed back to Canada and he was unmolested in his return journey. Colonel Harper did not pursue Johnson until he received reinforcements and on receiving about 200 men from Schenectady, he marched to Mayfield but found Johnson gone. Harper pursued them for several miles but it was in vain. On his return he sent a reinforcement to the Sacondaga Blockhouse which had not been attacked by Johnson.
A MILL IN TILLEBOROUGH IS BURNED
In the summer of 1780* a party of Indians and Loyalists entered the Tilleborough (Ephratah) settlement and headed for the stone grist mill which had been built in 1770 by Sir William Johnson. On reaching the grist mill the enemy found William Cool** who happened to be there to have some grain milled, and Elias Krep the miller. Cool was killed and scalped while attempting to escape and Krep was taken prisoner. The mill was set on fire and then the Indians with their prisoner headed back to Canada.
*It is not know if the date of the burning of the grist is accurate but on page 318, Vo. 2 of Frontiersmen Of New York by Simms places the date of the attack in 1780 from an interview with Benjamin Getman.
**On page 529 in the History of Fulton County by Frothingham places William Cool at the grist mill and as being killed but Simms on page 318 only mentions Krep.
SKIRMISH NEAR LAMPMAN'S FARM
In the morning of Sunday July 29, 1781, Lieutenant Jacob I. Klock with about thirty Indians and Loyalists encamped in the woods near one Lampman's farm and after resting they would attack the nearby settlement.
Philip Helmer one of the party told Lieutenant Klock that he was going to get a negro belonging to Richard Failing. Helmer after leaving the encampment went to Fort Hess and informed the garrison there of the enemy's whereabouts. A messenger was sent to Fort Paris about the presence of the enemy.
Captain Henry Miller at Fort Paris on receiving this intelligence gathered some of the militia at the fort and a few more joined them that were at church. Lieutenant Jacob Sammons with about ten levies joined them making their party about twenty-five men.
Captain Miller and Lieutenant Sammons with their men now went to where the enemy was encamped. William Feeter, Andrew Gray with four other men were in advance discovered the enemy's encampment and fired at them. One of the Indians fell to the ground with a musket ball from Gray's musket.
Now the enemy scurried to their feet and grabbed their muskets and then returned the fire. After about fifteen minutes of fighting, the enemy retreated leaving the dead Indian behind and taking with them one wounded Indian back to Canada. One of Captain Miller's men was slightly wounded and after Gray had scalped the Indian that he had killed, they returned to Fort Paris.
The following are names of the raiding party that are known: Lieutenant Jacob I. Klock, Philip Helmer who gave himself up as a prisoner to the garrison at Fort Hess, Matthias Wormwood, Nicholas Rosencrantz, John Anguish, Henry Heiney and Nicholas Herkimer. The following is a list of the militiamen and levies that are known to have been at Lampman's: Captain Henry Miller, Lieutenant Isaac Paris, Lieutenant Jacob Sammons, Sergeant Jacob Snell, Corporal John L. Nellis, Privates William Feeter, Christopher W. Fox, Peter W. Fox, William W. Fox, Andrew Gray, Peter N. Kilts, Wyant Lepper, Adam A. Loucks, George Loucks, George Saltsman, Henry Shults, Peter Sits, Isaac Walrath and George Walter.
The above is from pages 1-8 of the book, Fulton County in the Revolution, and typed by dedicated volunteer, Peggy Menear. A copy of this book can found at the Montgomery County Department of History and Archives in Fonda, New York. Peggy is researching her Chatterton line from the Mohawk Valley. If you have any connection to or information about the Chatterton's, she would love to hear from you.
On to next chapter, The Hall Battle
Back to the index page, Fulton County in the Revolution
Copyright ©1977-2000, James
Copyright ©2000, Peggy Menear
Copyright ©2000, Jeanette Shiel
All Rights Reserved.
Last updated Tuesday, 13-May-2008 13:36:13 PDT